Yukon Gold Rush
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yukon Gold Rush

Yukon Gold Rush

Arrived in the Pacific Northwest. Now looking for work...
    -Mike

Are we ever gonna start this adventure or procrastinate until X-mas interferes? Just asking. :mixedsmi:

p.s. cool Otter Mike!
    -John-

Picked up this French STOL number at a Montreal airshow earlier this year. Looks like it will come in handy...

Got this little bush plane a while back and this seems like as good a time to use it as any. Loaded up with some cargo fresh from Havana and ready to head north.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Got this little bush plane a while back and this seems like as good a time to use it as any. Loaded up with some cargo fresh from Havana and ready to head north.
    Willy, what is that plane? Thanks, NC

Ready for the Yukon run. I “borrowed” this plane from the RCAF. Or did I borrow it from the United Nations? Hopefully the latter. Don't want the RCAF after me... Pete, that plane Willy's flying in Bill Lyon's Sikorsky S-43 flying boat. Or amphibian, actually.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Ready for the Yukon run. I “borrowed” this plane from the RCAF. Or did I borrow it from the United Nations? Hopefully the latter. Don't want the RCAF after me... Pete, that plane Willy's flying in Bill Lyon's Sikorsky S-43 flying boat. Or amphibian, actually.
    Thanks Paul!

Will it work in FSX?

Pete

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar

Nope we in the CAF don't mind if ya borrow her. Just leave some booze for the ground crews lol.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Paul, is that Mike Stone's aircraft?

Always wanted to do a Caribou and a Buffalo ... have a ton of data and specs for them.

Note: the center picture was typical of the VietNam air fields in the back country.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Buffalo, you'd have a bunch of happy canuks for sure.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Paul, is that Mike Stone's aircraft?

Always wanted to do a Caribou and a Buffalo ... have a ton of data and specs for them.

Note: the center picture was typical of the VietNam air fields in the back country.
    The one I'm flying is the Alphasim C-7. I did use Mike Stone's version, with the same paint, as an AI, sent out to the other members of this upcoming Yukon misadventure.
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Thanks Paul!

Will it work in FSX?

Pete
    Unknown. It's an older model. I haven't tried it in FSX. I would guess if suffers from most of the issues such planes encounter in FSX.
    HP Reverb G2

Does Bill Lyon's Sikorsky S-43 flying boat work in FSX?

Thanks.

NC

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Nope we in the CAF don't mind if ya borrow her. Just leave some booze for the ground crews lol.
    Rgr that CG_1976! I'll try to bring her back in one piece! Of course, if knowledge of past misadventures of this bunch gets out, the RCAF may decide it has reason for concern...
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Does Bill Lyon's Sikorsky S-43 flying boat work in FSX?

Thanks.

NC
    That's the one I was refering to. But heck, one way to find out right? Stand by...
    HP Reverb G2

So odd that DHC would name the "Caribou" after a denizen of the north (although they perhaps were thinking of the Woodland Caribou that lives further south...) and then render it a poor winter/cold wx aircraft. Once the temp. drops below -15C (common at this time of year in the Yukon) operators leave the covers on and relegate the crews to desk duty - the engines were optimized for SE Asia and can't stay warm at low ambient temps. ( and then there's the lack of cabin heat, but who cares about crew comfort?)

BTW Paul, the a/c are RCAF, assigned to Canadian-operated United Nations Peace-Keeping duties (at the time, Cyprus and the Sinai IIRC) and were painted in UN colours. This had a dual purpose - 1) to make the 'neutrality' obvious and 2) to remove the 'legal' concerns of 'foreign military aircraft operating in sovereign states' -- not surprisingly, most still showed some signs of combat damage from one side or another.

Now, if I can work my way thru the comprehensive Ops Manual and figure out how to keep the engines running I'll bring along another cargo-hauler (better be some kerosene available...) that actually worked in Canadian winters...
    Attachment 24727

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Well, Bill Lyon's S-43 has plenty of "issues" since it's such an old model. However, George Diemer recently made a whole series of S-43s that do work in both FS9 and FSX. Look for jrs11j1.zip, and jrs11j9.zip at FlightSim.com or AVSIM. Here's some pics of the George Diemer one:
    HP Reverb G2

The main reason I use Bill Lyons' S43 over Diemer's is that the Lyons one has some personalized custom features that were available to those who bought it as payware (I was one of the first to put in a paid order for Golden Hawaii before it's release). It's an early FS9 model and Bill Lyons was usually a bit ahead of MS Aces on features so his work doesn't usually translate well into later FS releases.

Well, Bill Lyon's S-43 has plenty of "issues" since it's such an old model. However, George Diemer recently made a whole series of S-43s that do work in both FS9 and FSX. Look for jrs11j1.zip, and jrs11j9.zip at FlightSim.com or AVSIM. Here's some pics of the George Diemer one:
    Thanks, Paul, for your information!!!

Pete

Rumor control has it that the Yukon Gold Rush will start tonight at the usual time and server.

We got off to a good start in some interesting weather and terrain. And I'd forgotten how much of a fight the S43 can be to handle. But we made it to Salmon Arm with few problems.

Well, here we are at KPDX, Portland, Ore. All ready for our flight up to KBVS for the start of the Yukon Adventure. Sure hope this junket will be profitable this time. Pictures, Setting on the ramp at PDX.. Taxing to active runway. Climbing out of PDX.

Hey, we are off and running for the Yukon Adventure. The first leg of the journey proceeded along without any problems, with the exception of remembering if we all checked the cabin heaters. We flew over one big rock pile, which was absolutely beautiful in it’s majesty allure. But sure would hate to try to land there in an emergency. Needed to be a little careful on landing, the approach with the weather was a little spooky, and the runway was partly covered with snow and ice. Now, the hard part comes, unloading the cargo for Salmon Arms and reloading cargo for towns further north. Where UPS when you need them! But then, we wouldn’t get paid! Pictures. On the ramp at KBVS. Flying over the mountains. Landing at Salmon Arm CZAM.

A few more shots of the trip to Salmon Arm. The beautiful weather gave a great view of the mountains until it deteriorated to fog, clouds, and granite. The descent and circling approach were made more interesting by the low overcast and nearby peaks. But all made it safely enough. Shown are Willy (Si-43), SrG (C-46), Moses (MH.1521), MM (DHC-6) and Taco (C-119). Not in picture are DD (C-47) and JC (D18S). Great flight with wonderfully informative guided tour by SrG.
    -Mike

After yesterday's near disasterous "landing" with the Sikorsky and some practice flights today that were not any better, I had the floats put back on my Beech 18 and had it flown in to replace the Sikorsky. My copilot Gus is breathing easier now that he's not having to fly in that "crazy killer" S43. Not that he was doing any of the flying anyway.....