Anyone know of a B-18A Bolo?

Thread: Anyone know of a B-18A Bolo?

Anyone know of a B-18A Bolo?

Does anyone know of a B-18A Bolo in military markings that can be used in FS9?

Many thanks

By our own PutPut no less -

FS2002 - FS2002 Aircraft FS2002/CFS2 Douglas B-18A Bolo
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: bolo.zip Size: 720,523 Date: 05-17-2003 Downloads: 1,298
    FS2002/CFS2 Douglas B-18A Bolo. This version of the B-18A is painted for the 21st Recon Squadron, Neutrality Patrol, Florida, January 1941. It is an FSDS2 project with full moving parts, opening bomb bay, transparent windows, nav lights (FS2002) and a specular color shine. Chuck Selby's C-47 panel and a .dp file are included. By Paul Clawson.

Coincidence, Planeaday has this photo up today. It ran off the end of the runway.

Thanks Rohan, will give it a try.

Nice image Terry, I was looking at some pics of the Bolo at McChord Air Museum which got me interested.

Thanks to both of you.

About 8 years ago, my son and I stopped to view the fuselage and other parts of the B-18 at McChord AFB. They were in the open adjacent the engine test stand building at the south end of the airfield. While all the parts were undamaged, time had not been kind to them. Lots of corrosion on the aluminum and the perspex panels were none too clear.

While we were inspecting the parts, a van pulled up and several elderly gentlemen stepped out to view the plane too. It turned out that they had been assigned to a B-18 unit in the Caribbean on anti-sub patrol during WW II and they were there to look at the plane before it entered the restoration process. It was interesting to talk to them and they took special pains to answer my son's questions about the old bomber.

Here it is in 2007, four years later, fully restored on the ramp at McChord AFB. What a difference a few years and who knows how many man hours made in her appearance.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    Here it is five years later and fully restored on the ramp at McChord:
    Hey now that looks nice

Regards,
    Stratobat
    'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'

That retractable gun turret would be a neat animated feature on a sim B-18. I think PutPut's version just has a generic turret.

Nice picture, interesting turret!

Many thanks for sharing.

Here are a few more photos.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    Here are a few more photos.
    Hey Jagdflieger,

Do you have a nicely sized image of the marking beneath the turret and to the right of the rear window?

Regards,
    Stratobat
    'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'

Quote Originally Posted by Stratobat View Post
    Hey Jagdflieger,

Do you have a nicely sized image of the marking beneath the turret and to the right of the rear window?

Regards,
    Stratobat
    Here's a couple decent shots of the bear.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25106728@N08/2690393886/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/msh-images/2058949396/

Thank you, OleBoy :ernae:

Regards,
    Stratobat

I wish I could get my head wrapped around aircraft modeling....the B-18B, with its graceful rounded nose, would be a plane that I would produce. But as the old nursery rhyme goes: How many planes would a plane modeler model if a modeler could model planes?

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    t as the old nursery rhyme goes: How many planes would a plane modeler model if a modeler could model planes?

OBIO
    I can't answer that. But my wife models a thong rather well

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    I wish I could get my head wrapped around aircraft modeling....the B-18B, with its graceful rounded nose, would be a plane that I would produce.
    Couldn't the stock FSX DC-3 be reworked into a Bolo using the source file from the SDK or would that be prohibited in terms of the EULA?

Regards,
    Stratobat

Stratobat

I have downloaded planes that contained bits and pieces from the MS supplied source files such as the Dc-3 and the Jenny. I wish someone would take the MS DC-3 source files for FS9 and remap the plane into a much more paintable form. All that mirrored texturing makes it nearly impossible to do any nice paints on.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Obio,

I had a look at the DC-3 source file and it would probably be easier to start from scratch. Interestingly enough, there is a book about the Douglas B-18 Bolo that was written by William Wolf (ISBN: 0764325816).

I wonder if any members here have the book and could comment on it?

Regards,
    Stratobat

Members who have read this thread: 0