When is a scenery project ready for release?

Thread: When is a scenery project ready for release?

When is a scenery project ready for release?

I have been working for a number of months on a scenery project covering Vancouver Island for Orbx PNW. I have over 14 Lighthouse stations (most with custom helipad platforms), 13 float plane bases with their docks, 9 heliports and a couple of unlisted airstrips. My problem is I keep coming up with more items to add to the scenery. I found I wanted AI float planes so I needed to create repaints for the default Beaver. When I added the lighthouses (fsx default) with the custom landable helipad platforms, the scenery looked stark, so I had to fire up 3ds Max and whip up some lightkeepers houses and sheds. Realizing that this is freeware scenery, I was wondering at what point a developer would choose to release a project. Starting was no problem, knowing when to quit is! Any feedback you can offer me would be most welcomed.

Regards, Mike Mann

Aviator32
    I love the sound of those lighthouses! I say release it NOW and then just keep working on adding new bits and do weekly or monthly updates

Blog Entries
    If you feel you have a mostly complete release with addons that come later it can be released. Orbx and others have done the same as either service packs or upgrades.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by mmann View Post
    Realizing that this is freeware scenery, I was wondering at what point a developer would choose to release a project.
    Whenever you feel like it.

You did this primarily for yourself, throwing your creation out to the public is only secondary.

I have been working on a similiar project which covers Central America for about 8 months. I keep returning to it about every two weeks and add something more. I realize I could go on with this forever, there are so many things you can "add" to a scenery. So last week while working on it I decide to give it a "Birthday date"...I plugged it in may nearby cork board and that´s that.....that day is the End of it. :toilet:

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    When it's no longer fun to do. That's when I say " enough" and release it.
    MickeyD

It is over when ...........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIVfbylUU-M
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

When you realise you'd much prefer to be flying than modelling.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony31 View Post
    When you realise you'd much prefer to be flying than modelling.
    But my problem mainly stems from the fact that I much prefer modeling to flying!

Regards, Mike Mann

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Whenever you have accomplished what you set out to do is when I would say it is done. You must of started it with a certain end goal in mind of either recreating certain spots perfectly (or maybe even the big goal of the whole area perfectly).. If you keep thinking of stuff to add I would say go for it, but I think at some point the fun factor goes away and you want to get back to flying again. I know I do.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

But my problem mainly stems from the fact that I much prefer modeling to flying!

Regards, Mike Mann
    Well in that case, don't stop until you've done the whole world

Honestly, you could just keep adding detail upon detail. Although, if your framerates start to drop then you've probably gone too far.

I often find myself spending a couple of hours on a tiny detail and then asking myself the question "Who the hell is going to even notice this?"

Quote Originally Posted by anthony31 View Post
    I often find myself spending a couple of hours on a tiny detail and then asking myself the question "Who the hell is going to even notice this?"
    But YOU noticed, just like I noticed plenty wrong with Orbx's version of Courtenay Airpark (CAH3). I was just going to add in Courtenay Airpark Water Aerodrome (CBG9) which lies adjacent to the CAH3, but when I went to add the float plane ramp I noticed that for whatever reason Orbx changed CAH3's elevation to a figure that was more inaccurate than the stock FSX elevation! They placed the helipads in the wrong location, as well as missed the lagoon that is located between the runway and the river etc, etc, etc. So what should have been a quick and easy addition, turned into a major remodel.

Regards, Mike Mann

What ever you decide please let us know here when you do so we can partake of your efforts. Thanks in advance
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by dharris View Post
    What ever you decide please let us know here when you do so we can partake of your efforts. Thanks in advance
    I will most certainly let everyone at Sim-Outhouse know when the scenery is released. I still don't know when that might be though!!

Regards, Mike Mann

Regards, Mike Mann
    Same here, Mike. I prefer the modeling, scenery making and aircraft repainting more than the actual flying.

Don

Flying was enjoyable when I first started using Flight Simulator, because of the challenge of a carrier landing or flying a helicopter. Once that was accomplished I found I needed other challenges, and that is where the modeling, repainting, airport construction and AI programing came to the rescue.

Regards, Mike Mann

Members who have read this thread: 0