Flying Stations Camberra! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying Stations Camberra!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Presumably you've tried the Alphasim one?? Works OK in FSX except for the usual canopy issue. Also the B2 paint kit could make you a B-57A?

DaveQ
    If he is really after a B-57A then check out the flyingstations model on it. I believe it is the only dedicated version, I.e not a repainted B.2 out there. The pack includes the RB, JB and WB-57A versions as well.

Steven Beeny, FS repainter and modeller.

New EE/BAC Canberra series for FS2004 starting October 2010. See www.flyingstations.com for details.
    Watch the new Canberra promo video here: http://youtu.be/m3rWTivCupg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nazca_steve View Post
    Very annoying, and a head-scratcher...I will try to look at this over the coming week if poss. Before I start a new, full-blown FSX project I am going to see if I can muster a proper conversion of one of the Cans to FSX, and in this case will take the T.4 as a starting point. Yeah I have to admit the T.4 is nice, but the T.17 has lots of character with that nose. Still, no amount of VC glass should be black. Will see what I can do.

Thanks Steve - No stress - I know you're on it. It would have been more disappointing if the model had been billed a true FSX model - so in truth, there is no fault on FS's part in the least. You intended it for FS9, and so in the case of this sim, it's caveat emptor. I just saw Peter's and other's comments and assumed it would be ok. You're not at all to blame.

The T22 is nice in it's own wild-boar sort of way, and the paints are superb with the weathering. The glass is still very much half full, my friend!

cheers,

DL

If he is really after a B-57A then check out the flyingstations model on it. I believe it is the only dedicated version, I.e not a repainted B.2 out there. The pack includes the RB, JB and WB-57A versions as well.
    I thought it was a tandom cockpit one Kent was after but of course the dedicated B-57A would be best.
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Blog Entries
    Just downloaded your b-57 pack.. already had your B2 pack .. excellent job all the way around..
    Was curious though. If you do get a successful fsx conversion, would you possibly consider adding in a Wb-57F to the family??

Blog Entries
    I think Colo Kent was after the full range of B-57s, so logically that would start with the little-known 57A series, but the meat of the release would be the far better known tandem series. And frankly after doing the 'A's it would be nice to take that base model and build the tandem series out of it. So, to Warchild's question, if this series does happen, there is no reason at all I could not do the WB-57F model (even if this barely resembles a Canberra anymore!) And yes, Delta the T.17 (I think that's what you meant) is a wild boar looking thing, but with bags of charm. Incidentally, the T.22 is coming out in the last pack for FS9, currently in beta but should be with us soon.

Thanks very much for picking up the FS9 packs, both Delta and Warchild, and for your compliments. Indeed these were never billed as FSX but I think barring the black glass it was a pleasant suprise just how much compatibility came through in X. As I said, barring some of the custom anims timing being off or plain missing, I was amazed at taking a quick spin in the B-57A how good it looked and handled, even in bog-standard FSX (i.e. no with no addons!).

New EE/BAC Canberra series for FS2004 starting October 2010. See www.flyingstations.com for details.

Blog Entries
    Yes - sorry - meant the T17. I actually was planning on holding out for the M of T pack with the T22, but figured, what the heck. I am curious, though, how Peter got it to work with no glass issues ... bizarre.

Looking forward to the T22, for sure!

DL

Blog Entries
    I think Colo Kent was after the full range of B-57s, so logically that would start with the little-known 57A series, but the meat of the release would be the far better known tandem series. And frankly after doing the 'A's it would be nice to take that base model and build the tandem series out of it. So, to Warchild's question, if this series does happen, there is no reason at all I could not do the WB-57F model (even if this barely resembles a Canberra anymore!) And yes, Delta the T.17 (I think that's what you meant) is a wild boar looking thing, but with bags of charm. Incidentally, the T.22 is coming out in the last pack for FS9, currently in beta but should be with us soon.

Thanks very much for picking up the FS9 packs, both Delta and Warchild, and for your compliments. Indeed these were never billed as FSX but I think barring the black glass it was a pleasant suprise just how much compatibility came through in X. As I said, barring some of the custom anims timing being off or plain missing, I was amazed at taking a quick spin in the B-57A how good it looked and handled, even in bog-standard FSX (i.e. no with no addons!).
    No thanks needed.. Rather, thank you for producing these wonderful aircraft. I like them all veryy much actually, but i must admit, wit tose incredible wings, the wb-57F is a true sight to behold..

Attachment 59601

Attachment 59602

Attachment 59603

looks very ungainly on the ground, but in the air?? gotta love those wings
    Pam

Blog Entries
    You know as much as the sight of it bothers me at times, it is fun trying to find the 'bits' of original Canberra in there. The undercarriage looks the same, as does the tailplane. All in all, I think the WB-57F is the ultimate departure from Petter's original A.1 design, despite all the variants that have been made over the years. This is not a bad thing (even though visually it's no tmy fave), it just shows the versatility of this fantastic aircraft. When all's said and done, how many other designs have served so many air forces for so many years, in so many roles? You'd be hard pushed to find another military design with that many appearances. That NASA still uses this variant in a useful role is brilliant.

One other thing worth noting on the WB-57F - I believe this is the only Canberra to use turbofan engines. Look at the size of those things...fantastic. Do you know the thrust rating on them by chance? I'd like to compare it to the original mark Avon fitted on the A.1 at 6,000lb thrust.

Blog Entries
    You know as much as the sight of it bothers me at times, it is fun trying to find the 'bits' of original Canberra in there. The undercarriage looks the same, as does the tailplane. All in all, I think the WB-57F is the ultimate departure from Petter's original A.1 design, despite all the variants that have been made over the years. This is not a bad thing (even though visually it's no tmy fave), it just shows the versatility of this fantastic aircraft. When all's said and done, how many other designs have served so many air forces for so many years, in so many roles? You'd be hard pushed to find another military design with that many appearances. That NASA still uses this variant in a useful role is brilliant.

One other thing worth noting on the WB-57F - I believe this is the only Canberra to use turbofan engines. Look at the size of those things...fantastic. Do you know the thrust rating on them by chance? I'd like to compare it to the original mark Avon fitted on the A.1 at 6,000lb thrust.

The WB-57 actually started as RB-57Fs, in weather reconnaissance / atmospheric sampling roles, eventually redesignated WB-57F. Some were reputed to have been deployed to bona fide strategic reconnaissance work, and I believe a few were loaned to Pakistan during the late 60s for that kind of work.

The P&W TF-33 turbofans fitted put out approx 16,000 lb thrust each, for an approx max takeoff weight of 59,000lb = t/w = .54. That's compared to the two Avons putting out 12,000 for an approx max takeoff weight of around 55,000lb = t/w = 0.22. So they, in combination with the radical change in shape and size, to say nothing of the highly advanced honeycomb sandwich construction borrowed from the B-58 Hustler, really underscored how highly evolved the platform would eventually become.

The WB-57 was flying at Edwards two of the three times I've visited, and I recall those engines being insanely loud. I understand pilots use only roughly half throttle on takeoff ... very impressive.

DL

Blog Entries
    Well...16,000lb per engine! And I though the Bristol Olympus 102s I've been doing in this latest pack were meaty at 12,000lb each! No one wonder they only need half throttle on take off otherwise you'd not get the u/c up in time before the 200kt mark! (assuming that has not changed). Speaking of foreign users of the RB-57F - didn't the Chinese Nationalists get some at some point?

<center>FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Modern Military</center><center>FS2004 General Dynamics RB\WB-57F
    </center><center>[ Download | View ] </center>
    Name: rb57_pak.zip Size: 10,423,924 Date: 03-21-2006 Downloads: 3,899
    FS2004 General Dynamics RB\WB-57F high altitude recon and weather research aircraft. The ultimate version of the B-57 Canberra series of tactical bombers. General Dynamics was contracted to convert twelve B-57B's into high altitude recon planes. Featuring a wingspan twice the original B57 span, longer fuselage and enlarged tail surfaces, the B-57F also featured new TF-33 turbofan engines, removable auxiliary J60 engines, new sensors and a new fuel tank arrangement. Later designated WB-57F, they were retired, except for two still flying with NASA on atmospheric research missions. These planes can be fitted with multiple pallets containing different experiments and test gear. This aircraft pack includes USAF and NASA models, each with proper panels and other details, VC's with custom XML gauges, and full animations including flexing wings. By Tim Conrad.

Blog Entries
    heheh.. Thanks Bone. I've got that one, and its one of my favorites. But the cockpit's not correct. I'd really like to see what these folks can do with it.
    Pam

Blog Entries
    Steve.
    your correct. The WB-57F was the furthest extreme that the airframe design was taken. The engines were so powerful because there isnt a lot of air at 70-90000 feet where it calls home.
    As a testiment to the design, when i last looked, one WB-57F was still being flown for high altitude imagery. Three were in mothballs. That was just a year or two back so theyre still going after decades of service.
    the aircraft has served many incredible roles in its lifetime. Bomber, recon, weather, spy, you name it. Most recently, it was used in 2007 to map Afghanistan
    ( http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1235/do...8-1235_508.pdf ).
    The WB-57 and the entire canberra line may be getting too old to rock and roll, but its far too young to die.
    Pam

Blog Entries
    Amen, brother, it is/was too young to die! If only the RAF had thought the same in 2006 when we kissed goodbye to the PR.9 (actually I think the RAF was loath to retire them as at the time there was no adequate replacement. Not sure what they use now, I heard it was some crappy civvie Biz Jet or something but don't quote me on it...)

Bottom line is the Canberra is a force of nature and I will always love it...and yes I am sure I can force myself to make the 57F at some point down the line. Just the Sea Hawk HAS to come first...

Blog Entries

Black VC glass texture issue sorted

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Yes - sorry - meant the T17. I actually was planning on holding out for the M of T pack with the T22, but figured, what the heck. I am curious, though, how Peter got it to work with no glass issues ... bizarre.

Looking forward to the T22, for sure!

DL

Evening all. For those that have had problems with VC glass being black in some Canberra cockpits in FSX, please read on.

Sorted! Turns out a while ago I had been messing around with an alternative texture for the VC glass, as some folk had been unhappy with the shade and reflection. In doing so, I had mapped the VC glass to a different file. For some reason FS9 did not mind this, but in FSX, without that file, it was rendering the area completely black.

The easy workaround for this, rather than me spend ages going through, re-mapping it to glass_T.bmp and re-compiling the models, is to copy the existing glass_T.bmp you have in the 'black' cockpit Canberras and rename it to: glassvc_T.bmp. Leave the old glass_T.bmp in there too. Voila, it solves the problem with the soon to be released Master of Tasks pack, and my guess is it will do the same in the other packs too.

Please let me know how you get on and thanks for your patience.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Thanks Steve ... well done.

FYI (everyone else) - M of T pack is released! http://www.flyingstations.com/canber...-of-tasks.html

DL

Thanks Daniel for the HU !

Bought it...!

Cheers,
    Hank

Hi Steve,
    Tried the mod but sadly it hasn't worked . Ive just finished a hard long day and am a bit over tired , I will double check everything after my sleep to make sure I did it correctly. Thanks .

"The easy workaround for this, rather than me spend ages going through, re-mapping it to glass_T.bmp and re-compiling the models, is to copy the existing glass_T.bmp you have in the 'black' cockpit Canberras and rename it to: glassvc_T.bmp. Leave the old glass_T.bmp in there too."

Works great with the B.2 pack Thanks for solving that issue !!

Blog Entries
    Flipping heck, what a relief! After quoting me I thought you were going to say it was a total failiure! Lol. But yes, I did sit in FSX last night and the glass looked good enough to me - now if only I could crack (sorry, pun) the exterior model glass issues with see through clouds...oh well, perhaps not for these FS9 native packs, but rest assured anything FSX native from this point on will be sorted.Thanks all for your support so far.

Flipping heck, what a relief! After quoting me I thought you were going to say it was a total failiure! Lol. But yes, I did sit in FSX last night and the glass looked good enough to me - now if only I could crack (sorry, pun) the exterior model glass issues with see through clouds...oh well, perhaps not for these FS9 native packs, but rest assured anything FSX native from this point on will be sorted.Thanks all for your support so far.

Is that a slight hint at FSX canberra's?

Blog Entries
    No slight hint needed - they are on the project list for 2012 at some point after the new Hawker Sea Hawk. At this point however I do not have plans to do the entire series from FS9; perhaps just a few of the most popular, but tandem seat B-57s are planned and also the fighter canopy interdictors.

No slight hint needed - they are on the project list for 2012 at some point after the new Hawker Sea Hawk. At this point however I do not have plans to do the entire series from FS9; perhaps just a few of the most popular, but tandem seat B-57s are planned and also the fighter canopy interdictors.
    Awesome. As long as you're doing the fighter canopy variant, I hope that means there is a chance of the PR.9 variant sneaking in as well. You can definitely put me down for the 57's as well.

Blog Entries
    The PR.9 is a more complex build, but it could be on the cards. There's a lot of interest in this variant, I'll warrant that. But as you point out, it's not too far removed from a normal Canberra interdictor. The 57s should be interesting to build too, especially the long wing 57F. Not to mention that the bomber 57 packed some serious firepower which should be fun to model.

Just noticed this thread guys, I have no idea why the canopy worked but I do assure you it was in Accel using dxt9.

And put me down for a PR9 wouldn't bother modeling a VC for the front cabin though lol.
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Members who have read this thread: 1