FsX Configurator - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 75 of 75

Thread: FsX Configurator

  1. #51
    I've messed with my FSX settings for two days now and what am I finding? This new configurator thing got me pretty close to getting everything out of my computer that I can. It isn't perfect, but it does get close. I'm also finding that my 8800GT is probably holding me back. Looking at the CPU graphs in the Windows performance monitor I see core 0 runs at 20-30%, core 1, 2, and 3 peak at 50%, yet my fps is still jumpy, so either my motherboard and RAM are really poor, or the video card is just not able to keep up. Such is life, the never ending race to gain a few more fps.
    My computer:Win XP 32 Home SP3, Q9650 @ 3.6 GHz, 4GB DDR2-800 RAM @ 800 MHz, EVGA Nvidia 560Ti-SOC-1GB

  2. #52
    Additional observation: Running FSX in normal mode, unlimited FPS or FPS limited within FSX results in core 0 running at no more than 20%, but cores 1, 2, and 3 peg 100%. I guess the external FPS limiter throttles the system sufficiently so that the CPU is not stressed. Interesting.
    My computer:Win XP 32 Home SP3, Q9650 @ 3.6 GHz, 4GB DDR2-800 RAM @ 800 MHz, EVGA Nvidia 560Ti-SOC-1GB

  3. #53
    Looks like a neat tool, but I'm a little confused with the technical info I must enter. I'll appreciate any help

    I have an Intel Core2 Quad CPU, Q9300 @ 2.50GHz. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT.

    How many 'CPUs/Threads' show in task manager? - In the task manager, in the performance tab, it shows ~735 threads (under 'totals'). This doesn't seem the number the tool is looking for. What should I enter?
    How do I know if hyperthreading is active?
    My Video Card is (as mentioned above) a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT - from the 8 series if I'm not mistaken. Should I insert I don't Know in the video card category?

    Thanks alot!

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    Looks like a neat tool, but I'm a little confused with the technical info I must enter. I'll appreciate any help

    I have an Intel Core2 Quad CPU, Q9300 @ 2.50GHz. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT.

    How many 'CPUs/Threads' show in task manager? - In the task manager, in the performance tab, it shows ~735 threads (under 'totals'). This doesn't seem the number the tool is looking for. What should I enter?
    How do I know if hyperthreading is active?
    My Video Card is (as mentioned above) a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT - from the 8 series if I'm not mistaken. Should I insert I don't Know in the video card category?

    Thanks alot!
    You have 4 CPU's, that's the number they want. Those who have hyperthreading turned on will show twice the number of processors, but they are virtual processors, not physical cores.

    Odds are you don't have hyperthreading turned on. If the graphs in the task manager show only 4 CPU graphs, it is turned "off".

    Use GeForce 9 series card selection, once you send a copy of your FSX.cfg file, they will know exactly what card you have.
    My computer:Win XP 32 Home SP3, Q9650 @ 3.6 GHz, 4GB DDR2-800 RAM @ 800 MHz, EVGA Nvidia 560Ti-SOC-1GB

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    You have 4 CPU's, that's the number they want. Those who have hyperthreading turned on will show twice the number of processors, but they are virtual processors, not physical cores.

    Odds are you don't have hyperthreading turned on. If the graphs in the task manager show only 4 CPU graphs, it is turned "off".

    Use GeForce 9 series card selection, once you send a copy of your FSX.cfg file, they will know exactly what card you have.
    Thank you very much!!!

  6. #56
    Just want to add, that after a number of flights, I continue to be amazed at what this util achieved.
    Just wonderfull!
    I'd love to see this on a high-end machine, that would be super. But since I don't have that, I'm happy with what I have now, especially after the tweak.

    Best, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

  7. #57
    Err, once one has sent the info, and received the reply page (with the changes and suggestions), is that it? What I mean is, have those changes been applied to the user's fsx.cfg, or do you have to do something else (disregarding the external limiter or the in game changes suggested)?

    I know that after I ran utility, my experience was much smoother, and I don't think it was a placebo effect, but...?

  8. #58
    Senior Administrator Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    EGCD...they bulldozed it!
    Age
    67
    Posts
    9,707
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyq144 View Post
    Err, once one has sent the info, and received the reply page (with the changes and suggestions), is that it? What I mean is, have those changes been applied to the user's fsx.cfg, or do you have to do something else (disregarding the external limiter or the in game changes suggested)?

    I know that after I ran utility, my experience was much smoother, and I don't think it was a placebo effect, but...?
    You'll notice a "download" button on that results page. Download it and place it in the folder where your FsX.cfg sits.
    SYSTEM :
    OS:Win7 Home Premium 64 bit UAC OFF!
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

    To err is human; to forgive is divine

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    You'll notice a "download" button on that results page. Download it and place it in the folder where your FsX.cfg sits.
    Ah, thank you! Placebo=1, Tracy=0


  10. #60
    For ATI vid cards it says to use equivilant NVidia card. Where do we find an equivilancy list???

    I have a 4800 series card.
    Don H

    Republic Of Gamers ASUS CrossHair VI Hero MB, AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8core, 16thread, 3.7GHz Base, 4.3GHz Max, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4 32GB, XLR8 Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 OC DirectX 12, Thermaltake M850W SMART Series PCU, Corsair H100i CC Watercooler, CoolMaster HAF922 case, Win10 Professional 64bit, Saitek Flight Equipment, Oculus RIFT VR, 50" 4K LG TV/Monitor

  11. #61
    After a bit of experimentation I think I managed to get some improvement. The provided fsx.cfg was unusable. One of the options created flickering ground textures (off/on). Also I wanted the highest quality water which my machine can handle. By adding each option one at a time I found that only one of the changes was involved. In heavy scenery areas (e.g., UTX Alaska in Anchorage), I can still get about 15 fps reported by Fraps. Over water (carrier operations) I could get nearly 50 fps. This is pretty good considering I am using Nvidia 3D which requires not quite twice the processing for a fixed fps (15 fps reported is 30 fps in the eyes of the external fps limiter).

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    I have a 4800 series card.
    Geforce 9 series.

  13. #63
    OK, I must be a total tool for not figuring out how to do this. I found my FSX.cfg file but what do I do next?

    Matt

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    OK, I must be a total tool for not figuring out how to do this. I found my FSX.cfg file but what do I do next?

    Matt
    Sharpened my tool senses and figured it out. I will defintely be donating to continue their work. It is fantastic!

    Matt

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyq144 View Post
    I'm going to try this, and will report back tomorrow, when I am sober. :ernae:

    Seems like a great utility, though!
    Well! I finally sobered up (), and it does indeed work like advertised!

    Really. I have a slow system:

    G50VT-X1 Specifications
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz
    Windows Vista OS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1
    Hard Drive 320GB (7200RPM)
    Screen Size 15.6" HD (1366x768)
    RAM 4GB DDR2 667Mhz
    Optical Drive DVD SuperMulti with Light Scribe
    Direct Disc Labeling Yes
    Graphics Card NVIDIA 9800M GS with 512MB GDDR3 VRAM
    yet performance is MUCH smoother after doing this tweak. Much smoother!

    I was having trouble even at Vashon, but after applying this, no troubles at all.

    One question, I left the default external limiter value at 30, but given that I have never seen a framerate above 20, even with these two utilities, should I lower it, and would it help?

    Oh, I was going to suggest that this be made a "sticky", but I see I have been beaten to the punch, LOL!

  16. #66
    I tried the frame rate limiter from the link on the configurator page but when I click on its app icon a small dos like black box comes up and quickly is gone again. Any ideas why or how to fix?

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    I tried the frame rate limiter from the link on the configurator page but when I click on its app icon a small dos like black box comes up and quickly is gone again. Any ideas why or how to fix?
    Don't double click the executable labeled "FPS_LIMITER". You want to double click the MS DOS batch file executable named "fsx.exe.limited".
    My computer:Win XP 32 Home SP3, Q9650 @ 3.6 GHz, 4GB DDR2-800 RAM @ 800 MHz, EVGA Nvidia 560Ti-SOC-1GB

  18. #68
    Thanks but there is no file by that name in my folder. My readme is also not in english.

  19. #69
    Ok it seems you have to create a batch file. I dont know how to do this so could someone send me their correct batch file for fsx?
    I will pm email address.

  20. #70
    Senior Administrator Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    EGCD...they bulldozed it!
    Age
    67
    Posts
    9,707
    Someone sending the .bat file to you won't work. Here's the readme in English:

    History:
    --------
    Version 0.2, 11/15/2007
    -----------------------
    - New command line switch to set the desired fps (/f:x), default is 30
    - New command line switch to enable or disable logging (/l:ON|OFF), default is OFF
    - New ingame keys to change the desired fps (F10 decrease / F11 increase)
    - New ingame fps display, show or hide with F12, command line switch is /x:ON|OFF, default is OFF
    Version 0.1b, 11/13/2007
    -----------------------
    - Fixed Bug in D3D9 Hook
    - Fixed Bug in D3D8 Hook

    Version 0.1, 11/12/2007
    -----------------------
    Run FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar and click SEARCH EXECUTABLE
    browse for and select FSX.exe
    set frame limit to 30 under MAXIMUM FPS
    Click CREATE BAT
    Once complete close the interface and use the created file fsx.exe.limited.bat to start FSX (double click it)
    set frame lock to UNLIMTED in FSX and use the AG slider to tune

    You MUST have JAVA installed to use that interface
    Now here is the deal... this attacks the UNLIMITED FRAME LOCK problem related to Vsync introduced by Aces in SP1/SP2. Instead of tuning the FRAME LOCK you will tune the AUTOGEN slider for smooth results where you are flying. Leave the FSX frame lock slider at UNLIMITED at all times.
    You can fine tune this app as well...
    I found 30 was the sweet spot for all occasions. I would suggest no less than 24 and no more than 30 but start with 30.


    FSX must always be started by clicking the created command line BAT file.. NOT the FSX desktop icon
    SYSTEM :
    OS:Win7 Home Premium 64 bit UAC OFF!
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

    To err is human; to forgive is divine

  21. #71
    Thanks Roger but nothing happens when I click that jar file. Does it really help that much, starting to wonder if this tweak is really worth the trouble, lol.

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Thanks Roger but nothing happens when I click that jar file. Does it really help that much, starting to wonder if this tweak is really worth the trouble, lol.
    do you have java installed ?

  23. #73
    Just what came with win 7. I must have the latest java because the national weather service radar works and that requires the latest version.

  24. #74
    go to suns webpage and install the new java thingy , that will help to run the applet .

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Well worth a look and free...I'm testing a new FsX.cfg now. It should be good it's from Jesus Bojote!

    http://forum.avsim.net/topic/318918-...-tool-for-fsx/
    Thanks for this, Roger
    .......Jesus Bojote, I LIKE THIS!!

    (K.I.S.S) Keep It Simple Stupid = My way of life! Now FSX is :ernae:

    The frame rate limiter is a thorn in my shoe

Similar Threads

  1. FS9 Configurator
    By Planes-11 in forum FS 2002/2004 General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 20th, 2009, 07:19

Members who have read this thread: 14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •