What air traffic do you see? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What air traffic do you see?

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    The occasional Cessna or Piper, a few Robinson R22 and R44's and of course the Dutch Airforce on the way to their training grounds. I can tell the difference between the Cougar, Apache and Chinook from miles away just by listening.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Almost daily we get a Blackhawk that is flying southwest and back. I assume training flights but really no idea. I used to have a GA airport less than a mile from my back yard (1C2). It is now a subdivision that was started at the end of the housing boom so it is just and eyesore now. The original hanger is still standing. When it was still active the Blackhawks would fly down and do there touch and goes all the time, night and day. A R22 would fly out of there all the time also. On race days at the Chicagoland Speedway, the plane pulling ad banners would fly out from there. Then there were the couple of times that I saw GA pilots making really bad decisions on their choice of runways. One tried to land with a heavy tailwind and one during a bad thunderstorm. Both made it in OK after a few go arounds and a better choice of runways.
    Then there were the ultra-lights. Some guy would buzz around in one of those parachute things. Around and around and around and around until I wanted to shoot him down. It was like having someone running a chainsaw over your head. I could never understand the enjoyment of flying over the same cornfield at a few hundred feet off the ground for an hour at a time.
    All in all, I sure do miss that airport.

Members who have read this thread: 0