Magic formula for stopping on beach?

Thread: Magic formula for stopping on beach?

Magic formula for stopping on beach?

Hey guys; I have been trying to get "SHA_LCV" to stop on the beach. I have been trying to follow the example provided on page 100 of Cody's handbook. I start off at 0 for the first waypoint, then 7, 5, 3, 2, 1, 0, for the other waypoints. She just keeps on going. I must be overlooking something? I've tried 30 times or so, using similar set ups, always have the same outcome. A buddy got me to try it, now it's driving me nuts! Thanks bud!:ernae:

Have you given a try throwing an anchor?

May be you must have more distance between waypoints.

Discus

Still playing with it, but working on another mission. At this moment, I have no desire to use landing craft. The fact that I can't stop it is the only reason I am interested in it! Maybe if I give it to her as soon as she hits the beach, she'll get stuck in the sand! Oh well, what fun would it be if everything worked perfect the first time ya tried it? :ernae:

amphib ships

Not just landing craft - anyone know how to keep any and all ships from driving/sailing right thru land masses ?! Kind of annoying to try to attack an enemy ship 'sailing' up a mountain !!

Lightbulb Cody covers this

Cody Coyote's 15MB PDF Campaign Handbook covers this topic. You have to step-down the speed of the landing craft by small increments at a series of WPs before arriving at the beach. I use 2kt increments down to zero at the beach.

Lightbulb Add a gun

Quote Originally Posted by gothtog View Post
    Not just landing craft - anyone know how to keep any and all ships from driving/sailing right thru land masses ?! Kind of annoying to try to attack an enemy ship 'sailing' up a mountain !!
    Add at least one gun...like a small MG... to the DP of cargo, tanker and troop ships that have no guns. Because for some reason ships without a gun will not follow WPs when close to land masses. They are drawn to them. Just one of those CFS2 quirks. Otherwise you have to keep those ships many miles away from land.

Quote Originally Posted by gothtog View Post
    When you plot the action at waypoints near land masses, use "Do not evade" for the action.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Nole View Post
    Cody Coyote's 15MB PDF Campaign Handbook covers this topic. You have to step-down the speed of the landing craft by small increments at a series of WPs before arriving at the beach. I use 2kt increments down to zero at the beach.
    I was on skype with him when he tried it. He used Cody's guidelines.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Lightbulb Cody

Email Cody. He'll help you.

On the road and just caught this thread.

Mariereid, you might try starting the landing craft farther out from the shore. I've had this happen to me too where the landing craft won't stop short enough. I've found that backing them out more worked. They almost act like they get up a head of steam and their momentum carries them past the beach. Also try setting your last two waypoints to zero. If all else fails, try a different landing craft.

When I wrote the Handbook I worked on this one over and over to figure out the formula. It isn't perfect, but it works well enough, and often enough to be worth trying.

Thanks CC, I am still messing about with it. I will give all advice a go. You can be sure, once I get that beast stopped, I will NEVER forget how to do it!

Man, where would we be without that handbook!? :salute::ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by mariereid View Post
    Man, where would we be without that (Cody's) handbook!?
    -we'd probably all still be looking for this place:

... Attachment 22274

Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Oh, that Dirty! He promised that my location would stay secret.

I started playing about with a PT boat, and can stop that baby and jump ashore. Cody's instructions work great. Must be something about that "SHA_LCV". Last I saw of it, she was tearin' through the jungle at about 16 kt. Good riddance! Time to try out some other craft.:ernae:

Ah. Thats a soch ship! Are you using Nibbio'e or PenWin's alternate Cfgs and dps?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by mariereid View Post
    Must be something about that "SHA_LCV". Last I saw of it, she was tearin' through the jungle at about 16 kt.
    Yo Rick;

The SHA_LCV acts like this for a reason.

All she needs is a gun to straighten out her course ... not kidding.
    Ships without guns will go anywhere once trouble arises ... adding any gun to the .dp will fix this; quick, fast & in a hurry.

Happy now?

... Attachment 22295

- Oops ... NOLE already mentioned this
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

I used of the "af_lcvp" and she worked like a charm. I used a little more speed and set the last way point a little farther inland. She ended up in a perfect position (after several adjustments). Just like Cody said, I saw it start to turn on the beach a couple of times. I can't see myself launching a full scale invasion in the near future! That other sucker is still cutting a path through the jungle, three islands from here! Thanks all! :salute::ernae:

Rick: hat Dirtman wrote above is true. The addons I mentioned in my last post will do that for you. Pen32Win's download will fix most ships, while Nanni's will only fix the stock ships.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Mission Building......

Hi RR. How's it going with your missions? I was over at simviation yesterday checkin' out the CFS2 forums and found a thread in which Tango Romeo's holding a clinic on AI Wingmen.......some purdy cool info. Also, If you don't already have this, you might also find it useful...doggoned if I remember where I got this but it may have been from that thread.

Hope all is going well.

Cheers! :salute:Attachment 23287
    Great to be here......great to be anywhere

Thanks guys. I am putting missions on hold for awhile. Thanks to Talon, I found out that I had enemy planes spawn way to far to show up, in the last mission. I must say in the simple missions I have been doing the planes are really behaving themselves. I am intercepting Kates and Vals. Somehow without any editing, the Kates are getting down to water level and doing their job. I gotta do something with the oiler I am using. I have it refueling 2 corvettes, with another following. If I let the planes attack, there's a good chance the oiler will take out 4 or 5 all by herself. On the other hand, 1 hit and she's gone to the bottom. It's enjoyable doing easy stuff, just the basics. I promise to have a campaign in the library by, oh let's say.... 2065. :ernae:

That's OK, Dirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
    - Oops ... NOLE already mentioned this
    You know I don't get no respect around here. Me and Rodney are going for a beer.

Members who have read this thread: 0