RANTS, Crashes and (Perhaps) Fixes - USB Port Check

Thread: RANTS, Crashes and (Perhaps) Fixes - USB Port Check

RANTS, Crashes and (Perhaps) Fixes - USB Port Check

KD's post on RANTS got me to work on why I was experiencing some crashes on my Win7 64 bit OS, AMD 955BE powered, ATI graphics box.

The first thing I did was follow the suggestions to delete "UIAutoMationCore.dll" (see, e.g., http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...9-fbd4b3232a54). That had an excellent impact and worked until I used a USB port to plug in a wireless mouse from Logitech.

At the time, I could not believe that a wireless mouse could be my problem, so I updated to the ATI 10.8 drivers (I have a 4890 card in the PC) after using Guru3d driver removal tool in "Safe" mode. After updating, the graphics look really good, but I still had a crashing problem.

So I bite the bullet and remove the wireless mouse fob from the USB port. BINGO, no more crashes....at least for the 10 or 15 minutes of my last flight of the evening.

I have now narrowed the problem down to one of two things - a wireless mouse or something to do with USB ports. (I do not yet have an opinion about whether this issue is software or hardware (as in a cheaply made USB port that causes a short or something similar with your program).) I will be trying a wired mouse today or tomorrow.

Bottom line - If you are having crashes you might want to check your USB ports.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    KD's post on RANTS got me to work on why I was experiencing some crashes on my Win7 64 bit OS, AMD 955BE powered, ATI graphics box.

The first thing I did was follow the suggestions to delete "UIAutoMationCore.dll" (see, e.g., http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...9-fbd4b3232a54). That had an excellent impact and worked until I used a USB port to plug in a wireless mouse from Logitech.

At the time, I could not believe that a wireless mouse could be my problem, so I updated to the ATI 10.8 drivers (I have a 4890 card in the PC) after using Guru3d driver removal tool in "Safe" mode. After updating, the graphics look really good, but I still had a crashing problem.

So I bite the bullet and remove the wireless mouse fob from the USB port. BINGO, no more crashes....at least for the 10 or 15 minutes of my last flight of the evening.

I have now narrowed the problem down to one of two things - a wireless mouse or something to do with USB ports. (I do not yet have an opinion about whether this issue is software or hardware (as in a cheaply made USB port that causes a short or something similar with your program).) I will be trying a wired mouse today or tomorrow.

Bottom line - If you are having crashes you might want to check your USB ports.

Good luck,Jay!:ernae:
    Did you check the event viewer...it'll give you the faulting dll/application and may help you track the problem down.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry