Mb wont load
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mb wont load

scruffbag

Mb wont load

i installed MR's marianas scenery,along with all the other addonds it needs,and now mission builder wont load.any ideas??

When you say MB won't load, does it give an error message or does it just crash?

scenery on its own won't affect MB. It is object DPs that can cause it problems

Next question for you, how many aircraft are in the install?
    If 90 plus that will be your problem.

Next, did you add any ships?

The most stuff you have proberbly added is infrastructure.

We can get down to that once plane numbers are ruled out

scruffbag
    i only have 70 odd aircraft,and it crashes.also when i try to go to advanced info,in game,that will cause a crash too.i havent added any ships.

Have you added object names to mdlnames.txt ?

scruffbag
    i did,probably 50 or so

Ok what I want you to do is temporarily disable mdlnames.txt, do this by right clicking it select rename, change it to mdlnames.tmp; windows will ask if you are sure you want to do this, you are.
    Once you have done this try and start MB and see what happens

scruffbag
    ok,i tried that but no good

yes I missed a step, now create a false mdlnames.txt
    just right click an empty space in the CFS2 folder, select new txt
    obviously name it mdlnames.txt
    do not worry that it has no bytes in it

scruffbag
    all i can add is a new folder

task bar,
    File New Text Document

We need to establish wether you corrupted mdlnames.txt by deleting or overwritting the end of file marker.
    The quickest way would be to replace it with an empty file.
    Mission Builder has no problem with an empty file, I just did the same on mine.
    It does have a problem whith a missing file, I had a five year old yelling at me as well You will forgive me for forgetting

scruffbag
    im assuming the task bar is at the top,it says file in the top right?i clicked on that and i can only add new folder.

scruffbag
    no worries.i cant see an end of file marker,so it msu have been deleted or whatever.bugger.

can you not think of another way to make an empty txt file ?
    try using notepad to create it

Did you add airbases to ..\INFO\Airbases.dat ?

scruffbag
    no,dont know much about pc's.i just copied and pasted the marker form airbase.dat to mdlnames,but that didnt work either.

scruffbag
    i did add some airbases yes.there is a marker at the end,with a space between the last airbase enrty and the marker.

I have to cook supper for girls now, I may be mistaken about the file marker, My mdlnames doesn't have one But that doesn't help, creating an empty version is a quick way to establish wether that file is the problem.
    If you don't know much about PC s, are you ready to change that?

scruffbag
    yes i am.thanks.catch ya later mate.

What OS are you using? XP Vista or Win7

scruffbag
    windows 7

Ok, I don't have windows 7 so I am working in the dark here,
    I think you are anable to create files like text documents in the program directory because of a thing called UAC.
    User Account Controls. it was introduced in Vista as a sort of fool proofing
    to prevent people who don't know what they are doing from messing up their systems.
    Whilst it is annoying when trouble shooting games mods. It is proberbly a good thing to have.
    If your computer is yours alone then you might try deactivating it like this.
    Otherwise it maybe wiser to shift the whole CFS2 Folder into your home folder where you should have file writing priviledges.
    Your "home" folder is the one that has your logon name in C:\Documents and Settings

CFS2 is not dependent on the windows registry and so it should run from anywhere on your system or network

Some ancillery programs and self installers do look to the registry to find where CFS2 is though, so if you do move it they will need to be told where it is.

The question is will UAC allow you to move CFS2

Are you able to rename your CFS2 folder where it is?

All this is by the by

I have run some experiments on my own install and am unable to stop MB from loading by deliberatly messing with mdlnames.txt or airbases.dat.

So Reinstate your original mdlnames.txt

We have to go back to square one.
    I presume you knew all the stuff you needed to install by following MR s readme,
    did you add anything else as well or just what it says in the readme.

scruffbag
    hi, only added what the read me said i needed.

HHmmmm any thoughts, Chris?

I guess not,

Scruff did you make a back up your CFS2.GSL before adding the extras?
    Try reinstating the back up but keep the new one in case this is not the problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0