Bow-wing-TON! You die Bow-wing-TON!

Thread: Bow-wing-TON! You die Bow-wing-TON!

Bow-wing-TON! You die Bow-wing-TON!

Gotta love the "AT6M2"! Found this paint in my collection for the Sky Unlimited T-6. That's cool. And of course the Aircraft Factory F4U.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

The A6M2 Zero at the Warbirds-over-Wanaka Airshow this year was based on a T-6 Texan. The announcer made some comment about it being the only flying Zero in the world....... Is this correct?
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

SOH-CM-2023
    There are three or four real Mitsubishi Zero's flying in the States. It's a bad movie, story wise but Pearl Harbor has all of them in the flying sequences. For 70's TV and movies, they used converted T-6's. but with the resurgence of the warbird movement, actual Zero's were restored to flying status.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Craig, in actuality, that particular Zero that you saw is considered 'the real deal', as it really is a Mitsubishi Zero design - not a T-6 converted. How much original Zero is in that Zero, is debated, but it is definitely not one of the "Tora,Tora,Tora" replicas, which were made from Texans.

The Planes of Fame museum is the only group that can claim to have a completely original, airworthy Zero, including not only the original engine, but original structure as well - which all other 'real Zero's' are vastly new-build from original drawings and parts. In total, including the POF example, there are four airworthy Zero's in the world, that can be considered 'actual Zero's', with a fifth nearly completed, at the Flying Heritage Museum.

Many people don't seem to focus on it, but the easiest way to identify a real Zero, from a replica, if you ever get confused, is to simply look at the landing gear - there is a whole world of difference. The Zero's landing gear is tall and slim, while the Texan's is short and stuby.

BTW, I like your screenshots Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Craig, in actuality, that particular Zero that you saw is considered 'the real deal', as it really is a Mitsubishi Zero design - not a T-6 converted. How much original Zero is in that Zero, is debated, but it is definitely not one of the "Tora,Tora,Tora" replicas, which were made from Texans.

The Planes of Fame museum is the only group that can claim to have a completely original, airworthy Zero, including not only the original engine, but original structure as well - which all other 'real Zero's' are vastly new-build from original drawings and parts. In total, including the POF example, there are four airworthy Zero's in the world, that can be considered 'actual Zero's', with a fifth nearly completed, at the Flying Heritage Museum.

Many people don't seem to focus on it, but the easiest way to identify a real Zero, from a replica, if you ever get confused, is to simply look at the landing gear - there is a whole world of difference. The Zero's landing gear is tall and slim, while the Texan's is short and stubby.
    Hi John,

Thanks for clarifying things! :salute:
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SADT View Post
    The A6M2 Zero at the Warbirds-over-Wanaka Airshow this year was based on a T-6 Texan. The announcer made some comment about it being the only flying Zero in the world....... Is this correct?
    This is it at Tauranga (it was taken off the ship here) before it went down to Wanaka..defnitely a "real" Zero although the powerplant is not the orginal Japanese engine.

There was a real Zero, albeit with an american engine, at EAA this year. You can easily tell the difference. It looked nothing like a T-6.

One of the problems with preservation of Japanese WWII aircraft has to do with some of the high strength alloys they used, which have since crystallized and are of unpredictable strength. Though a great design for the time, neither it nor any of their contemporarys were designed with a long life time as much of a consideration.

A conflict in attitude exists between the Museum folks and the Warbird folks. Certainly no more originals are being made. In their day, a lot of these planes crashed for various reasons, and the warbird operators do not have a lot better record.

Just discoverd my FO who I flew with today (and have know for a long time) flew (solo) a Mig 21!

Cheers: T

And to think..we have how many tubeliners, P- 51's 38's, 47's,40's a B-17, a B-24, several spitfires, corsairs, pipercubs and not one quality AM6 zero? Why this classic airplane has not been done yet is beyond me.

Blog Entries
    In a word?? Popularity. Thanks to the efforts of a few intrepid individuals, the world is only now ( through dsx ) beginning to understand and appreciate the uniqueness and quality of the aircraft that came from somewhere other than the US or Great Britain.. Hopefully, someone will make a zero, and even a betty or two.. i'd really like to see that ( if for no other reason than tohave a period aircraft to pit the P-61 against )..

As for boyington, you can also attach his name to the side of a P-40B as he flew with the Flying Tigers before he got the Black Sheep. It was hate at first sight between he and Chenault, and the relationship didnt last long, but, he was a Tiger..

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by oakfloor View Post
    And to think..we have how many tubeliners, P- 51's 38's, 47's,40's a B-17, a B-24, several spitfires, corsairs, pipercubs and not one quality AM6 zero? Why this classic airplane has not been done yet is beyond me.
    I would guess the reason for that is the Japanese people are not much into flight simulation. Looking through freewarescenery.com FSX entries for Japan for instance shows remarkably few entries compared to Canada and Australia which have a much smaller population.

Of coarse air travel in very large countries with small populations (or large population like the U.S.) is more essential. Everyone knows that Orbx FTX first covered Australia then moved to the Pacific Northwest of Canada/U.S.

Canada's big claim to fame in the aircraft world is the de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver. Not only do we have a great FSX default Beaver but a native Aerosoft one. It is nice living in a country with a large population (percent wise) of flight simmers!

Regards, Mike Mann

Well, there is the A2A/Wings of Power A6M, which, although not a true 100% FSX bird, is still very nice.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Well, there is the A2A/Wings of Power A6M, which, although not a true 100% FSX bird, is still very nice.
    Yes I thought of this one, but until someone converts it over to a useful FSX model were still without one. Every pilot report I have ever read says this was great airplane to fly.