Invisible VC

Thread: Invisible VC

Invisible VC

Once again I have had the experience of downloading a plane with a virtual cockpit that does not appear. Is it a matter of settings, or what? I checked in the panel file, and there are indeed the gauges appropriate for a VC, but no VC.

I've never been too bothered by it, since there are so many excellent aircraft out there. I'm just wondering why it is. The aircraft in question was a Pilatus PC 6 that I saw on the "Hot Files" over at flightsim.com. I also had the invisible VC experience with the most recent CRJ 700 or 900 from POSKY. I have an earlier version of the POSKY CRJ, and the VC shows up there.

Just curious...:ques:

It might be the eye point setting (set in the Views section of the aircraft.cfg file.) If the eye point is outside the model, such as too high or too far forward, you wouldn't be able to see the VC and you'd think it was missing.

I don't know, but I've long suspected, that things like screen resolution, or something else related to a specific computer, might affect the VC eye point. What makes me think so is that I've downloaded many, many models with VC eye points that are so awful that I can't believe a modeler would release a plane that way. The only explanation I can think of is that it must not look like that on their system.

Try this. Go to VC view and use the number pad keys to move your eye point well out to one side, turn 90* so you're facing the plane, then slowly move forward towards the plane until you can see where you'll wind up when you reach the fuselage. That will show you if the original eye point is way too high, low, or forward. Then adjust it in the Views section of the cfg file.

If that experiment doesn't reveal the problem, I don't know what else to try...

Are you using Win7??

I had a couple of my VCs disappear a couple weeks ago. These were planes I had flown the day before, and were fine. The scenery was also doing weird things, at places that I usually fly, so I knew it was fine. I restarted the sim, and it was still the same. Finally, I shut down the computer, went and drank a can of pop while doing a few other things, about a 1/2 hour. Came back and restarted computer, and have not had the problem since. Just a thought.

I don't have either of the planes you are talking about, but this occured for me with Carenado's Beeches, and FSD's new V-35, also. All during the same period/flight.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Are you using Win7??

The scenery was also doing weird things, at places that I usually fly, so I knew it was fine.

Well, this is another issue. I have had the scenery start growing gigantic crystals, and I am using Windows 7. Usually when I go back to the screen to select an aircraft, and then click the "fly now" button it resolves itself.

As for the eyepoint theory, I certainly know what you mean. My head's scraping the ceiling in the FSD Navajo, and on a number of other aircraft I have to push the seat way back. Whether it has caused the invisible VC I do not know, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Which aircraft is it? I have on a few occasions run across aircraft that did not include a vc, but the panel that came installed with it did have the VC entries in it...

If it's the new Turbo Porter by Tim Conrad, that is for FSX only. Because it's FSX native, I doubt it will ever properly, or at all, in FS9.

I think there is a freeware Porter for FS9, otherwise your only option is the payware FSD one.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

Myles