IRIS Platinum Series A-10A Warthog Released!!
Page 1 of 14 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: IRIS Platinum Series A-10A Warthog Released!!

IRIS Platinum Series A-10A Warthog Released!!

Long awaited, much anticipated, this beautiful rendition of the (in)famous Warthog now finally comes to us properly in FSX !!

The A-10 Thunderbolt II is an American single-seat, twin-engine, straight-wing jet aircraft developed by Fairchild-Republic in the early 1970s. The A-10 was designed for a United States Air Force requirement to provide close air support (CAS) for ground forces by attacking tanks, armored vehicles, and other ground targets with a limited air interdiction capability. It is the first U.S. Air Force aircraft designed exclusively for close air support.
    The A-10 was designed around the GAU-8 Avenger, a heavy automatic cannon which forms the aircraft's primary armament. The aircraft's hull incorporates over 1,200 pounds (540 kg) of armor and was designed with survivability as a priority, with protective measures in place which enable the aircraft to continue flying even after taking significant damage.

Features:
    -Custom soundpack by IRIS AudioworX
    -3D Gauges for silky smooth operation and optimized performance.
    -A wide variety of visual models covering the A-10A with various loadouts
    -Superb flight models for the A-10A.
    -A wide variety of paintschemes in various resolutions to suit your individual systems.
    -Custom in cockpit audio for the pilot, airborne warning controller, tanker operator and more.
    -Working GAU-8 Avenger cannon with sound effects and mission capable model for droppable ordnance saved games.
    -New design techniques including 'Lotus Style' landing light effects, in-game night vision capability and more.
    To buy: http://www.flightsimstore.com/produc...oducts_id=1433

PLEASE NOTE: The Hawg is available only from flightsimstore.com at this time, it should be up at the IRIS store in about 48 hours from now as well.
    [SIGPIC]Vista Australis[/SIGPIC]

We have restructured our local pricing and have dropped the local market cost of many of our products, some by as much as $10!! Take a look through the Flightsimstore and see if you can pick up a bargain..

DB.

(I'll be around for an hour or so to see if anything major occurs, but then I need some sleep!) I don't do all nighters as well as I used to!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Congrats David!:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Thx David... an MASTERPIECE!!! :salute:

Hopefully, with those nice old guages, it will not hit FR's as hard as the glass cockpit fighters that have come out over the past couple of years. I'll wait for some feedback first, as my PC struggles with complex instrumentation nowadays.

The model looks very impressive though.

Getting the same log-in problems from your link JayKae as Rattler's. I won't go to the site again until this it's fixed.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

It's not broken Roger... the problem is that your computer now thinks it is using that session ID, which it can't in correlation with your password and email address, so clear your browser cache/temp files, reboot and try it again, you should not have any dramas anymore.

I need to go and do some things, I will be back in about an hour or so if there are more issues pls be patient, lodge a ticket with FSS and I will tend to them asap ok ?
    [SIGPIC]Vista Australis[/SIGPIC]

I had no problems logging in... Downloading as i type but it's slooooooooooow (barely 40k/sec).

Fantastic job by Iris, super handling, rolls just beautiful.

Could do with routing the master arm switch through the weight-on-wheels switch, so wallies like me starting up with parking brake on and also set to armed mode, doesn't shoot up the air base :redf:

I was hoping for more whine from the engines, which is fairly distinctive for the A-10, but love the sounds otherwise.

Thanks for the extraordinary effort put into this, really enjoying it

Cheers

Allan

Thx Iris Team. Just downloading it now. Spent the day running errands and buying my daughter a homecoming dress. My kid said to me "dad you seem way too happy shopping with me for a dress, whats up?"

Anyways finished all my errands and came home to this...

Wow talk about waiting afew years for this... David cudos to you and your team for taking this project on.

R/S

Creeps.
    www.throttleback.net

Beautiful job! First impression is, I feel it is slightly over powered (as with most FS/X add-ons) BUT close to RW...I'd say yes. Feels very good on the controls and the cockpit...damn good indeed.
    Agree with the earlier post regarding the engine sounds...could use more whine for sure.
    Recommend highly
    Thanks IRIS

Thanks for the feedback guys...

As a point of note, on the subject of feedback, I'd be interested to know how she performs FPS wise? The model ships using 32 bit 2048 textures so it's high on the vid card memory, but she's been fairly well optimised for draw calls and I get a locked 60 on the outside and about 40-50 on the VC depending on where I am...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like it.

A few things I've noticed:

1) The HUD is still too dim. It should glow.

2) No canopy opening/closing sounds.

3) No bitching betty calling 'altitude altitude' 'pull up pull up'

4) Some strange 'fan' noise comes on in the cockpit, and in external views when I get some altitude

As for FPS, nice!

Regards, Diego

Diego.

1. The HUD is as bright as it's going to get... it's a lime green gauge with a lime green additive material applied to it. The reason it's dimmer than usual is that it's set behind a HUD glass and canopy glass material which dims it slightly...

2. The canopy open/closing sounds won't work if you use Shift+E to open the canopy. The sounds are linked to the custom audio, not the FSX sound engine... unlock the canopy and use the switch in the cockpit to open and close the canopy and you should be fine.

3. The A-10A doesn't have a bitching betty as far as I could recall. Certainly none was mentioned in the USAF manual on the A-10A.

4. That strange fan noise is the air conditioning system turning on at low ambient temperatures. It defaults to automatic use which is why it comes on without user interaction.

Hope that clarifies a few points..

DB.

Now I'm going to bed...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In my usual setup locked to 20 FPS displayed on a triple monitor through TH2GO, flying through the mountain areas just east of Vancouver with FTX NA scenery loaded and a ton of heavy cloud, I get completely smooth as butter flying with the default 2048 32 bit textures. Unlocking the frame rate gives me generally 45 fps jumping up in the 200 area intermittently, however the smoothness disappears and stuttering occurs.

I'm very happy with it in my normal setup

Thanks

As for Bitching Betty, "It was just after the Gulf War that the A-10A received its first major upgrade: the Low-Altitude Safety Targeting Enhancement (LASTE) system. LASTE included an attitude stabilization system (PAC or Precision Attitude Control) to improve accuracy while firing that amazing gun, updated weapons computers, the distinctive fuselage-mounted Pave Penny laser sensor, and a Ground Collision Avoidance System (GCAS) lovingly referred to as the “Bitchin’ Betty”."
    http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_446a.html

Diego

This Bird is awesome - thanks to all involved people of IRIS, you all did a fantastic job !

Dirk

Thanks Dirk..

Diego, if you or anyone can find more detail on the LASTE version and its systems specifics, I'll gladly look into seeing if I can incorporate it..

DB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sure thing,

I'll have an email sent to Col. Robert R. Swain, aka "Chopper Popper"

Diego

Thanks Diego.. much appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really, really, really want this!

David, I understand you can fire the guns outside of missions; but can you drop missiles or bombs outside of missions?

Great work :salute: , as soon as my plastic gains (and probably loses : ) some weight, I'll probably be downloading!
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Thank you IRIS team! OUTSTANDING JOB! My frames are no different from default aircraft, and she's a dream to fly. I love all the little details as well as the military radio chatter. Hats off to the whole team for bringing the Hog to life in FSX.....

Blog Entries
    Its quit humbling and yet amusing to me that i now find myself working on what is arguably, offhandedly, and unknowingly, the for-runner of this great little plane.. In world war two, they didnt use gattling guns, and the americans at least decided to throw ground troops with bazooka's at tanks.. The Russians had it right with their sturmovich's and other aircraft, and then finally in vietnam they finally figured out what an assault plane was for..
    I'm glad your enjoying our little piggy ..

Welcome to the British Army and RAF we've done the opposite we used to have can openers during the war, now we have to use yours lol! Still you don't kick your brother in the teeth do you haha!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

First flight

First flight. Real world pilot,life long simmer bla bla..... And nah I did not read the manual.
    I have not bought a payware in a L O N G but I have been around A-10s all my life and been waiting for this one. Keep me busy until the one with teeth is released from those Russian guys.
    Anyways, starts off cold and dark. Cnt E fired one engine up but then shut down. After a few minutes of staring at the tons of switches I admitted defeat and read the quick start pdf. Ahhhh theres a saftey switch on the rear left console. Plane comes to life but I still had to cnt-E to start.
    Pit looks great,blurry weak HUD though. I am one of the few who really cares less about the outside model but I know theres alot of you that cannot post enough pics of all the rivets. BTW the model does look great.
    Push the throttles to max and a quick accel. I pull back at 150k and the Hog climbs like a Lear 25. Very agile. Engine sounds are good as are wind. Entered the pattern and noticed at lower speeds the rudders are sensitive. Speed brake is effective. Flaps are not overdone and feel right. Touch down and roll out sounds on my setup are weak as are the gear and flap sounds. I know they are probably accurate with a helmet on but I will change that. I like a good retraction/extension and THUMP with the gear and a good loud roll. Since there is no tactile feedback I use audible sounds to mimic them.
    The grunting when pulling Gs had my dog staring at me. Annoying but I dig it.
    The flight model is convincing and smooth as butter. Nothing seems exxagerated. Flaps do not balloon,speed brake does not slam the speed....... Overall very good. Congrats
    I have not done any "by the numbers" flying or real world comparisons. IMO this a stick and rudder in the weeds,terrain following,canyon crawling fun plane and thats all I really wanted.

Performance on my I7 system which is not optimized and running a older 4700 1 gig card is good. I would compare it to any of the nice paywares released in the last few years. Flying the A-10 in sparse areas, desert,MOAS,ect the frame rate is really good.
    So first impressions just burning some holes in the sky.......

Members who have read this thread: 7