Making FS9 Look Great For Free Version 2 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Making FS9 Look Great For Free Version 2

Glad I could help.
    And remember, morewatr has, in my opinion, the best water textures (try flying in the carribeans ), but not the best water reflection. The best water reflection is in another package, and I really can't remember which one :/

Cool

Hi,

If anyone would like to try them I will post how and what I used out of his pack. Was pretty simple.
    As I like the simple things I'm interested to try them

Quote Originally Posted by claudius24 View Post
    Hi,

As I like the simple things I'm interested to try them
    Hey Claudius24. You will be interested in the one texture out of "Murky Water download. It's name is 003b2wa1 It is the darkest non-muddy looking of his three textures and is not muddy brown.
    --------------------
    Instruction:
    1. Grab the Murky Water download

2. Make a folder for backup of your three textures out of Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/Scenery/World/Texture folder and put them in the Backup folder. Here are their names:
    001b2wa1
    002b2wa1
    003b2wa1
    (Grab out of FS9 and put in backup folder! Just in case you want to go back to them)

3. Make another folder you will be using as an alteration holding folder. Now copy and paste the "Murky Water" 003b2wa1 texture one time into your alteration holding folder and then rename it 001b2wa1.

Next paste another copy of the 003 texture into the work folder and rename it 002b2wa1.

Then paste a third copy of it in and rename it 003b2wa1.

Now you should have the three re-named textures that are of the one 003 Murky Water texture in this holding alterations folder all named this:
    001b2wa1
    002b2wa1
    003b2wa1

4. Now COPY all three of these altered textures you just renamed and past them into the:

Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/Scenery/World/Texture, folder. That's it!

=============================================== Note: My FS9 setting as you see them in the pictures above are set to:

Options / settings / Display, All sliders are set to full right except for "Water Effects": which slider is set for half way.

Cool

Hi,

Thank you for posting

This is the result in my install (nice for me)

My base for water is ultimate water (first version) from Zinertek

Wow that top picture looks nice Claudius!

Is that the "Murky Water" 003 texture in the top photo of that small lake? It looks a little bit more blue than in my posted pictures. Looks very nice though!

Cool

Hi,

Is that the "Murky Water" 003 texture
    Yes .. it's how is it after applying your trick

Got a question that for you Guys and Gals can anyone recommend a good Envmap file or explain how to tweak it, in particular one that would make the aircraft reflections a bit more realistic ?
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

T Square

There are a number of replacement envmaps to be had. BananaBob did one that is very widely used...I have no idea where it can be found. I used it for a while, then I found one that I like better. But, I can't recall where I found it. Renvmap.zip or something like that is the name. I will look to see if I can locate it on one of the main download sites.

OBIO

Found it! Realenvmap.zip at Simviation.com. By Pedro Padilla. It is in the FS2004 MISC section.

Also found another package on Simviation that I had forgotten that I use. High Rez Moons. On page 21 of the FS2004 Scenery section. There is also an update package on the same page. By Roy "Boikat" Althol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just downloaded about a dozen enhancement packages off of Simviation.com that I will be testing out in the next few days. Will report on how they work out.

One of the major things that I am looking to improve is the grass around my airports. For some reason, the grass/ground found at the airports is UGLY! I am looking to improve that BIG TIME!

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Anime Adoring Aviator
    OBIO, did you try the grass texture in Pablo Diaz's HDEv2? I think it looks a lot better.

I have the detail1.bmp from HDEv2 installed...and it gives the grass a very nice 3D quality. But the grass around my airports...it's not the texture of the grass that is bad...it is the color, the clarity. Very pixelated, blurry, doesn't even look like grass.

Here are three screenshots, taken from the top down view. Not how horrible the grass around the airport looks compared to the surrounding scenery.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

norab

I downloaded and installed PicNic. It didn't change much. The grass texture changed...being more or less lumpy looking, but the colors and pattern were still terrible.

Does anyone know what files are used to place the grass around airports and runways?

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    norab

I downloaded and installed PicNic. It didn't change much. The grass texture changed...being more or less lumpy looking, but the colors and pattern were still terrible.

Does anyone know what files are used to place the grass around airports and runways?

OBIO
    The default files are numbered 139 through 143 with seasons i.e. sp, su, fa, wi and hw. You'll find them in the scenery/world/texture folder. The area covered by one tile is pretty large, usually a smal airport will only have a single one as background, so there is not much scope for fine detail.

Cheers,
    Sascha

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Already the document needs updated! The packages that norab pointed out a few posts above, the water packages...those are nice. The water looks amazing! I checked out the water at several points around the world...rivers, lakes, ocean...and I like it. However, I could not use the water effects. For some reason, those effects files threw my sim for a loop. The water would blink sort of....for a second the water looked incredible, then it would go all flat and pixelated for a second. Back and forth...Incredible, horrible, incredible, horrible. So I put the stock water effects back in place and just used the water textures...all is good. Water looks great, sim runs as smoothly as ever.

OBIO
    I tested this on my machine. Takes forever to load. When it does pop in it looks great. Too much load on my video card. I uninstalled the effects. That's what the controller said. But I still have the blinking neon sign look like it's still there. Almost as if the program never uninstalled the effects. I reinstalled and uninstalled again. It's still there. How to fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Now for FS9, I remember that my favorite package was called morewatr.zip. I was using it together with another package nammed "inland water textures", that was providing a much more pleasant color to the lakes and rivers. Morewatr was bringing some new and beautiful water textures for the seas and oceans, as well as new waves and water reflections that I liked a lot. I can however remember that there was another package with better waves, I don't know the name, though...
    Here are two that I found for inland water. Though I'm not sure which is best.

FS2004 Inland Water And River Textures 2.0
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: aawater2.zip Size: 2,088,755 Date: 06-23-2005 Downloads: 7,752

FS2004 Inland Water And River Textures 2.0. Corrects textures of all inland water (lakes, rivers, canals, streams) to appear more photorealistic. Version 2 is more color-matched than version 1. Also more compatible with various world regions. New 3D streams texture included. Textures vary with time of day and sky conditions. Version 1 had over 6000 downloads from various sites. By Adnan Arif.

FS2004 Inland Water Textures
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: inlndwtr.zip Size: 327,842 Date: 01-05-2005 Downloads: 1,784

FS2004 Inland Water Textures with a perfect balance of blue and brown. By Matt Wier.

Hi Oleboy, You need this download also for the effects to work right. it was posted a day or two later. You need all three downloads working together to get the effects working properly

Quote Originally Posted by norab View Post
    My apologies to all, had it on my system so long I forgot about it. This is a frontend for the water texture packages that let it work properly and effects be switched in FS2004, at Flightsim, please be sure to read the directions

FS2002 - FS2002 Misc. FS2002/FS2004 OceanFX v2.00
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: ofx20sa.zip Size: 948,236 Date: 08-10-2003 Downloads: 5,351
    FS2002/FS2004 OceanFX v2.00 - Front-end for Ed Truthan's oceans effects and textures. Enables the user to select the desired waves and textures through the use of a Windows application. Compatible with both FS2002 and FS2004. Stand-alone version: requires OCEANSFX.ZIP and OCEANSTX.ZIP. Freeware by Johan de Vries. (Previous version had 5040 downloads.)

Quote Originally Posted by norab View Post
    Hi Oleboy, You need this download also for the effects to work right. it was posted a day or two later. You need all three downloads working together to get the effects working properly
    Yes sir. I understood that. It just doesn't want to work for some strange reason. I tried several wave heights and settings, but all the water appears to look like a mass of blinking particles. Even after uninstall. I don't know why. Once I get the particle effect resolved, I'll gladly test it again

Found TreexFS9.zip at FlightSim which puts FSX type trees in FS9. They're not as small a trees as Fengs, but I like the look better. Besides, I was missing having to dodge trees on short final.

And just for the record Obio, this thread is costing me money. I got more interested in the look of FS, which lead to more scenery add ons. That in turn has lead me to wanting to dabble in scenery development, and it's looking like I'm going to be purchasing something like EZ Scenery. :d
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

That in turn has lead me to wanting to dabble in scenery development, and it's looking like I'm going to be purchasing something like EZ Scenery. :d[/QUOTE]

Make sure you have plenty of time on your hands as tinkering with the scenery is extremely addictive.:salute:

Just my two pence, but I think this needs to be a permanent sticky. Too much good info in here to let it slide back to page 7 (where I found it) or farther.

Edit: I did get EZ Scenery and am learning how to use it. You're right about the extremely addictive.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Just my two pence, but I think this needs to be a permanent sticky. Too much good info in here to let it slide back to page 7 (where I found it) or farther.

Edit: I did get EZ Scenery and am learning how to use it. You're right about the extremely addictive.
    Yes Willy, it needs sticking!

Lets hear some opinions on trees. Four photos of the same spot, July 4th, 10am, facing West on Whidbey Island.

There is default, Fengtreegen, treefs9, and a combo. I did not alter the photos. The default are brighter, Fengs are sized better but darker, Treesfs9 are large and dark with a lot of brown trees in July.

Are there any others that are better than these three options? Which is best?

Thanks for the BUMP claudius. I had forgotten about some of these cool addons.

I finally got Holger Sandmann's scenery working properly but I had to delete UT. I just could not eliminate all the extra and misplaced shore lines created between FSG, HS and UT, even after following everyones advice and all the instructions on the FSG and HS forums.

But I'm very happy with what's left! With the new FSGDEM19M mesh and some of this other FREE scenery stuff my FS9 is beginning to look really good!

Thanks to all contributors here (and elsewhere too!), not the least of whom are the makers of such wonderful gifts!

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

This thread is now Stickied. The idea of it being a permanent Stickie, along side the freeware Gems thread, is a good one. A perpetual archive of tips, tweaks, and packages to make FS9 look great for no, or close to no, money.

I will take a copy of Feng's TreeGen and see if I can lighten the trees a bit. The default trees are brighter and give more contrast, but just too darn big.

OBIO

I was able to lighten the trees in Feng's Treegen...but I went too far...they are too light. Will take some time to get them lightened enough but not too much. Once I get a set that looks good, I will ask for a couple testers to give them the looking over so that a happy medium can be reached....if 8 testers out of 10 are happy with them...that should be good enough to make most people happy. I will send a PM to Feng asking his Okay on doing the tweaking to his work..don't want to step on his toes in any way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]