(Piglet's) Shinden in alternative history film, "The Sky Crawlers" (2008)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Piglet's) Shinden in alternative history film, "The Sky Crawlers" (2008)

(Piglet's) Shinden in alternative history film, "The Sky Crawlers" (2008)

I watched this yesterday. Lionheart and MirageIII2008, you'll like this! Here are the main combat scenes. Note: if your network can handle HD streaming, click on the YouTube graphic below and "Watch on YouTube"; then bump the resolution up to 720p.

[YOUTUBE]yRSRzJATMl0&[/YOUTUBE]

In real life, and in most alternative histories, the next step after prop fighters was jets. Here, it's counter-rotating props.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Blog Entries
    WOW!
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    That film is BIZZARRO!!!!!! lol...

Great battle sequences, but the story line makes the hair on the back of my neck straighten out...

Love the sounds in that movie as well. You can hear the whirring of the super chargers in that high altitude battle. Those poor kids in the 'alternate reality' Shindens had no chance. That chrome thing just ate them alive....

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Amazing.........! :isadizzy:

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    That film is BIZZARRO!!!!!! lol...

Great battle sequences, but the story line makes the hair on the back of my neck straighten out...

Love the sounds in that movie as well. You can hear the whirring of the super chargers in that high altitude battle. Those poor kids in the 'alternate reality' Shindens had no chance. That chrome thing just ate them alive....

Bill
    The "Chrome" plane looks like their version of the Ki-87, IIRC. I'm trying to remember which Japanese plane looked like the Frank but had the large turbo-supercharger in the side of the fuselage.

I like the twin pusher fighters that look like they're based off of some the Supermarine design studies for a twin engined fighter during WW2.

Oh, and yes, I did think this was an excellent Anime'. In fact, I don't recall if it was Lionheart or Piglet that was working on the flying vehicle flown by those young kids that has the A2A battles on those dirigible battleships. I have the first episode, but haven't had time to watch it. I can't recall the name of that series either, lol.

There's a game based on this for Nintendo Wii, called "The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces" where you get to fly these bad boys.

Don't know if it's any good though.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xxEhFSokqFw?fs=1&amp;hl=fi_FI"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xxEhFSokqFw?fs=1&amp;hl=fi_FI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Oh, and yes, I did think this was an excellent Anime'. In fact, I don't recall if it was Lionheart or Piglet that was working on the flying vehicle flown by those young kids that has the A2A battles on those dirigible battleships. I have the first episode, but haven't had time to watch it. I can't recall the name of that series either, lol.
    I believe those were the vanships (a.k.a. flying eggbeaters) from Last Exile:

David Wilson-Okamura

The chrome thing looked a bit like a Wyvern with the original R-R Eagle piston engine, at least in terms of wing plane form, tail shape, dihedral and the prop spinner. Certainly awesome!

Videre Vincere Est
    Wow, great animations.

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Quote Originally Posted by dswo View Post
    I believe those were the vanships (a.k.a. flying eggbeaters) from Last Exile:
    You are correct. Those are so cool looking. It's sort of "alternate world" vintage, and I want one to explore the world in FSX.

I want one to explore the world in FSX.
    Me too. Lionheart did some work on this a few years ago: see http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post442495 and http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ll=1#post19465 and http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post159138.
    David Wilson-Okamura

I enjoyed Skycrawlers too. Those twin engined heavy fighters that fought along side the Shinden replicas were facinating Pretty deep story too.
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    .......not to mention those giant flying wings with folding bottom rudders and ball turrets.

That was a spectacular scene in the bombing formation.

Yep, got the basics of the Vanship done and it hasnt been touched since. I want to finish that badly but want some wild gauges in it with that Cryllic old Russian letter font. And some Animae style pilots...

:d
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Vanship look cool indeed
    So far, the coolest-looking Sci-Fi planes in my FSX hangar are the StarWars aircrafts made by Piglet. The Naboo N1 especially, has a beautifull 3D model and virtual cockpit, I love it so much, it's a fantastic piece of elegance, style, pure lines... what a design!

You are correct. Those are so cool looking. It's sort of "alternate world" vintage, and I want one to explore the world in FSX.
    I think the genre for this type of technology is called 'steam punk' basically Edwardian or Victorian technology ramped up with a lot of sci fi and bits that dont actually do anything and some physics defying equipment . Though Skycrawlers is from the Anime vein and thus has its own terchnology and vein of technology, but both are interlinked at the root level.

Cspt Nemos submarine and car from the film 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' and the game Crimson Skies also follow a similar vein, all very exciting and exotic and an area I try to steer clear of as I know I'd become a disciple far too easily and walk away from other more pressing chores LOL.

An excellent example of air wizardry can be seen here http://www.isotx.com/uploads/Ome_Vin...9-1200x745.jpg

Some of this stuff in FSx would be awsome, quite how you make those air battle ships and air carriers work from a FDe perspective I don't really know, much like a dirigable really, might have to look into this as a flight of fancy model to keep me sane from the real daily grind.
    Best

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    An excellent example of air wizardry can be seen here http://www.isotx.com/uploads/Ome_Vin...9-1200x745.jpg
    Beautifull !! Thanks for that picture :ernae:
    It also reminds me of those giant army ships in the famous anime movie from Mr. Miyazaki, "Castle in the Sky" (Laputa)

Some of this stuff in FSx would be awsome, quite how you make those air battle ships and air carriers work from a FDe perspective I don't really know, much like a dirigable really, might have to look into this as a flight of fancy model to keep me sane from the real daily grind.
    Best

Michael
    Well, you would just need to transform them into slow sea planes, really.
    Ever tried replacing the model of a default AI plane with the one of the default Carrier ?
    I did that in FSX: I replaced the dash 7 model by the Acceleration carrier model.
    The result is that you can see flying carriers all around the world. And yes, you CAN land on them, the cables work just fine. The catapult does not, though...

EDIT: here is how it looked. That time, I forgot to transfer the textures of the Carrier, my mistake. That's why it's black.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    The chrome thing looked a bit like a Wyvern with the original R-R Eagle piston engine, at least in terms of wing plane form, tail shape, dihedral and the prop spinner. Certainly awesome!
    According to the film the enemy fighter is a Skyly J5
    From the game website you can find a very good pic of an earlier Skyly D model.

David,
    Thanks for posting that Eggbeater cutaway. "Last Exile" is a very cool series even though I'm not a huge Anime fan (I like "old school" anime, i.e. Robotech and Starblazers).

I watched "Last Exile" last year in Iraq. The steam-punk Battleships are awesome.

Blog Entries
    There's a few good films centered around flying you might like to see.. Area 88 is excellent for its A-7s, F-5s. F-4s, etc; Sky Crawlers for the japanese planes ( though the background premise is becoming chillingly more like reality all the time ), and well, anything Miyazaki. I havent seen Last Exile yet. Perhaps i'll take some time and watch it today..

What was that ?
    It took me some time to catch up with the "story" but it is pretty well made.
    I especially liked the sounds in the movie.
    Amazing movie indeed.
    thanks David.

This is what the Skyly J5 reminds me of, the Ki-87 if you added a contra rotating propeller..

Ki-87 Image 1

Ki-87 Image 2

Ki-87 Image 3

Ki-87 3 View

I also found this design for Paul Maiwurm's Cyclonic Rocket of 1925. It looks like a predecessor to the Vanship crossed with a Moller design (Image attached).
    Attachment 17274

Just wanted to say if anyone wants to model the any of the Sky Crawler aircraft id be more than willing to normal map/HD paint them,im sure i could talk a few more Ozx painters into helpping out also

btw I've had the model kit of the F2B Sanka Mk.B for over a year now (havent had chance to start it yet),so if the instruction/paint key could be of use it modeling please just ask and i'll get them scanned up

a few detail on the kit/instructions can be found here

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/...owtopic=165690

I also have a few other skycrawlers art book blueprints of various aircraft from the movie

Attachment 17277

Hope someone is crazy enought to take on one of these bad boys id love to trhow one around in FSX

Cheers
    Gizmo

Could you do it for CFS 3?
    It strikes me that with the aircraft available it wouldn`t be too hard to create a decent dynamic campaign for this game.
    You wouldn`t even have to change the basic map.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Just wanted to say if anyone wants to model the any of the Sky Crawler aircraft id be more than willing to normal map/HD paint them,im sure i could talk a few more Ozx painters into helpping out also

btw I've had the model kit of the F2B Sanka Mk.B for over a year now (havent had chance to start it yet),so if the instruction/paint key could be of use it modeling please just ask and i'll get them scanned up

a few detail on the kit/instructions can be found here

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/...owtopic=165690

I also have a few other skycrawlers art book blueprints of various aircraft from the movie

Attachment 17277

Hope someone is crazy enought to take on one of these bad boys id love to trhow one around in FSX

Cheers
    Gizmo
    Hey Gizmo, where did you get the blueprints? I would love to get those.

Hey Gizmo, where did you get the blueprints? I would love to get those.

I found them online at some anime wallpaper site i think they where some kind of promo thing from the films website heres the links to the 4 they have up

http://jokera.mrs3.tw/pg/displayimag...155&fullsize=1
    http://jokera.mrs3.tw/pg/displayimag...154&fullsize=1
    http://jokera.mrs3.tw/pg/displayimag...153&fullsize=1
    http://jokera.mrs3.tw/pg/displayimag...152&fullsize=1

there is a very very nice Concept Art book but i havent found anywhere thats importing it to the UK at anything less than silly money seems its hard to find now as it was a limited run

heres a few pics and some info from the book

http://halcyonrealms.com/animation/t...-sky-crawlers/

With that book as ref a good modeling and paint team could kick up something thats 99.9% as close to the CGI in the orginal flim i bet

Laters
    Gizmo