The Alps, The Storch and underground runways.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Alps, The Storch and underground runways.

The Alps, The Storch and underground runways.

I'm trying to do some winter flying in the Alps with Tim's Storch. My European scenery is bone stock and it seems I have several runways in France and Switzerland in the valleys of the Alps that are below ground level. Is this something in my setup or an FS problem? Before I load up Holger's Alps mesh I was wondering if anyone knows of a flatten or some other fix for airports in this region?

Attachment 63281

They may be grass runways camouflaged by your winter textures. Have a look at the airports in question with AFCAD2 and see what the runway surfaces are listed as - or post the airport ID's and someone here can do it.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    They may be grass runways camouflaged by your winter textures. Have a look at the airports in question with AFCAD2 and see what the runway surfaces are listed as - or post the airport ID's and someone here can do it.
    These were all paved strips Tom. I started on the runway at a few of them with very odd visuals. I take off then pop up out of the ground. I haven't messed with AFCAD but that sounds like a good suggestion. I'll also get a list of a few of the offending airports.

Hey Tom,
    I might have confused you with the picture. That's just another shot of Tim's great Storch, it was not meant to show the issue I'm having, sorry.

As I said in another topic, together with the Mesh from Holger, you should install the swizzerland landclass nammed ebch3tot.zip. It will definitely improve the way Swiss looks

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    As I said in another topic, together with the Mesh from Holger, you should install the swizzerland landclass nammed ebch3tot.zip. It will definitely improve the way Swiss looks
    Thanks for the recommendation. Going to load it up soon! Some of the airports I'm having a problem with are:
    LIMW Italy
    LSTS Switzerland
    LSGK Switzerland
    LSGL Switzerland
    LSGS Switzerland

There seem to be quite a few in this area. Holger's mesh helped somewhat. The giant hill in the middle of the runway at LSGS is still there but smaller. Is there good payware scenery for this area? UT Europe maybe?

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Monk,

Where did you get that fantastic winter cammo paint scheme? I had a model of a Storch just like that when I was a little kid. Have wanted that for Tim's Storch for ages...

We need some cool little castle ruins for in the Alps. Fictional of course, but cool to use as landmarks. Those and some cool Challet's.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Perhaps this will be right what you are looking for Bill, available at www.avsim.com

Screenshot is my own, taken last night.

File Description:
    This is a collection of landmark objects from Switzerland, mainly historic buildings, mountain shelters, hospital and other objects. All models are build using gmax and as close to the respective originals as possible. Use these landmarks for VfR flight or just for fun. The mounting shelters can all be reached by helicopters. All objects tested with Switzerland Professional 2004 scenery only (www.flylogicsoftware.com).

Filename: jj_swiss_bits.zip
    License: Freeware, limited distribution
    Added: 26th July 2008
    Downloads: 1789
    Author: Jannik Uhlmann
    Size: 24303kb

Cheers! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Monk,

Where did you get that fantastic winter cammo paint scheme? I had a model of a Storch just like that when I was a little kid. Have wanted that for Tim's Storch for ages...

We need some cool little castle ruins for in the Alps. Fictional of course, but cool to use as landmarks. Those and some cool Challet's.

Bill
    Hi Bill,

I just did that paint job, I wanted some winter camo for the Alps. I'm still putting some final touches on it. I'm an amateur painter at best but I can email it to ya when I'm done if you want. One drawback is the top of the fuselage and cowl aren't mapped separately from the fuselage so the spots look more like zebra stripes on top. BTW, I took the Storch to Courchevel France and it dawned on me that the Kodiak would be a perfect plane for that airport. Gonna try that next.

Excellent tip Flyboy, gonna load that up. Thanks.

-Bob

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Hey Bob,

Roger that. I would be honoured to have a copy. That is one well done cammo scheme.

FlyBoy,

Thanks for the heads up on that Swiss scenery. Off to download it.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

If you've got a hill in the middle of Sion, then something's definitely out of whack. Unfortunately, I've never had issues with my scenery, so I've never had any dealings with repair methods. Hopefully, someone here can offer a fix.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

If you've got a hill in the middle of Sion, then something's definitely out of whack. Unfortunately, I've never had issues with my scenery, so I've never had any dealings with repair methods. Hopefully, someone here can offer a fix.
    Thanks for checking Tom. At least now I know the problem is on my end. I figured there were too many messed up airports for it to be FS. Think I'll try reloading Europe and see if that helps.

If you've got a hill in the middle of Sion, then something's definitely out of whack.
    Amen Tom,
    During the work-up to last year's RTW Race I had to do a night descent thru the goo into Sion.. sure glad there was no hump/hill/mountain to ruin a perfectly good Bearcat. Went out the next day to see it in the sunshine.. nope.. no hill

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

I've been in love with Sion ever since FS2002 when it was used for the "Alps Approach" canned flight. I also love taking off to the west from there, hugging the deck through the point where the canyon turns north, then heading out over the lake to Geneva. It's lots of fun in a go-fast like Wozza's 'Stang!:d
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I reloaded the FS9 European scenery and that solved my problem. Everything back to normal and looking good. Thanks for the help.

SOH-CM-2024

I donl't have Holgar's Alps

This is FSGenesis mesh, 76-meter DEM for most of Europe, 19-meter DEM for the Alps. Would it interfere or would Holgar's mesh interfere with it?

I also have GE pro correlated with Active Sky 6.5 and Ultimate Terrain - Europe.

Caz

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    This is FSGenesis mesh, 76-meter DEM for most of Europe, 19-meter DEM for the Alps. Would it interfere or would Holgar's mesh interfere with it?

I also have GE pro correlated with Active Sky 6.5 and Ultimate Terrain - Europe.

Caz
    That looks great Cazzie. Holger's works well too but it creates some of the same problems I have with the Alaska mesh I'm using, some airfields wind up in trenches. I guess the more accurate mesh elevations don't always match up with the default airport altitudes. Courchevel wound up in a bit of a pit with Holger's mesh so I took it off temporarily. Any problems along those lines with FSGenesis? Or with UT Europe? Are you using the two concurrently?

Like your Swiss Storch Cazzie, I just got done with a Swiss adventure, here are a spread of shots.

Mike

And the rest ...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post
    Like your Swiss Storch Cazzie, I just got done with a Swiss adventure, here are a spread of shots.

Mike
    Nice shots Flyboy, what scenery is that? How about that paint job?

The paint job is the "Swiss Miss" actually a Pilatus P-3 that my Dad and I owned for several years - miss flying her,

The scenery is available at www.avsim.com for FS9 here:

File Description:
    This is a collection of landmark objects from Switzerland, mainly historic buildings, mountain shelters, hospital and other objects. All models are build using gmax and as close to the respective originals as possible. Use these landmarks for VfR flight or just for fun. The mounting shelters can all be reached by helicopters. All objects tested with Switzerland Professional 2004 scenery only (www.flylogicsoftware.com).

Downloads: 1798

Here's a real pic of the "Swiss Miss"

The livery was done for me by this fine SOH member here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...o&FileID=10344

Mike

The paint job is the "Swiss Miss" actually a Pilatus P-3 that my Dad and I owned for several years - miss flying her,

The scenery is available at www.avsim.com for FS9 here:

File Description:

Downloads: 1798

Here's a real pic of the "Swiss Miss"

The livery was done for me by this fine SOH member here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...o&FileID=10344

Mike
    Ah yes, the Swiss bits, I DL'd it, haven't loaded it yet. Beautiful Pilatus. Yeah, I bet you miss it. I would too. Is that you in your avatar in the F/A-18?

Yes, the 2 aircraft I have the most time in are the F/A-18B and the Pilatus P-3

Mike

Here's a better pic of me in a single-seat Hornet...

Yes, the 2 aircraft I have the most time in are the F/A-18B and the Pilatus P-3

Mike

Here's a better pic of me in a single-seat Hornet...
    Nice shot. I have a few hours in the A-7 from eons ago. Hahaha, you better be careful when you tell people you have P-3 time.

Found another Swiss landmark, this time a Cathedral.

Mike