Some advice required

Thread: Some advice required

Some advice required

I have built up a decent collection of Olympus lenses which I use with an E510, purchased because it was compact and light - hate the idea of the bulk of an EOS or suchlike. Also got a fairly sophisticated Olympus dedicated flash so I am kind of hooked into that brand !

I'm about to get a fairly serious lens (the ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD ) brought over from the States - my question is - do I need to upgrade the body to get the best out of it ? An E-3 body will cost about $1300 here, which seems a lot, and I wonder whether this is going to be worth it.

Which is where you guys come in. Thoughts please.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I think (Not an Olympus user) that you will definitely see an improvement in image quality with your new lens on your old body so I would try that first. Looking at the specs the difference in megapixel is not that big, the E-3 does shoot (faster 5 vs. 3 fps) has higher iso range (1600 vs. 3200) and the build quality is probably a lot better with it's weather sealed magnesium body. If that's worth the upgrade price I can't decide for you obviously. (But I never regretted upgrading from a Canon 400D to the 7D!)

A good review and comparison with the E-510 here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse3/

As for bulk; the E-3 is about the same size and weight as my Canon 7D, while the E-510 looks about the same size as the Canon 4xx/5xx series in size. So you will notice the extra weight and volume in your hands, especially with a big tele lens (A total of 1,800 gram).
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Ferry, thank you. That's exactly the kind of info I needed - didn't realise there was a comparison like that around.

My real concern was that I wouldn't be getting the best out of the new lens' quick autofocussing, and that may be true up to a point.

So it's a trade-off between that and the other technical superiorities v the vast bulk and, most of all, the vast expense ! Think we'll stick with the 510 for now and see how it goes. Many thanks again.

I see that lens isn't that heavy, so I don't know. From my own experience I'd say a heavier lens (this one isn't light but not really heavy either - in the league of the Sony CZ 24-70 f/2.8 I thought about a while ago as far as weight is concerned apparently) works better with a heavier body. It's one of my main reasons to upgrade to a future A7XX with grip, simply because of the better balance with a heavy (1.500 kilogram/3.3 lbs) lens.
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!
    Aeropedia.be photographer
    Flightlevel.be photographer, editor and forum administrator
    So drink to the Black Cat PBY,
    Damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
    BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft,
    Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    My real concern was that I wouldn't be getting the best out of the new lens' quick autofocussing, and that may be true up to a point.
    I guess that also depends on what you are shooting; for zoo trips, landscapes or architecture AF speed or fps is not that important; when you do action (Sports, cars, aircraft) a lot it becomes more important.

Joris: I'm using a monopod with two plates, one for the zoom lens and one for the body for use with a short lens. When using the tele zoom the monopod is connencted about midway of the lens and body combo so it is pretty well balanced.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Sorry for the off-topic, but I feel this may be a better investment . I consider getting one myself, but it obviously works better when using a prime (say, a 300/2.8 or so) as you can't zoom and hold it at the same time.

http://bushhawk-europe.com/uk/catalogue_1
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

Not something I want to go pointing around on a military base, Joris!

Hmm...I'd do it. At least in Western Europe (not in Greece...I'd rather not end up in a Greek prison!). It ought to be very handy when panning or tracking an aircraft.

/OT

My Flickr photostream.

Lightbulb

Lefty,
    Have a lookee at the below URL to see how all Olympus bodies match up....
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng...ngs/Sheet-view

Very interesting, thanks again, Panther old boy. I think, bearing in mind the amount of photography I do, and taking cost and bulk into consideration, I'll stick to what I have - for the moment !

(Had a look at the Nikon stats on that site too - out of sight...woops, there are Canon men reading this !)

Well don't forget, I'm also an Olympus owner too!

Members who have read this thread: 0