Historcial Flight Foundation DC-7

Thread: Historcial Flight Foundation DC-7

Historcial Flight Foundation DC-7

Restored original Eastern Airlines DC-7

The music you hear at the beginning reminds me of Fantasy Island when you heard.... Look De Plane Boss....De Plane!!!!

Site info:
    http://www.historicalflightfoundation.com/Home

Nice to hear those R2800's turning over. I go back to a time when for me it was
    common place to fly on these (Civilian/Navy R6D) and when you boarded on/off a ladder and
    not thru a tube. Watching theses videos brings back fond memories. Ahhh... the smell of the carburetor shop at AIMD Corpus Christi TX and those Navy aviation piston pounders (W/C 400) in the Mech shop.

DC-7 had Wright Turbo-compound R-3350's DC-6 had P&W R-2800's IIRC

AZ1USN,
    I've also made quite a few airlifts aboard the old C-118's back in the day. Not as plush as the nice DC-7 in the vid but the VR guys maintained them real well and they got ya from San Diego to Alameda or wherever - just not real fast! :d

Quote Originally Posted by oakfloor View Post
    DC-7 had Wright Turbo-compound R-3350's DC-6 had P&W R-2800's IIRC
    Gomennasai (Sorry bout that). They were also on the Connies tool

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    AZ1USN,
    I've also made quite a few airlifts aboard the old C-118's back in the day. Not as plush as the nice DC-7 in the vid but the VR guys maintained them real well and they got ya from San Diego to Alameda or wherever - just not real fast! :d
    I remember those days too. Off load the USS Hancock from a 10 month
    Tonkin Gulf cruise then hop on a Convair C131 at NAS Alameda for NAS Miramar.
    I remember the seats were facing towards the the rear of the plane. All the C9's did that as well.
    Guess it was a military thing.

Attachment 22103

Nice bit of film ;-) Thanks for sharing.
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

AZ1USN,
    Tarps,

Seems like I remember the C-118 was tail heavy? I rode in a few of them, and if I remember correctly, we had to move forward before landing, because of that?

NC

Love those old DC-4, DC-6 and DC-7s. They put a lot of work into that -7B to put her back in the air and she looks great.

Only military transport I ever rode in was a C-1A Trader that's now at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

AZ1, KNQA is about a two hour trip for me. I go down there about once a month.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Love those old DC-4, DC-6 and DC-7s. They put a lot of work into that -7B to put her back in the air and she looks great.

Only military transport I ever rode in was a C-1A Trader that's now at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

AZ1, KNQA is about a two hour trip for me. I go down there about once a month.
    Would be nice to see ya. I work over at Bupers (southside) where the Aviation "A" schools were.
    The F-8(VF-24) and F4 (VF-154) that I loaded ordnance on (when I was a BB-Stacker) are
    in that museum. So you are in Trenton (Gibson County)? you are close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ1USN View Post
    Would be nice to see ya. I work over at Bupers (southside) where the Aviation "A" schools were.
    The F-8 (VF-24) and F4 (VF-154) that I loaded ordnance on (when I was a BB-Stacker) are
    When you mentioned the Hancock and Miramar I figured you were in either 24 or 211. You probably shared some of those airlifts with my squadron buds from VFP-63 Det 19. Small world, ain't it? Only once did we luck out and get a hop back to Miramar on a C-131, nicer seats than a C-118.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ1USN View Post
    The F-8(VF-24) and F4 (VF-154) that I loaded ordnance on (when I was a BB-Stacker) are
    A few miles north of Trenton, just outside of Dyer. Other than the exchange and the comissary, I'm not really that familiar with the base as I was never there on active duty.

Bupers? I was stationed at EPMAC for a few years when it was still down in New Orleans. Last I heard they moved it to Millington after Katrina.

I'll send you a PM when I know when I'll be down there next.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

When you mentioned the Hancock and Miramar I figured you were in either 24 or 211. You probably shared some of those airlifts with my squadron buds from VFP-63 Det 19. Small world, ain't it? Only once did we luck out and get a hop back to Miramar on a C-131, nicer seats than a C-118.

Yup, Was with VF-24 F-8C's. We got 5 mig kills back in July '67, same year Forrestal
    burned up (she was supposed to relieve us). We went along side to help, what a mess.
    I remember the VFP Photo birds. I remember when they had beer machines in the Miramar
    Barracks you could drop a quarter in and get a cold Bud. That was when Admiral Zumwalt was the CNO.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    A few miles north of Trenton, just outside of Dyer. Other than the exchange and the comissary, I'm not really that familiar with the base as I was never there on active duty.

Bupers? I was stationed at EPMAC for a few years when it was still down in New Orleans. Last I heard they moved it to Millington after Katrina.

I'll send you a PM when I know when I'll be down there next.
    EPMAC was absorbed by BUPERS here in Millington.
    They have their own Pers code. We had a massive Flood here last May,
    did over 2/3 mil in damages to buildings, carpets, computers, furniture was ruined.
    Levy overflowed its banks.