Driver Updates

Thread: Driver Updates

Driver Updates

Today I went to update the video card drivers in my laptop, I downloaded the new ones from ATI and uninstalled the old ones, then ran the installer for the new drivers and restarted my laptop.

When I logged back in the new drivers didn't start right away and I was stuck for a little bit then I received a message that said drivers have updated and a restart is required.

After the restart I opened the Catalyst Control Center and found that the drivers had never changed, nor did the catalyst Control Center change, there should have been some change because the drivers are from a year ago when I first got the laptop, where did I go wrong?

Windows Vista or Windows 7 perhaps? The security settings in Vista and 7 can make driver updates a hassle. I went through the same thing with my Vista laptop. You need to be logged in as administrator, turn off all of the UAC security stuff, then uninstall old and install new drivers.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit, I checked the folders where the drivers are and there are 2 folders that contain graphics things, the first where the original drivers were located is

C:\AMD\Catalyst_Mobility_64-bit_util this folder was last updated on 3/26/2010

the new folder is...

C:\ATI\Support\10-10_mobility_vista_win7_32-64_ccc this folder was last updated on 11/15/2010

Could the stuff in the older folder be overriding the stuff in the newer folder?

When I installed I didn't select "delete driver software for this device" I have a strong feeling that this is my problem.

Yes, it is generally advisable when updating video drivers to remove the old drivers first, otherwise, conflicts are likely to arise.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.