My first ever attempt at polished aluminum.....Help!!!

Thread: My first ever attempt at polished aluminum.....Help!!!

My first ever attempt at polished aluminum.....Help!!!

Hi Folks,

FSX repainting has been a new experience. The painting isn't the problem, but more-so getting that polished appeal so as to not be overkill.

Here's the look I'm trying to accomplish. It has a hazed look, but reflective.
    Attachment 16578

That's odd. I only attached four photos. When you click on it it says eight..lol.

Here's my first attempt.

The "Pitts" -N- "Glitz" -N- "Prop" are white. All blinding shine is black.
    ...Obviously the polished areas need to be toned down. I was thinking 85%.

I'm hoping the painter Guru's could share a pointer or two.
    Attachment 16579Attachment 16580Attachment 16583

To get a convincing polished metal look you need to add 'noise' to the bare metal areas. It tends to work best in the main texture alpha layer and in the spec map if one is available for that aircraft. You only need to apply a small amount as too much looks awful.

If you have the A2A P-51D for FSX take a look at how that is done as that is where I learned to get the effect right on my repaints. If you don't have the aircraft then at least get the paintkit for it (it's in Photoshop format) and look at the textures there (especially the alpha channels on both the main texture and the spec map).

As to the shine part black is way too much (makes it look like it is glass coated) and I rarely use anything more than about 50% grey for bare metal and 5-10 for painted areas. It comes down to trial and error in the end and what looks good to you.
    Larry

Thanks for the pointers Tako,

I would have a hard time getting that paintkit as I don't have the model. It surprises me that it would be available freely. I feel your referring to looking at a repaint instead. Good idea on that aspect for getting shade spectrum dialed in quicker.

A noise layer did cross my mind.

Meanwhile, I have been experimenting. I tried two different things in the same alpha after I brought down the shine. I also learned that precision is the key to perfection.

Attachment 16591Attachment 16592

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    I would have a hard time getting that paintkit as I don't have the model. It surprises me that it would be available freely. I feel your referring to looking at a repaint instead.
    The paintkit is available from A2A here....

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/...9824&view=next

..... A2A actively encourage repainters to repaint their aircraft as it keeps interest in the model high and increases sales if a lot of repaints are available for a model.
    Larry

Ahh..ok. Thanks! I'll get it so I can do some snooping!

I'm getting things (the look) closer. Messing with polish is a tedious process. I can see where hours and hours can easily be invested..to get the right appeal :isadizzy:

Attachment 16638Attachment 16641

Members who have read this thread: 0