Airship Macon - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airship Macon

Where's the Beef?

I went looking (Avsim/Flightsim) for the Macon et all and all I see is the FS9 version.
    Again, wheres the beef? Is it not posted yet?

A few files just showed up on Avsim dot com.

YEEHAW! I cant wait to use PutPut's Sparrow in multiplayer on this thing! Going to be fun to connect to the great Macon! Thank you Jim and gang! WooHooo!
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

I really enjoy flying this. I've just had one problem, the radio's don't show for me with "Shift-3."
    I see the panel flash on the screen for a half-second and then nothing.

BTW, another good book relating to the Akron and Macon is The Flying Hookers, which has a lot of detail on the hanger section. Just an FYI.

We'll take a look at that, Sundog.

I just uploaded the Macon AI's. There are two versions, one for mission/scheduled AI and one for AI Carriers that Paul Clawson helped us out with. These AI's have about half of the polys and half of the draw calls as the full version. They were uploaded to both Avsim and Flightsim.

So what we have uploaded now :

USS Macon
    North Island High Mast
    NAS Sunnyvale
    Macon AI's

Yet to Come:

USS Patoka locations.

Just took a flight from Moffat Field to NAS Alameda. Too cool!

Thanks for this awesome add-on!

-G-
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

Can you actually snag the trapeze on the AI Macon with Putt-Putt's Sparrowhawk?

And how do you get the trapeze to lower on the AI Macon?
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

I'll check it out. The trapeeze should be already lowered on the AI version. Please send a screenshot. (and a route for me to test it out?) None of the folks on the beta did AI. I tested the AI model by putting it in as the exterior model for the flyable Macon.

You can't actually link up with the Macon in normal gameplay. I would bet that someone who does missions could come up with a method.

Try the AI Carriers version. I could actually get close enough so it would count with that.

Excellent pice of work, Jim et al. Trying to get her off the ground now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Edited for speeling..
    Visit the tribe @ islandsim.com

Interesting. I once saw a documentary about her crash. It even involved an eye-witness, "Flying Aircraft Carrier" on Discovery Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhaenens View Post
    You can't actually link up with the Macon in normal gameplay. I would bet that someone who does missions could come up with a method.
    What happens if you set the trapeze as a arrestor cable, and put a "tail hook" on top of the plane with an exagerated cable force ? doesn't the plane stay "attached" to the cable ? I'm referring to Acceleration native features here.
    If I remember correctly, on a carrier, until you raise the hook, you can't move on the deck, can you ?

Tried it ... doesn't work.

I have experimented with hooking up the Sparrowhawk and a test airship for about 2 years. The tests were with a AI airship in AICarriers and a model of the F9C with the hook assigned to the top hook. I used FSX Acceleration attachpoints to define the trapeze. All attempts were NOT successful. If you look at the fine print with both the rcbco-30 gauges and the FSX Acceleration wires you find the aircraft wheels must be on the deck for a successful trap. That doesn't look feasible for an airship.
    As Jim has suggested perhaps it can be done in the confines of a mission. I am not the guy to pursue that as I have never created a mission nor even looked at the mission builder.

Best, Paul

Blog Entries
    I know this only a

But what about this: if FSX requires you to "touch down" to trap, then would it be possible model a short hangar (think a box with fore and aft walls open) that would hang under the airship, right underneath where the actual hangar would sit in the airship. It of course, would have no textures, but would have a hard "deck" (also untextured) - so in effect, you'd actually be landing on your wheels in this short wee hangar.

You'd have to add a "virtual" tailhook to the Sparrowhawk, but that would be not be visible in the sim. I know that trapping with your wheels rather than your overwing hook is not the same, but you have somewhat of the sensation of "trapping" aboard the airship.

Like I said, just what came to mind ...

dl

I tried that about a year ago as one of the experiments. Indeed, you can trap. However, the plane doesn't stay there and although the deck was not visible, the planes shadow certainly showed. Didn't look right at all.

Best, Paul

Why can't you define an area of the trapeze wire, say from the wire and a couple of feet forward a "runway/deck" then assign a "wheel" to the crux of the sparrow hawk hook so it lands on it? Also, could you bend the edge of the "invisible" deck up, so the plane/hook doesn't roll backwards off it and put another small wheel on the hook arm, like a bumper, to keep the plane from rolling forward on the hook. I can draw a picture of it when I get back from running errands to explain what I'm talking about.

Or just make a flight deck that looks like a rain gutter in cross section running across the trapeze wire and have the hook wheel land in it? If this works, you could make it so when the trapeze retracts, the gutter always stays up, keeping the plane attached, then make the trapeze move with the retract gear command (maybe spoiler command would be better?) and use shift-E to close the hanger doors. Of course, I don't know that you could make a deck change position like that, but it would be cool if it was possible for the trapeze action.

The problem is that the hook ONLY stops the airplane. It does not support it. Even on the top of the aircraft - all it does is halt the forward motion. You must have a runway to support the airplane. That involves putting an invisible runway forward of the lower fin and aft of the Control cab. BUT, you can not run into the runway without crashing - so you need to fly beyond the fin, then up between the fin and the invisible runway, then between the invisible runway and the lower part of Macon's hull (without flying up into Macon) - and THEN you could trap on the trapeze (stop). Leaving the trapeze involves flying forward until you are clear of the invisible runway, but before you run into the control cab, and then dropping down between the end of the invisible runway and the control cab. Wayne and I tried to fly this pattern in multiplayer early in the development, without success (and I'm a hell of a good real-world "stick"). I'm not saying that this can't be done - but we couldn't figure out how to do it. In real life, there was (of course) no invisible runway needed, so a Sparrowhawk pilot could fly up to the trapeze from pretty much below.

Bill

I have an idea - but no time to test it - but I'll offer it up as a suggestion.

Instead of making a modification to the plane or the airship - make a third object, an AI invisible landing strip. In the AIcarriers cfg file position the landing strip so that it is about 80' below the airship. I know you can make FSX materials that don't cast shadows - maybe you can make a shadow free SparrowHawk.

Remember how folks used to make hangers with animated doors that would be triggered when you dialed in a certain radio frequency. Maybe you could do something similar to the ai landing deck.
    You land on the deck, dial in the frequency and the deck is animated to move up and it carries up the plane so that it's level with the trapeze. Then you "taxi" over to the trapeze. To launch the plane you'd just change the radio frequency and the invisible landing deck would drop down and you could fly away.

Not realistic - but it might look good.

Great work guys, absolutely beautiful Jim!

Huub

Thanks for the information about the tests with the airborne wire. Too bad it doesn't work...
    And I suppose FSX SDK won't let you 'attach' a plane to a very sort tow rope either ?

Turn off Morse Code Sounds

How do you turn OFF that blasted morse code sound. Beep beep beep is very annoying.

I looked in the Control radios section and press just about every radio related key possible
    yet that blasted code is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by X_eidos2 View Post
    I have an idea - but no time to test it - but I'll offer it up as a suggestion.

Instead of making a modification to the plane or the airship - make a third object, an AI invisible landing strip. In the AIcarriers cfg file position the landing strip so that it is about 80' below the airship. I know you can make FSX materials that don't cast shadows - maybe you can make a shadow free SparrowHawk.

Remember how folks used to make hangers with animated doors that would be triggered when you dialed in a certain radio frequency. Maybe you could do something similar to the ai landing deck.
    You land on the deck, dial in the frequency and the deck is animated to move up and it carries up the plane so that it's level with the trapeze. Then you "taxi" over to the trapeze. To launch the plane you'd just change the radio frequency and the invisible landing deck would drop down and you could fly away.

Not realistic - but it might look good.
    X_eidos2 idea sounds quite feasable :salute: (This is from someone who has never designed or modified FS A/C, just my opinion)
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AZ1USN View Post
    How do you turn OFF that blasted morse code sound. Beep beep beep is very annoying.

I looked in the Control radios section and press just about every radio related key possible
    yet that blasted code is still there.
    Press Shift+3
    Radio panel comes up
    Change frequency on Nav radio 1 or Nav radio 2
    Beep beep beep goes away
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

While I LOVE the job that's already been done, I am with the group that thinks "trapping" on the Macon would be the ultimate in simming but I have zero experience with modeling or scenery design or any of the pertinent skills, so take the following with that in mind. Along with the trap wire on top idea, could the invisible "runway" that's required be instead, three small patches of runway (each with a rear lip to prevent slippage ala Sundog's idea) so that the wire would stop you, but you would have to set your wheels down precisely on their respective "runway patch"? If this were possible, wouldn't it help with the space issues? ...and maybe help a little with the shadow issue?

Another train of thought... I know the "mothership" concept must be possible in FSX because there's that payware I wish I could afford, the Bell X1, They figured out how to launch the X1 from an AI B29... I'm pretty sure they didn't figure out the landing bit, but is there any connection? Just thinking out loud...

Again, I love what has been done already and am deeply appreciative. Many thanks to all involved!
    "I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy"

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Press Shift+3
    Radio panel comes up
    Change frequency on Nav radio 1 or Nav radio 2
    Beep beep beep goes away
    OK, I hit the Shift+3 key no radio stack panel pops.
    Other things do, Gps, Buoyancy gauge and a menu of Shift +
    keys options.
    I use Win 7 64 bit with FSX/Accel.