Best planes for bush flying? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best planes for bush flying?

Auster J1 Autocrat by Dave Garwood. Will take off and land on a dime!!!
    Great little plane and the price is right.
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

I find myself flying the Virtavia Islander for much of my STOL work.

Hi Chaps

Many thanks for all of the suggestions. Excellent stuff! I had thought of some of them eg Tim Conrad's PC-6 and the Goose. I should have thought of - but I had 'forgotten' - a few of them (eg the Cub and even the default Maule). But many of the suggestions I would never have thought of!

All great though for some new bush flying. I will have to start downloading some new aircraft!

Having spent a couple of hours starting to explore the scenery last night, I quickly realised just how huge the area included in the package actually is! It's hard to know where best to start. Does anyone have any favourite areas or airports or flights to try out? Suggestions welcomed!

Cheers

Paul

One of the most famous area is between Concrete Mun and Darrington Mun. This area is cool, with a valley and lots of lakes. And if you head full south you can actually have a nice fly up to Mt.Rainier where you'll find Ranger Creek then, a bit later, Packwood. From there you can even fly down to Mt.St.Helens.

Recently I had good times flying a little bit more south. Choose an airfield named "Sky River Ranch" or something like that, and head south-east to visit the hyroelectric dam.

If you like high moutains, try flying around Pemberton. I would also recommend the area around Scar Creek to check the photoreal glaciers. However, those photoreal textures are not visible in winter, since snow is covering them. Checking the frozen lakes here and there is still pretty cool, I have to say

Aviator32
    First, get the free OZx NA 1.0 to enhance the area even further - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...t=39495&page=1

then buy Darrington and Concrete and Israel's and Stark's and the new one I can't remember the name of and Orca's which is coming soon. Then get a second job to pay for it all and if you have any spare time left it won't matter where you fly from or to as it will all look brilliant.

But start with OZx NA first as it's free and adds a great deal to the area.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    The native F-15.

Oh wait, maybe not.......
    Well you can land it ONE TIME in the bush!LOL
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

The Norsman would be best...,
    if it had already
    been designed for FSX.

Dieter

Aviator32
    Quote Originally Posted by kdl View Post
    The Norsman would be best...,
    if it had already
    been designed for FSX.

Dieter
    Yes, so would the Aviat Husky. Who did that for FS9 can anyone remember? I had some great repaints for that and I was always hoping to see a good one in FSX.

The Norseman that Brian Gladden made for FS9 WILL work in FSX. He posted a fix on my site (I forget the thread right off) that fixes the panel. It looks great and flys nicely. It would be nice to have a pure FSX version though.

Don

This old FS9 Norseman was good at her time, but today in FSX with all its possibilities, she's too simple, especially the panel.

Dieter

Blog Entries
    Absolutely love Mike's super cub...just enough speed to get where you want to go and land anywhere
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by kdl View Post
    This old FS9 Norseman was good at her time, but today in FSX with all its possibilities, she's too simple, especially the panel.

Dieter
    I agree Dieter, but when you want one and it's the only one around, it is better than nothing. A nice paint scheme on her makes her come to life. The panel and such is FS9ish, but for me, it's good enough. I fly in spot view so I can appreciate the scenery and the airplane.

Don

I didn't know this Norseman at all so I made a search and found the model at Flightsim.com.
    The external model still looks good, but the virtual cockpit is not really "FS9ish", it's more "FS2002ish" to be honnest. The FS9 default planes virtual cockpits look much more detailled.
    In my opinion, a good virtual cockpit is really important for this kind of VFR exploration flights.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I didn't know this Norseman at all so I made a search and found the model at Flightsim.com.
    The external model still looks good, but the virtual cockpit is not really "FS9ish", it's more "FS2002ish" to be honnest. The FS9 default planes virtual cockpits look much more detailled.
    In my opinion, a good virtual cockpit is really important for this kind of VFR exploration flights.
    To be honest.... I made that plane NINE years ago! Both my skills and FS aircraft designs in general have come a long way in that time.

In the meantime, it still works and flies okay in FSX with a few panel tweaks.
    You can't take the sky from me...

9 years ago ? That explains the VC, and that makes the exterior model quality even more impressive. There are very few FS aircrafts that are this old and STILL good looking today.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    The native F-15.

Oh wait, maybe not.......
    Gripen, Courchevel.

See,

Got you thinking about it, didn't I.

Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

lol yeah the VRS F-18 can get into some small airports 2000'ish runways tho I wonder if it would be to heavy for typical GA airport weight limits. As far as warbirds go the Spitfire IX isnt too bad of a bushplane. I was able to get it in and out of Bear Gluch, Lukla, Walter Suttons, Saba, St Barts..etc.
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator32 View Post
    Yes, so would the Aviat Husky. Who did that for FS9 can anyone remember? I had some great repaints for that and I was always hoping to see a good one in FSX.
    That was made by Steven Grant.

Don

For me its the A2A Cub for all my Bush flying needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    One of the most famous area is between Concrete Mun and Darrington Mun. This area is cool, with a valley and lots of lakes. And if you head full south you can actually have a nice fly up to Mt.Rainier where you'll find Ranger Creek then, a bit later, Packwood. From there you can even fly down to Mt.St.Helens.

Recently I had good times flying a little bit more south. Choose an airfield named "Sky River Ranch" or something like that, and head south-east to visit the hyroelectric dam.

If you like high moutains, try flying around Pemberton. I would also recommend the area around Scar Creek to check the photoreal glaciers. However, those photoreal textures are not visible in winter, since snow is covering them. Checking the frozen lakes here and there is still pretty cool, I have to say
    Thanks

I haven't had much free time of late, so I have only now tried it out. As you say, its a really nice area. I have quickly tried a few aircraft and my current favourite is the PC-6 - nice and easy on those short runways plus an excellent view from the cockpit to enjoy all of the beautiful scenery.

Hmmm.............I think that I need to do a themed repaint.

Blog Entries
    One plane i dont think i've seen mentioned is MaaM-sim's XC-47 (R4D package ). I've been using it to fly the maine to washington hop list, and landing in mud puddles not much bigger than he plane itself with it.. its a gorgeous plane thats extremely well done and flies beautifully n fsx with the fsx patch they have on their download page.. Plus, its a big twin, so theres plenty of power to take you all the way to the scene of the crash..

PS.. you cant beat the price either..

you know Bill's Pasped Skylark is a pretty good bush plane, with excellent short field abilities.
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wanted a 'themed' plane for the scenery..................

Work in progress - needs some dirt etc!