Needed: advice from drummers!

Thread: Needed: advice from drummers!

Needed: advice from drummers!

I've been thinking about buying a used drum set. Have always wanted to play drums, but don't know anything about brands, etc...

Would appreciate some tips on what NOT to buy, and what to look for!

Also, how much I could reasonably expect to pay for a used set.

Thanks.

NC

My son would know, but he's not at home.

Cees

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    not really my expertise
    but
    http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...Set?sku=712873
    thats new
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

If you're just beginning to learn, the brand shouldn't matter, as long as the shells aren't warped or cracked. Good drum heads make all the difference too. I like Remo Pin Stripes, they'll make any drum shell sound good, IMO. I'd also recommend good hardware. Beginner sets will come with good drums but lack good hardware (cymbal stands). I always prefer excellant cymbals (Zildjian,Piaste), but when I first began playing, pizza pans would do just as well. Brands to suggest would be Tamma, Ludwig, DW, just to name a very few. I have a 5-piece Pearl Forum Series with 7 Zildjian cymbals and don't need much more. $500 should get you a decent used kit.

Charter Member 2011
    or if neighbors are a problem ... http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumprod...0&CTID=5040587
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post

It's partly BECAUSE of my neighbors that I plan on buying a real set of drums.

NC

There's a big difference in real drums and electronic pads.

Quote Originally Posted by thisizma View Post

Oh I am quite aware of that!

As long as you set it up that you are comfortable, it shouldn't matter.
    You said you want to learn...! You don't need the ultimate sound, just learn the techniques.
    3 Toms, a snare, hihat, bass drum, a 'ride' and a 'crash' cymble are the beginners standard.
    It's great fun once you can coordinate your limbs independantly! Don't worry about the manufacturer yet. Any basic set will do for learning.
    They say that good drummers are good helicopter pilots!

Quote Originally Posted by stuartcox View Post
    As long as you set it up that you are comfortable, it shouldn't matter.
    You said you want to learn...! You don't need the ultimate sound, just learn the techniques.
    3 Toms, a snare, hihat, bass drum, a 'ride' and a 'crash' cymble are the beginners standard.
    It's great fun once you can coordinate your limbs independantly! Don't worry about the manufacturer yet. Any basic set will do for learning.
    They say that good drummers are good helicopter pilots!
    This is absolutely true. I started playing with one drum. A snare.

Huh. I'm a good drummer but I suck at helicopters. Oh, well.

I have Pearl mostly. Good stuff. Low line these days is high quality when I was growing up, so don't be afeared of beginner quality. Pacific is a Drum Workshop offshoot, Gretch is very good, and they have low dollar stuff.

Musicians Friend is a neat place to look around at different drumsets. Feel free to email me questions if ya wanna. I played professionally for half my working life.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    It's partly BECAUSE of my neighbors that I plan on buying a real set of drums.

NC

i know, but in a cramped town house thats been converted into 3 flats with others next door their a god send! just plug in the headphones and go!
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Here's my two cents:
    I've been playing drums since age 5. I started out with a small but "real" set of drums. I think it had a 16" kick drum!
    I agree with much of what's been said but would add this to it, for a lot of people, playing drums is much harder than it looks. That's not saying they can't learn to play, but if you can't do the old "rub your belly, tap your head" thing, you should probably try something else. That's why I would say if your going to purchase a set of drums/cymbal's to buy a lower end set but still from a good manufacture. I'm not saying to go out and buy a set of DW's ($$$$$$$). Just don't go out and buy a "student set" either. You should be able to get a fairly nice set for under $700 especially if you buy used. Cymbals can be very expensive too, but they also make some pretty decent sounding "Starter" sets now. Check out your local music store for some used stuff.
    Then I would suggest taking some lessons for awhile. But remember to have fun.
    I can't imagine not playing anymore. It's just part of who I am. I don't play acoustic drums anymore because of living in an apartment. But I've owned a set of Rogers, a set of Ludwig's, a set of Yamaha's, plus a set of Simmons (back in the 80's). Now I play a set of Roland electrics.
    As someone already said, their really different to play than acoustic (feel wise/action), but they sound great! If I had my choice though, it would be acoustic all the way.
    Good luck in your search and let us know how it turns out. I'd be happy to give advice on some choices you find.

Tom

Bought this yesterday from a Craigslist ad. I've downloaded a couple tutorial videos, and ordered some drum head baffles (don't want my neighbors shooting at my house!).....

I am psyched!

Note to Kevin: thank you so much for your advice!!

Pete

Good looking set NC. Good solid hardware, makes all the difference when you get to banging away. You may want to get another cymbal, too. Gets kind of boring when you just have the one "tone". Good luck, and enjoy yourself. I haven't played in too long, but you'll find it makes a great way to reduce stress.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)