Best free Anti-Virus software for FSX?

Thread: Best free Anti-Virus software for FSX?

Blog Entries

Best free Anti-Virus software for FSX?

Hi,
    I’m just in the process of doing a complete re-format and reinstall of Windows 7 and FSX and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to what is the best free anti-virus software to use with FSX?
    I know NickN recommends NOD32 in his guide but it is rather expensive, and as the computer rarely does online, only to register products and download real world weather via Active Sky I did wonder if that product might be a little over the top for my needs.
    I have previously used Avast or AVG on my FSX computer, which are very good, but is thee anything available which is less intrusive for FSX?
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Regards,
    Ian.

Charter Member 2015
    One of the best ones that I've used is Microsoft Security Essentials
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Not free, but PCTools Spyware Doctor is very good. No effect on performance.

I use Anti Vir, and I loves it. Free as well :ernae:

In any case, the antivirus software should be deactivated while flying FSX.
    You're not downloading anything while you fly, so you don't need an antivirus to check your files and slow down your hardrive.

What needs to be constantly ACTIVE is the firewall, to prevent any unauthorised access to your computer while you're in the sim.

I use Avast. It's free and easy to use. I deactivate it just before lauching FSX. I reactivate it when I exit the sim. The last time my computer had a virus was... something like 5 years ago...

I'm with kilo delta on Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'm with others on Microsoft Security Essentials . Free and no problems yet .

Another happy Avast! user here. Used it for years and no issues.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    In any case, the antivirus software should be deactivated while flying FSX.
    You're not downloading anything while you fly, so you don't need an antivirus to check your files and slow down your hardrive.
    It should not IMO !You download FS weather files, you may've other programs running in the background or you may want to check something on the web while flying. And more important you may (will for sure, one day or another) forget to reactivate it after the FS session. You don't gain much and if infected it's hello hellville.The hardrive is not the main factor of fluidity of a sim except if you've an antique hardisk motorized by hamsters !

I've been using AVG for quite sometimes and shifting to MSE for the new rigs. After all who knows better than MS about all the holes and cracks in the fabrics .

Antivirus should never be deactivated if your computer/LAN is connected to the internet. Period.

my 2 (euro) cents
    Dominique
    Asus P4C800/3.0 Ghz @ 3.16-2 Gb PC3500 DDR-MSI 7800GS-Dell 19" LCD-CH USB pedals, yoke and HOTAS.
    Hab Mut, hatten wir durch.

Quote Originally Posted by dominique View Post
    It should not IMO !You download FS weather files, you may've other programs running in the background or you may want to check something on the web while flying. And more important you may (will for sure, one day or another) forget to reactivate it after the FS session. You don't gain much and if infected it's hello hellville.The hardrive is not the main factor of fluidity of a sim except if you've an antique hardisk motorized by hamsters !

I've using AVG for quite sometimes and shifting to MSE for the new rigs. After all who knows better than MS about all the holes and cracks in the fabrics .

Antivirus should never be deactivated if your computer/LAN is connected to the internet. Period.

my 2 (euro) cents
    Even if it isnt connected to the web! Malware/viruses etc attach themselves to all manner of files. It will only take one thing to attach to an .exe within fsx and then lay dormant until you run the .exe and bam! you just got nailed.

Leaving it on is the best you can do. NOD i believe is recommended because its overhead is so small, its developed to be resource/game friendly. However there are many freeware/payware alternatives that are quite good.

Avast and Adaware. No problems in 4 years of use. I never disable them. In FSX I still get 25-30 FPS with dense autogen and clouds as long as I stay away from Seattle. Since I fly bush and ridge running, no probs.
    System AMD Athlon Duo 5600 4MB DDR800 1MB ATI 4670.

Regards
    Paul

Microsoft Security Essential it's my choice and my pc feels good!

Blog Entries
    Microsoft Security Essentials has now become the best anti-everything freeware now. AVG and Avast also rate well.
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by dominique View Post

I've using AVG for quite sometimes and shifting to MSE for the new rigs. After all who knows better than MS about all the holes and cracks in the fabrics .

my 2 (euro) cents

So while you're flying, you keep background programs that will download files without telling you ? Do you really think this is normal ? :/
    It's up to you to configure your computer properly. I configured my computer so that there are a very minimum amount of programs running in the background while I fly, and none of those programs will download anything until I tell them to do so.

FSX will download the weather from Jeppesen and there are no viruses there.
    A virus will not magically enter in your computer, you'll have to download something for that, and if you download a file your antivirus will scan it.
    And I do not surf while the sim runs.

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    One of the best ones that I've used is Microsoft Security Essentials
    Me too .... and, for the time being, I'm quite happy with it :salute:
    Italo

My vote goes to Avast also. Great program. Has saved my butt on more than one occasion.

NC

I just clicked on that link to Microsoft Security Essentials and it tells me it's not available in my country or region !!
    Must not be in the U. S. yet!
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Microsoft Security Essentials ever since the new PC and Windows 7 arrived last November. AVG and AdAware on my old XP machine, but happy with WSE on the new one.