DC-3 - Legends of Flight is released! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DC-3 - Legends of Flight is released!

Quote Originally Posted by WAD3 View Post
    Thats is what has happened to me. I keep thinking of the B-17 and all the "character" you hear just taxiing to takeoff. I think this will be a let down.

Andrew
    I also find myself thinking about the A2A B-17 and also the Aerosoft Catalina. I understand that not everybody can do (or wants to deal with) in-depth systems modeling - sometimes I don't. But the soundset and animations can provide good atmosphere (the Aerosoft Beaver is atmospheric, thanks mainly to sound). Those are lacking here. The DC-3 much better than default but misses that character and "you are there" feeling - which a DC-3 should have. If a good soundset could be added, that would help.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by krazycolin View Post
    the B-17 has working weapons? that's news to me....
    It doesn't. And the bombs don't explode, they just drop and disappear. But the weight and performance of the aircraft change when you drop them. So absent weapons, there's still a lot going on.

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    It doesn't. And the bombs don't explode, they just drop and disappear. But the weight and performance of the aircraft change when you drop them. So absent weapons, there's still a lot going on.

The turrets are active if you turn them on in one of the menus.

I added the weapons pack by Chris Sykes and I get bombs that drop and explode on impact.
    The only niggle is that you see the original 6 drop and disappear along with the 6 from
    the weapons pack.

Paul ( spoiled by Accusim! )

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBaron View Post
    The turrets are active if you turn them on in one of the menus.

I added the weapons pack by Chris Sykes and I get bombs that drop and explode on impact.
    The only niggle is that you see the original 6 drop and disappear along with the 6 from
    the weapons pack.

Paul ( spoiled by Accusim! )
    True - the turrets move and the guns traverse and elevate, but they don't fire.

I haven't tried the weapons pack, though I've read about it. I mostly use the B-17 for transportation, weather observation and other peaceful pursuits...

But am equally spoiled by Accusim.

-- Saint-Exupery

In my humble opinion Just Flight did an excellent job on the DC-3/C-47 Legends and expansion . In the past years I have logged quite a few hours in the default DC-3 and MAMM's port-over and all of the excellent paints that has been made for it . The Legends flies very well and I try to fly as close as I can to the manual(within my ability). As far as a "living aircraft " as some described , the Legends engrosses me and give me a feeling of living in the past . The term " eye candy " as been mentioned and I personally love " eye candy " whether it be on an aircraft or scenery . IMO it enhances the feeling of being there . Especially partial to the AC-47 and the C-47 D-Day . I had a chance to see the "Spooky" up and personnal at Danang in 1967 when we were under a rocket attack and a AC-47 was on final and if memory serves me right and just touched down(?17R or 17L?). It did a quick T & G and from what I heard later had apparently saw the Rocket flashes(Russian 144's? --if I have correctly the size) and took care of business , destroying the rockets along with a few VC . To me it sounded like a "buzz saw" . The C-47 D-Day constantly reminds me of my uncle(RIP) who made the jump into Normandy and Bastogne with the 101st Screaming Eagles .

Bottom Line: "To each his own". We all have different tastes and wants and we fortunately are blessed with all of this excellent freeware and payware by some really talented designers .

Love the Just Flight Legends DC-3/C-47 with Expansion ,

Rich

Just a follow up on the sound . The AC-47 "Spooky" has the gun sounds(after activating switch on VC panel then using the "I " key on keyboard . I personally like the engine sounds and have used several over the years .

BTW: I'm not anyway affiliated with Just Flight , just a satisfied customer . I also have Aerosoft's Catalina and love it . Quite a challenge and learning curve for me anyway but I really enjoy it and as soon as I devote more time in learning , I'm planning on doing some serious South Pacific and SE Asia long distance flying in it and the JF Legends DC-3/C-47 .

This is too much fun for a man my age to have but having a ball doing it .

Retired and currently a flight sim addict . Now , off to the fridge for a cold one .

Rich

I like it. No, definitely not an A2A Accusim, but a fine example of the DC3.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Ok the SOH Yellowknife man is testing the Buffalo and listening to the sounds and will report back.:salute: Cough cough after smelling Avgas all day in -25. Yep RW Buffalo was a chugging today.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Hi Martyn,

Have had time to check the instillation and I have 23 aircraft including the Bufflao paint. Appears everything is ok.

A question though. Do you plan another expansion pack to include a DC-3 with the extra windiow cut in the area over the wing where in a military version the navigator and radio operators sit? A lot of civilian passenger aircraft have these windows there (actually flown in one). Also is the Viewmaster version in the works?

One minor critique though. Perhaps I have been spoilt beta testing and flying the released version of the DC-2 but I have found 2 slight differences. On the DC-2 they modelled the pilot and co-pilot's side windows so you could click on them and they would open. Also the door from the cockpit to the passenger cabin also opened with a click. Other than that, a wonderful aircraft.

Cheers
    Pat

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

All in all a nice package with a good variety of representative aircraft but I have a few niggles also.

Missing some cockpit ambient sounds, already mentioned by others, but I'll just add my own.

I know you were doing a representative DC-3 VC and understand why but it's still odd seeing the cowl flap controls in the Cyclone powered non-CF aircraft.

Cyl head temp gauge needs to be fixed. The scale tops out at 150C but the 5 min take-off max of the P-W 1830's is 260C and normal cruise max is 232C. Took me a couple of flights to realize why even with 100% cowl flaps my temps were pegged.

Look forward to maybe more addon packs with other variations of the -3 (and functional 2 stage blowers while I'm wishing ).

edit, a closer shot of the gauge:

Al

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Wishing for Ski's

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post

A question though. Do you plan another expansion pack to include a DC-3 with the extra windiow cut in the area over the wing where in a military version the navigator and radio operators sit? A lot of civilian passenger aircraft have these windows there (actually flown in one). Also is the Viewmaster version in the works?
    Currently there are no plans to release further expansion packs as the development team are busy working on the upcoming Comet. However, we always welcome feedback and requests so it can't be ruled out!

On the DC-2 they modelled the pilot and co-pilot's side windows so you could click on them and they would open.
    Our DC-3 has cockpit windows which should open when you click on the latch.

Thanks
    Martyn

Hi all,

So that we can collect/organise all bug reports, can anyone who identifies something that they feel is a bug please submit a support request?

http://www.justflight.com/supportreq...tProductID=255

I can't guarantee that I won't miss a post or two when scanning forums!

Thanks for the feedback so far.
    Martyn

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Thanks Martyn will have to look harder for the latch

Cheers
    Pat

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Thanks Martyn will have to look harder for the latch

Cheers
    Pat
    Aussieman;

Its not the side windows that open, its the front ones :salute:
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Hi Guys

Because I've pretty much maxed out with addons recently, I had changed my mind about getting this, and thought I'd skip it.

However, seeing the level of willingness and interaction from the developers, has changed my mind once again. I'd MUCH rather have this kind of support from developers than worry about getting systems to 100% etc. Well done guys!

Wife won't be happy, but here comes yet another DC3
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

Thanks for the interesting posts from users, I will get it soon. About sound, for engines there is an addon, if anyone has it and has tried it, can you say its better than the original???...The DC-3 is 75 years old this year, I hope I get to that and pass it......

Sound for DC-3

I just bought the sonic solutions sound pack for the DC-3.I put the sound file into the DC-3 PW sound file.I myself Think is outstanding sound .Bought it over at www.flightsim.com. I seen aolt of DC-3s During screw worm program.In douglas az.They drop fly boxes that broke open when it hit the ground.This was back in the early 70s.I worked on a ranch, and They would fly over our heads and drop the flys.Chet Two Wolves

@ Chet Twowolves - thanks for the heads-up re: the Sonic Solutions soundpack. Just to clarify - much as I like Accusim, I wasn't expecting an Accusim aircraft here. Improved sound would help a lot with the atmosphere and if a third party soundpack provides that, that's great. Is it effective inside the cockpit as well as outside?

@ oldpropfan - Ah! Looks like I mistook the cylinder temp gauge for the oil temp gauge, and misread the scale, too (like I said, these were quick flights). That would explain the pegged gauges. Quick question - is the Buffalo repaint Wright-equipped or P&W-equipped. Sorry, I should know this but I don't have my manual handy. If Wright, that might explain why the cowl flaps seemed to have no effect. Or it might be that they did, but didn't bring the temperature below 150.

Will explore further. I'd like to like this a/c, and I'm happy to work with it.

-- Saint-Exupery

Sound for DC-3

Hi Alan-A.
    Yes you can here great sound outside as well as inside.I do like this sound package.For DC-3.:salute:.Chet Two Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by chet twowolves View Post
    I just bought the sonic solutions sound pack for the DC-3.I put the sound file into the DC-3 PW sound file.I myself Think is outstanding sound .Bought it over at www.flightsim.com. I seen aolt of DC-3s During screw worm program.In douglas az.They drop fly boxes that broke open when it hit the ground.This was back in the early 70s.I worked on a ranch, and They would fly over our heads and drop the flys.Chet Two Wolves
    That's good, but it does then mean, if you want an aircraft with a more immersive soundset, it's not what you'd call a great price once having bought both.
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

Thanks guys for considering my DC3 soundpack. It was on sale for 6 bucks last week at one of the sim shops. I just asked FS Pilot shop to put it on sale at 50% off for all of December so it'll be 6 bux. Hopefully that helps out those that fancy having both without spending a ton. Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Edit: Well I'm sorry to say I can't put just one sound pack on sale according to FS Pilot Shop. They say they can't "because it would be too cheap to sell individually. The processing fees take up too much of the commission to make it worthwhile. One product just isn't valuable enough"

I tried.
    Vance
    Sonic Solutions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the sound-set included with this aircraft. We have taken onboard your criticisms and are currently looking into the possibility of upgrading the existing sound-set.

@dougal95 : Thank you for the kind words! We (JF and AH) are very passionate about the aircraft that we develop. We spent considerable time getting the aircraft as close to perfect as possible, taking into account the time-frame and commercial realities that face all developers and publishers. I really believe this is an excellent aircraft and we will endeavour to fix any issues and improve those areas which people feel have fallen short of their exceptions.

Thanks
    Martyn

DC-3

Hi.I just want to say how much i enjoy justflights DC-3.Its well done.And the C-47s also outstanding.I hope to see some outstanding repaints.Outstanding job.Chet Two Wolves.:salute:

I installed the Sonic Solutions soundset last night and I have to say it makes a huge difference. I finally felt like I was at the controls of an old, ill-tempered, rattling machine. Much more satisfying this way. I'm even thinking about adding it to the Wright versions - not strictly accurate, I know (and that risks opening an old debate, which isn't my intention), but until there's a Wright set availalable, the P&W sounds might add atmosphere if not realism.

@Martyn - that's great news about your considering a sound upgrade. As noted, a Wright set would be nice if that's achievable (I don't know how many Wright Cyclones are in circulation). So would some additional brake and ground sounds.

Re: other issues - on further review, it turns out I have the same issue with the cylinder head temp gauges pegged at 150 no matter what I do with cowl flaps. Noted for the record. But...

...updated bottom line - it's not Accusim and it's not going to be, but it's turning out to be a much more enjoyable experience.

-- Saint-Exupery