Blocky Jet Exhaust and Tire Smoke

Thread: Blocky Jet Exhaust and Tire Smoke

Blocky Jet Exhaust and Tire Smoke

Some weird stuff started happening to my jet exhaust and tire smoke. It looks like a bunch of black squares instead of smoke. Anyone have any ideas? Corrupted effects file?

Regards,

LT1

I would suspect the video card is getting tired, or it has dust packed in or on it and it's getting hot

Video card could be getting too hot, how long since you cleaned the dust out of the heatsink and fan? Oh, any recent updating of your video card drivers?
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

In some cases, that could also be a missing texture or two in the "effects\texture" folder. I've had that problem from time to time with aircraft lights.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

My guess would be a missing texture file associated with the corresponding effect. Open the aircraft.cfg file and scroll down to the affected effect. Next, go to the effects folder and open up the affected effect. See if you can decipher which texture is associated with that effect and then make sure it's in the "..\effects\texture" folder. If not, that's your problem. You'll have to re-install that particular texture.
    Cheers,
    Dave

I had a similar situation, and was able to remedy it using the FSX disk and the "Repair" option. It's most likely a corrupted file if the problem is persistent.

Thanks guys. I'll try repairing with the FSX disk and if that doesn't work, I'll take a look at the video card. The system's only about 15 months old and it's an Alienware, so it should be pretty high quality. I'm just wondering if it's a texture issue, how something got corrupted. That effect has always worked fine and I don't recall doing anything lately to change it, although I did recently buy a few payware planes.

Regards,

LT1

Guys, just to let you know, it was a bad texture file in the effects folder, I believe the smoke texture. I installed FSX fresh on another computer, and copied the texture files from that puter to my gaming puter install. That did the trick.

Regards,

LT1

Glad you got it fixed!:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members who have read this thread: 0