joystick question

Thread: joystick question

Question joystick question

I am thinking of getting the Saitek X-52 Control system, and I am a little worried. Currently, I use the Microsoft Sidewinder joystick that came out a few years ago. But I have another one that I had before this, and after a week of use, it became unresponsive in certain directions. So I wanted some background before I dropped $99 on this one. Does anybody have any problems with it?

Is it the pro or the vanilla X52? There's a difference in build and features, price too : )

I would go for it.
    I had the predecessors X36 and x42 (which I still have but not use), and bought the Saitek Yoke with 2 throttle quadrants (second one for 2/4 engine applications). Never had any problems with Saitek hardware, despite heavy use (Il2 !).

Cheers,
    Mark

It would probably be the the vanilla. I have enough trouble justifying all the time spent on this game as it is, not to mention $160 for a joystick.

I've had the vanilla x52 for four years now and have not had one problem.

I have the X52 system, and LOVE IT!

For years, I have used the CH Controls Fighterstick. Still have it, but it's just too bulky.

I am a converted fan of Saitek now!

I am on my second X52 after I literally wore the first one out. I looked long and hard for a replacement and considered the new Logitech HOTAS but in the end went with a new X52 and rudder pedals. My first one was over 5 years old (I got it lightly used) and I put close to 1,000 hours on it.

I still have the original and will use it as a spares source if need be. As to wear, after 5 years the rotary dials on the throttle developed 'dead' spots on the potentiometers where the tracks had worn over time and I had a couple of buttons on the stick that were intermittent, sometimes they worked first click and sometimes it took a couple of presses before they made contact.

I also have the Saitek yoke and throttles and have been very pleased with those too although I don't use them very often as I have to switch my desk around to use them.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It would probably be the the vanilla. I have enough trouble justifying all the time spent on this game as it is, not to mention $160 for a joystick.
    Have a Pro for sale and the Flight Yoke with extra throttles, if interested. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk prices. I bought the X65F so the others are gathering dust.

Matt

I'm on my second X-52 Pro and this one is going the same way as the first...downhill. I find that the socket where the lead from the throttle plugs into the stick is badly designed. It should have some sort of clamp system to stop the lead moving. On both the Pro's I've owned the connection has become poor over a year or so, leading to intermittent signals being sent from the Stick to the PC.
    Cheers,

Nick

(screenshotartist - long gone)

Members who have read this thread: 0