MS Train Simulator compatability Question ?????

Thread: MS Train Simulator compatability Question ?????

MS Train Simulator compatability Question ?????

Does anyone know if "items" can be brought into CFS2 from this package as well as the Abacus Train Sim Modeler, Railyard Collection, & Scenic Railway ??????

If so it could raise a few extra possabilities for the game, .

Hi S,
    Hmmm, interesting?

I wonder what programme the models were made with. Are they separate models in themselves? If so, what file type and size are they?

Possibly they could be converted to bgls and made static models or animated as part of scenery (See Just Flight's Dam Busters/Mosquito Sqn), but the source files may be needed....

Cheers Shessi

Very Interesting Question?

This is kind of aside but as I’ve been trying to learn some technical details of CFS2, a lot of my Googles have landed me at train sim sites – don’t they use GMax sometimes?

Yea, I too will be interested in the response on this thread.

train sim developers use Gmax to build their visual models.
    Gmax users could most certainly download trainsim gamepacks and source examples and export them as CFS2 compatible objects.

Will add tis one to my "To Do" list, would be nice to have train busting sweeps, flak trains, railway artillery, and armoured trains added to the mix.

Thinking laterally, if we can get working railways in, then how about a mod for working highways with traffic as per CFS3 ?

If the train sim objects can be brought in successfully then there is also the ship sim option as well which would allow for further expansion of the fleet operations. Might even allow for convoy work, or the Dunkirk bomb run dodge option.

Would have been nice if Microbuck$ had thought about ease of inter-operation for these sims !!!!!

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Exclamation Tempting Fate

If THIS doesn't get one of our diagnostic conversion gurus salivating, I don't know WHAT will !!!

http://hawkdawg.com/MSTS/rts/ww2.htm

It's already made - all's we gotta do is translate it into something compatible....

SC
    "...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

Now that I have stopped drooling:-
    There must also be more that we can beg/borrow to enhance the sim.

Will keep an eye out to see what can be done, hopefully some of the others can also see the benefits of these type of additions !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info & link sc7500

Another link that may useful for how things are done:-
    http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/index.html

And some of whats available:-
    http://msts.steam4me.net/steam/index.html

some train sim models even have some element of multiple LOD. Even so they would require modiffication easiest done in Gmax.
    Having Gmax source material to play with is great for becoming familiar with the Gmax user interface.
    It has always been the task of exporting from gmax to CFS2 usable files that gets most budding developers so frustrated.
    Gmax is such a powerful tool for creating models, but there is no button for make a CFS2 object. One has to export as an aircraft model or a fixed scenery object and then decompile and hand edit it to get usable CFS2 objects.

As for rail infrastructure I remember having a discussion with someone about this. We had the MSTS gamepack and were playing with embankments.
    The rails and sleepers were quite detailed for LOD 100, but the embankment itself was suitably simple. The problem is placing as infrastructure. Since objects sit on terrain you have to find very flat routes for your rail ways or create flattens or build special lengths of sloping track at different degrees of pitch to cope with verious inclines.
    Gmax is free to download BTW.