Area51 Sim U-2S Altitude problem?

Thread: Area51 Sim U-2S Altitude problem?

razor61

Area51 Sim U-2S Altitude problem?

Although a superb looking aircraft for FSX i am having serious problems getting any higher than 60,000ft with this aircraft.

U-2S Dragons transit at FL660 (66,000ft) and conduct missions between 70,000-80,000ft when in theatre.
    How would i tweak the aircraft to enable it to fly higher than 60,000ft without stalling?
    As soon as it goes above 55,000ft it becomes extremely difficult to control and even climb.

I know that from real footage of inside the U-2S the pilot shows that when at 70,000ft the U-2S Indicated Airspeed is around 120kts which in true airspeed is a lot higher and so the pilots do not go by the IAS when that high as its not the true ground speed. But it seems in FSX the aircraft seems to think that 120KIAS is Ground Speed and so the U2 is close to stalling.

I don't know anything about this model, and maybe even less about the real U-2, but I did read someplace that at these altitudes, the U-2 was in a tiny “window” of airspeed, of about three knots, between stalling, and max speed. So in that sense, your description is consistent with what I've read about that plane. Don't know what special techniques were used at high altitudes, but stall speed is stall speed, in KIAS terms, no matter how high you are. For a given ground speed (assuming no wind), the indicated airspeed will be slower the higher you go, which is why the U-2's (and all planes, for that matter) max speed gets closer and closer to it's stall speed as it gets higher.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

razor61
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    However as i stated, the KIAS is around 120kts for the U2 at 70,000ft but this is not the true airspeed, its really cruising at around 0.65 to 0.70 mach which is not anywhere near the stall speed.
    The KIAS is showing such a small speed number due to the air pressure being so low and so the real ground speed (TAS) is much higher, so it would not stall like it does in the simulator.

When James May went up in a two seat U2 a few years ago from Beale AFB he commented that seeing 120kts on the gauge was worrying but the pilot reassured him that the actual air speed they were travelling at was much higher (the mach number was shown to be normal cruise speed).

It seems though the simulator is acting on the KIAS near to 120kts and not enabling the U2 to climb much higher than 60,000ft without stalling when in fact the real U2 can still climb without a problem and cruise at a reasonable mach number.

It seems to be something that most of the aircraft models have trouble with, apart from the SR-71 from Alphasim but even then with that model you need afterburner on to achieve the Mach 3 cruise at 80,000ft which is again unrealistic.

There must be some way of tweaking the .air file or .cfg to achieve the real cruise characteristics of the U2S at altitudes above 70,000ft or so but its knowing what strings to tweak.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem with this particular U-2 model. I don't have it, so I can't say one way or another.

But...

If the stall speed for the U-2 is 120 knots, that is 120 knots indicated. If you're traveling at Mach 0.7 at 60,000 feet, and, due to the thin air, your airspeed indicator reads 119 knots, your plane will stall, even though you're traveling across the ground at 400 knots. Stall occurs at a particular indicated airspeed, not any particular true airspeed. It is certainly possible to stall at 0.7 mach, if your up high enough...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

The U2 does operate in a very narrow window, sometimes called Coffin Corner. The lower limit is of course the stall and the upper the mach limit. 120 knots would indeed be close to the stall value, and for a straight winged airplane, near the mach limit. Addtionally the plane really needs to be flown at or near the L/D max and certainly at the thrust/drag max for that altitude. The real plane must be flown on autopilot as hand flying would not be able to maintain the required precision at high altitude.

It might be helpful to asjust the 430 and 433 tables in thr.air file. It may be the mach drag onset needs to revised a little bit. A utility such as AFSD will show the mach drag values you are generating in it's aerodynamics tab.

Cheers: T

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ht=Area51+U-2S
    There are two Area51 releases, the 1st and an update. I have both. I had trouble getting above 65,000 feet with the update. I took the 1st air file and put it in the update. I was back to 80,000 feet.

It would seem Area51 needs to improve the airfile. I expect this will happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Pentium D 925 3.0Ghz dual core800 MHz FSB, (HP)MB Livermore-GL6, 2GB RAM PC2 4200 DDR 2 533 Mhz, ATI Radeon HD OC 4890 1GB GDDR5, Turbo-Cool 510 ps, Vista SP2 Home 32 bit, MS Sidewinder FF2, REX 2.0

I can confirm what Wilycoyote said. The update causes the issue. I've swapped to the old "aircraft" and "air" files and can easily exceed 70K feet.

Hopefully, Area51 will update, as the older files are a little over-powered at low altitudes if anything. Maybe they could see fit to add a "conventional" U-2S w/o the sat-link too!

Bill

U-2S air file

Hello,

I recently purchased the Area 51 dragon lady and have also experienced the same alt limitations and near stall speed issue. I purchased it from the Area 51 home page link to buy it.

I can't remember if the update was automatically installed or not, but FL80 is not reachable with my version.

Does anyone have the original air file, and if so is it possible to send it to me, with breaking any payware violations?

Thanks, Doug

Hi folks,

I’ve just purchased a copy of the A51 U-2 from PC Aviator. I’m also struggling with getting above 55-60k.

Any tips on how to modify the .air file? It seems A51 are a distant thing in the past now.

I’m actually writing an article on the U-2 for a UK aviation magazine and have recently met the 99th ERS and had a few rides in the chase cars. I decided to buy the A51 model to get some insight of what it feels like to fly!

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Handbook

Maybe a handbook of the U2 (only the A model) can help to get a good setup to climb...

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingr...ent/0005729692

Greetings RS

Quote Originally Posted by razor61 View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    It seems to be something that most of the aircraft models have trouble with, apart from the SR-71 from Alphasim but even then with that model you need afterburner on to achieve the Mach 3 cruise at 80,000ft which is again unrealistic.
    There's nothing unrealistic about that (I know its 10 years ago, but...) SR-71 would light the burners at 30,000 ft do a descend and accelerate manoeuvre known as the dipsy doodle and then power climb at 430 KEAS to 70-80,000 ft in full afterburner and that's where it would stay, cruising in full afterburner at Mach 3 until it's time to come down again to refuel/land.

I don't own the U-2, but did it come with a manual that guides you in how to climb and cruise? I only have a U-2C flight manual, and that aircraft was smaller and lighter than the U-2S.

Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Maybe a handbook of the U2 (only the A model) can help to get a good setup to climb...

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingr...ent/0005729692

Greetings RS
    That manual is for very early U-2 with the smaller wing and overall size, when compared to the modernised, re-engined 30% larger U-2S. You won't find a U-2S manual online, or if you do, you'll get a knock on the door!!

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    That manual is for very early U-2 with the smaller wing and overall size, when compared to the modernised, re-engined 30% larger U-2S. You won't find a U-2S manual online, or if you do, you'll get a knock on the door!!

It would be nice, if the CIA would knock on my door - to hand over my personal copy of the actual U-2 manual .

Quote Originally Posted by captdoug View Post
    Hello,

I recently purchased the Area 51 dragon lady and have also experienced the same alt limitations and near stall speed issue. I purchased it from the Area 51 home page link to buy it.

I can't remember if the update was automatically installed or not, but FL80 is not reachable with my version.

Does anyone have the original air file, and if so is it possible to send it to me, with breaking any payware violations?

Thanks, Doug
    Hello Doug,

I can definitely help you with this AIR file issue.
    I switched from the default one to a modified one (don’t know if that’s the updated one or not) a few year ago, and reaching the climb cruise altitude has been much much easier since then. Maybe even too easy.
    I’ll check the files in the next few days.

I toi would love to read the current U-2S flight manual, but as long as the Dragonlady flies for the USAF, I doubt it is declassified. And all fancy systems and their operation manuals will remain secret for a loooooong time I am afraid.

That would be good to know! Here's some video that I shot last month in the case car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4qjr-UgXhs&

You lucky bastard! Well done!

I do have the "high flying" AIR file. So check your PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekelekou View Post
    You lucky bastard! Well done!

I do have the "high flying" AIR file. So check your PM.
    Do you know if this aircraft works in P3Dv4 and if so, can I have the air file as well?

Hello Sean,

I don't own P3D in neither 32bit or 64bit version, so I can not vouch that it works. BUT since all the gauges are simple XML ones, I am pretty confident the U-2S should work fine in P3Dv4.
    Check your PM.

flyby94 : Your Inbox is full!

So here is the link to the .air file :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f4apjv4dm..._Lady.air?dl=0

To install it :
    0) Browse to your FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\U-2S folder and rename the U-2.air file to U-2_OLD.air
    1) drop the downloaded file into your FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\U-2S folder
    2) Rename the Area51_U-2_Dragon_Lady.air file into U-2.air
    You are done.

Happy flights!

Chase Car Radio Calls

Hi folks,After feeling that something was missing from the U-2 experience, I set out to add chase car (mobile) radio call-outs, through editing a GPWS add-on. It took me a couple of hours over some beer and wine one weekend, but it's made the Dragon Lady much easier, and more realistic to land! You can see it at the end of this video here: https://youtu.be/k-TPX_L7a7U Towline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekelekou View Post
    Hello Sean,

I don't own P3D in neither 32bit or 64bit version, so I can not vouch that it works. BUT since all the gauges are simple XML ones, I am pretty confident the U-2S should work fine in P3Dv4.
    Check your PM.
    Tiny diversion, and I apologize - but has anyone gotten this to work in P3Dv4? On my install, I have zero MFD functionality.

thx,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Tiny diversion, and I apologize - but has anyone gotten this to work in P3Dv4? On my install, I have zero MFD functionality.

thx,

dl
    On my rig it works without any tweaking, modding or anything, just an install. P3D v4.5 but not installed in the program files folders. My install sits in C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4.

Priller
    Last edited by Priller; February 18th, 2021 at 11:38. Reason: Alzheimer, I think...
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    On my rig it works without any tweaking, modding or anything, just an install. P3D v4.5 but not installed in the program files folders. My install sits in C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4.

Priller
    Dude - thanks so much! I avoid installing in the default folder too - I put my addons into the My Documents\P3DV4 Addons\ folder.

I absolutely loved this plane in FSX, and while I wish we'd have a small-wing A or C model, these are lovely for current / NASA operations.

cheers,

dl