Thread: Fueling the discussion...

Name of the gauge: TANKSC.GAU
    Internal name: tanksc
    Organization: Dome Fliteware
    Version: 1.0.0
    Copyright: none (Chuck Dome presumably)

Size at 1/1 ratio; 150 width, 100 height

Attachment 18307

Visual: 9 bitmaps, bitmap #1 is the background, 4 bitmaps representing the moving knob-style button, 4 invisible bitmaps for for clickable zones, the background bitmap has the following inscriptions according to clock positions; 8 O'clock = OFF, 10 O'clock = LEFT, 2 O'clock = RIGHT, and 4 O'clock = BOTH. In the 12 O'clock position, we can read FUEL TANK. Inscriptions are all in white (R=247, G=247, B=247) and a one pixel border line of the same color runs around the rectangle. The background color is blue-gray (R=99 ,G=123 , B=156). The four corners have a one pixel dot of black (R=0, G=0, B=0).

Audio: none

Functioning: The button is on the BOTH position and, if moved before start-up, will return automatically on that position upon start. Placing the mouse cursor over one of the inscriptions and left-clicking will "turn" the button to that selection. The FUEL TANK inscription has no effect. You don't have to click repeatedly to get to a selection.

Effect: On BOTH position, all tanks (with the exception of wing tips tanks) are emptying according to the "no gauge" pattern already described in previous posts. In OFF position, engines starve and no fuel is spend.

On LEFT, left auxiliary tank, if with any fuel in it, is emptied. Once empty, left main tank is being emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On RIGHT, right auxiliary tank, if with any fuel in it, is emptied. Once empty, right main tank is being emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

CONCLUSION

The gauge works, but only to some extent. The LEFT and RIGHT positions always empty the auxiliary tank first. They're is no provision for central tanks but, if you switch to BOTH, they will empty in the "no gauge" order.

The gauge shape may be modifiable, as the black corner dots suggests. The clickable areas could probably be modified with an hex-editor, but this is a job for experts only.
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Hi Hubbabubba,

Seems to me I need to re-think the layout of tanks on the SBD-3 Dauntless yet again. The real aircraft has the equivalent of a Aux and Main tank in each wing. If a selector with only Main tanks will still empty the Aux tanks, then that will work just fine for my plane. I prefer to stick with stock gauges if possible.

It also sounds like this is a way to set up a standpipe reserve if you re-label the tanks so that the Aux is called "Main", and Main is called "Reserve".

- Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Hi Hubbabubba,

Seems to me I need to re-think the layout of tanks on the SBD-3 Dauntless yet again. The real aircraft has the equivalent of a Aux and Main tank in each wing. If a selector with only Main tanks will still empty the Aux tanks, then that will work just fine for my plane. I prefer to stick with stock gauges if possible.

It also sounds like this is a way to set up a standpipe reserve if you re-label the tanks so that the Aux is called "Main", and Main is called "Reserve".

- Ivan.
    Hello Ivan,

I haven't finished testing fuel switch gauges but, like you, I'm inclined to rename tanks and position them according to our own requirements rather than to stick to a very arbitrary labeling in AIR files. Thinking "out of the box" is how I see things; a "left tank" doesn't have to be on the left just because it was labeled that way. Functionality should have precedent over names.

So far, I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that central position only works with center 1 tank but, since FS98 style tanks only had one center tank available, I understand why. The wing tips tanks are beyond disappointment. "Disgust" would be more appropriate. What a waste!

Name of the gauge: WJR_CD_R4D.Tanksb.gau
    Internal name: tanksb
    Organization: Dome Fliteware
    Version: 1.0.0
    Copyright: none (Chuck Dome presumably)

Size at 1/1 ratio; 150 width, 100 height

Attachment 18422

This is a mod of TANKSB.GAU. It is interesting in the sense that it confirms my suspicions; background bitmap can be modified in shape with true black #1 color on the palette (R=0, G=0, B=0).

Functuionalities are the same as the original.

Hello Hubbabubba,

Have you figured out how to program a gauge yet? There are a few that I would like to create that I don't believe have equivalents today.

- Ivan.

Hello Hubbabubba,

Have you figured out how to program a gauge yet? There are a few that I would like to create that I don't believe have equivalents today.

- Ivan.
    Hi Ivan,

Nope; I can do pretty much everything in an aircraft but the gauges. I can change textures, in some cases I can change fonts, in a very few gauges, I can hex-edit them and I can light them, thanks to smilo for that.

I would have to learn C programming and, quite frankly, I'm getting old to learn new tricks.

I am a pretty experienced C programmer, but don't know the process of creating gauges. Hmmmm....

What I would like to do would be some specific fuel gauges, multi engine gauges and some digital trim gauges.

BTW, have you figured out what the rest of the fuel tank fields do? Warning level, residual fuel level, etc.?
    - Ivan.

FS98 - FS98 Misc. Creating FS98 Gauges Using CBuilder 3.x
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: cbfssdk1.zip Size: 281,823 Date: 07-31-1998 Downloads: 1,664
    Creating FS98 Gauges Using CBuilder 3.x. Description and step by step example by Jay Crawford.
    at FlightSim

This should be a good "primer", although I wouldn't know myself...

I just printed the instructions. Next step is to acquire the compiler that is described. I do have a compiler installed on even my work machine and at home, but I don't know that Gnu C is compatible.

Thanks, I think.....
    :isadizzy:

- Ivan.

Hi Hubbabubba,

I finished reading the instructions. They don't really say much except how to use a specific compiler or IDE instead of the standard MSVC compiler. Not really all that much content beyond that. Since I don't have the specific compiler mentioned, I don't know that I am any further ahead. Also, this is C++. I program in plain old C though I will learn C++ at some point.

On a different note, I was checking out the stock Hurricane Mk.I this morning. It has a fuel selector for Left, Right, Center and a dummy marking for Reserve. From the Hurricane Mk.II manual, the fuel selector should be able to draw equally from the two main tanks in the wings or use the fuselage tank. This one can't.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan

C, C+ and C++, this is all Greek to me!

I have downloaded and installed a free C compiler, which is also doing C++, and "do it yourself" tutorials on the subject but, to do that, I would have to take a long pause from CFS1. In the past, I learned Visual Basic all by myself, and forgot almost everything by now, so it should be feasible. Time will tell...

After having done all fuel switches I can find, I will do CFS1 stock switches. Other matters kept me occupied recently.

Unless tailored-made, I can't see the day when all fuel systems will be accurately depicted for each aircraft. So many of them with so many arrangements are possible that it would take a special library just to sort them out.

Name of the gauge: gbyjfuel_sw_aux.gau
    Commentary:MSVC++ version Cessna 337 Fuel Switch - (Main/Center)
    Internal name: gbyjFuel_sw_Cntr
    Organization: GaugesByJay
    Version: 2, 0, 0, 1
    Copyright: ©1998,1999 Jay Crawford All Rights Reserved

Size at 1/1 ratio; 114 width, 114 height

Attachment 19624

Visual: 9 bitmaps, bitmap #1 and #2 are backgrounds, as it appears that the same gauge was used to create two fuel switches. 7 bitmaps represent the moving key-style button positions. Inscriptions are as follows; 8 O'clock = OFF, 10 O'clock = AUX LEFT, 11 O'clock = MAIN LEFT, 12 O'clock = ALL, 1 O'Clock = MAIN RIGHT, 2 O'Clock = AUX RIGHT, 3 to 4 O'clock = FUEL TANK SELECT. Inscriptions are all in white-grey from R=250, G=250, B=250 to R=66, G=66, B=66. The background color is mainly black of different RGB (R=9 ,G=8 , B=8 to R=1, G=16, B=0) with a greyish border of RGB going from reddish to brownish. The outer square appears to be pure black (R=0, G=0, B=0) with screw heads at the four corners. The pure black is transparent.

Functioning: The button is on the ALL position and, if moved before start-up, will return automatically on that position upon start. You must click repeatedly right or left to move the key on a selection. So, if you are on AUX LEFT and want to switch to AUX RIGHT, you will have to go through MAIN LEFT - ALL - MAIN RIGHT before getting to it. The FUEL TANK SELECT inscription has no effect.

Effect: On ALL position, all tanks (with the exception of wing tips tanks) are emptying according to the "no gauge" pattern already described in previous posts. In OFF position, engines starve and no fuel is spend.

On AUX LEFT, left auxiliary tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On AUX RIGHT, right auxiliary tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On MAIN LEFT, left auxiliary tank is emptied. Once empty, main left tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On MAIN RIGHT, right auxiliary tank is emptied. Once empty, main right tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

CONCLUSIONS

The gauge works, but only to some extent. It works exactly the same way as TANKSB.GAU as emptying order is concerned, only the clicking method differs.

The gauge shape is modifiable, as the "screws" are surrounded by black pixels (#1 R=0, G=0, B=0) that are invisible on the panel.

Name of the gauge: gbyjFuel_sw_Cntr.gau
    Commentary:MSVC++ version Cessna 337 Fuel Switch - (Main/Center)
    Internal name: gbyjFuel_sw_Cntr
    Organization: GaugesByJay
    Version: 2, 0, 0, 1
    Copyright: ©1998,1999 Jay Crawford All Rights Reserved

Size at 1/1 ratio; 114 width, 114 height

Attachment 19625

Visual: 9 bitmaps, bitmap #1 and #2 are backgrounds, as it appears that the same gauge was used to create two fuel switches. 7 bitmaps represent the moving key-style button positions. Inscriptions are as follows; 7 O'clock = OFF, 10 O'clock = LEFT, 12 O'clock = CENTER, 2 O'Clock = RIGHT, 5 O'Clock = ALL. FUEL TANK SELECT is written on top. Inscriptions are all in white-grey from R=250, G=250, B=250 to R=66, G=66, B=66. The background color is mainly black of different RGB (R=9 ,G=8 , B=8 to R=1, G=16, B=0) with a greyish border of RGB going from reddish to brownish. The outer square appears to be pure black (R=0, G=0, B=0) with screw heads at the four corners. The pure black is transparent.

Functioning: The button is on the ALL position and, if moved before start-up, will return automatically on that position upon start. You must click repeatedly right or left to move the key on a selection. So, if you are on LEFT and want to switch to RIGHT, you will have to go through CENTER - RIGHT before getting to it. The FUEL TANK SELECT inscription has no effect.

Effect: On ALL position, all tanks (with the exception of wing tips tanks) are emptying according to the "no gauge" pattern already described in previous posts. In OFF position, engines starve and no fuel is spend.

On LEFT, left auxiliary tank is emptied. Once empty, main left tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On RIGHT, right auxiliary tank is emptied. Once empty, main right tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On CENTER, center #1 is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

CONCLUSIONS

The gauge works, but only to some extent. It works as if it was a mix of TANKS.GAU for #1 center emptying and TANKSC.GAU for the right and left tanks, as far as emptying order is concerned. Only the clicking method differs.

The gauge shape is modifiable, as the "screws" are surrounded by black pixels (#1 R=0, G=0, B=0) that are invisible on the panel.

Name of the gauge: rww2-tank-sw.gau
    Internal name: BCK.F3M_Fuel_Selector.gau
    Organization: unknown, probably BCK
    Version: unknown
    Copyright: unknown

Size at 1/1 ratio; 140 width, 140 height

Attachment 20089

Visual: 6 bitmaps, bitmap #1 is the background. Bitmaps #2 to #6 are representing a red pointer knob in different positions. Only ON (8 O'clock) and OFF (4 O'clock) positions are marked. At 6 O'clock position, it is written FUEL VALVE.

Functioning: The button is on the ON position and, if moved before start-up, will return automatically on that position upon start. You must click repeatedly right or left to move the knob on a selection. So, if you are on ON and want to switch to OFF, you will have to go through three positions before getting to it. The FUEL VALVE inscription has no effect.

Effect: On ON position, all tanks (with the exception of wing tips tanks) are emptying according to the "no gauge" pattern already described in previous posts. In OFF position, engines starve and no fuel is spend.

On 10 O'clock position, left auxiliary tank is emptied. Once empty, main left tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On 2 O'clock position, right auxiliary tank is emptied. Once empty, main right tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On 12 O'clock position, center #1 is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

CONCLUSION

The gauge works, but only to some extent. It works exactly like gbyjFuel_sw_Cntr.gau, excepting that OFF and ON (ALL) positions are inverted.

Hello Hubbabubba,

I believe I ran into something strange recently in flight testing: I had noticed that the test panel I use would seem to ignore fractions of a gallon in fuel tank capacity. I thought it was just a rounding issue. I just noticed that the Selector / Dump gauge in your test panel does the same. It reads to 0.1 gallon, but doesn't start except at even values in gallons. When tank capacities are 75 gallons or 300 gallons, a fraction doesn't make much of a difference, but when the total tank capacity is only 5.8 gallons, and fuel consumption is low, it DOES make a difference.

Have you run into the same thing?
    - Ivan.

Bonjour Ivan,

Yes and no.

When I made precise conversion of the Mosquito tanks, I noted the rounding-off. But I did not investigated further.

Any idea on how I could test this?

Hi Hubbabubba,

So I am not imagining things and you have seen it too.

To test: Make every tank on the plane under a gallon and see if it can run. That's what I would do.

- Ivan.

Hi Hubbabubba,

So I am not imagining things and you have seen it too.

To test: Make every tank on the plane under a gallon and see if it can run. That's what I would do.

- Ivan.
    Just tried it. I made all tanks, except tip tanks, to 0.9. Engines never started, telling me I was out of fuel! Jerry Beckwith's gauge only registered the presence of tip tanks. The fuel switch I'm testing now (more on that later) showed no fuel.

So this mean that all my precise calculations to convert imperial gallons into US gallons were done for nothing. This also means that capacity should be rounded to the closest full number of gallons if we don't want the AIR file to do it for us and round to the first integer.

A 1.9 gallons would equal one gallon in fact.

Yup....

Sounds like a pretty cool flight model. The only tanks on the aircraft are the tip tanks and they are not useable.

Now don't WE all feel stupid. I did the same thing with the last few flight models. The conversions were carried out to about 8 decimal places precision and just rounded to the tenth in the AIR file. The 5.8 gallon "Reserve" tank in my Fokker E.III Eindecker just became a 6.0 gallon tank!

Looks like I need to revisit the A6M Zeros, P-40, and just about everything else back to the Hellcat though I don't suppose it makes all that much difference when the tanks are large.

So much for precision.... Sheesh!
    - Ivan.

Yup....

Sounds like a pretty cool flight model. The only tanks on the aircraft are the tip tanks and they are not useable.

Now don't WE all feel stupid. I did the same thing with the last few flight models. The conversions were carried out to about 8 decimal places precision and just rounded to the tenth in the AIR file. The 5.8 gallon "Reserve" tank in my Fokker E.III Eindecker just became a 6.0 gallon tank!

Looks like I need to revisit the A6M Zeros, P-40, and just about everything else back to the Hellcat though I don't suppose it makes all that much difference when the tanks are large.

So much for precision.... Sheesh!
    - Ivan.
    Actually, your 5.8 gallons were most probably rounded at 5 gallons, not 6. The AIR files are rounding to the integer, disregarding any number after the decimal point!

The gauge I'm testing right now is also showing the remaining fuel in percentage, so it should have shown 100% on all tanks. It did not; all were at 0%. The tip tanks were the only one to show on Jerry's gauge because I left them at 1 gallon (they're not showing on the gauge under test).

In short, if you were to convert a 450 Imp gal to US gal, it would give 540.4277, rounded at 540 gal by the AIR file. But a 457 Imp gal would give 548.8344 US gal, rounded to 548 gal by the AIR file. In the latter case, better enter 549 ourselves. No?:mix-smi:

Regarding 5.8 gallons as the reserve tank on the Eindecker, what I had meant to say was that I just finished changing the AIR file so it now reads 6.0 gallons. That lost 0.8 gallon was what got me to looking to begin with. I also changed the places for the two tanks so that they act as main and reserve. The Eindecker panel isn't anywhere close to the actual thing. It already has too many instruments. I don't really want to add a fuel selector.

My P-40C loses 0.65, 0.25, and 0.35 gallons from each of three tanks. On THAT AIR file, I may just leave things as they are because those are all reasonable values for trapped or unuseable fuel. On a side note, I just finished taking the plane up for a test of terminal velocity. From 35,000 feet, I never went faster than about 550 mph TAS.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan

Just a bit of confusion ; isn't the first time and won't be the last!

Feeling stupid you say? Duh...:isadizzy:

Name of the gauge: TANK5S.GAU
    Internal name: none
    Organization: none
    Version: unknown
    Copyright: none, from Chuck Dome

Size at 1/1 ratio; 93 width, 140 height

Attachment 20716

Visual: 12 bitmaps, bitmap #1 is the background. Bitmaps #2 to #11 are representing vertical green slider indicators and their masks. Bitmap #12 represent the "button".

Functioning: The button is on the ALL position and, if moved before start-up, will return automatically on that position upon start. Position are, from left to right; OFF - A - L - C - R - A - ALL.

On L position, left auxiliary tank is emptied. Once empty, main left tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On R position, right auxiliary tank is emptied. Once empty, main right tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On A to the left position, left auxiliary is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off.

On A to the right position, right auxiliary is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off.

On C position, center #1 is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

CONCLUSION

I included this tank selector in my review for two reasons;

1- It is a very useful gauge in a test panel. Not only does it switches, but you have a general view of your fuel status in an instant. Too bad it does not cover all CFS1 tanks.

and;

2- Chuck Dome's commentary in an accompanying document entitled UNITANK.TXT are revealing;

You should be aware that FS98 aircraft obey certain rules regarding tank
    usage. If ALL tanks are selected, the two aux tanks and the center tank will
    all drain together until empty. At that point, FS98 automatically switches
    to the left and right main tanks, which then drain together. If there are no
    aux tanks, or if they are empty at startup, the left main, right main and
    center tanks will all drain together. If the center tank is selected, it
    will drain by itself until empty. There is no automatic switch when the
    center tank is empty. If either the left or right main tank is selected, its
    auxiliary tank will drain first. Like the center tank, the left and right
    main tanks do not trigger an automatic switch when empty, if chosen
    separately. Because of the way the aux tanks are connected to the main
    tanks, I'm not sure if it makes any difference to have separate switch
    settings for the aux tanks. I have, however, included them anyway.
    This confirms my own deductions. Next time, I will start reviewing CFS1 stock fuel switches gauges.

I hit a strange situation last night. I was test flying my P-47D-27 to check trim and after about 20 minutes or so noticed that the Aux fuel tank was down to about 75. THEN I noticed that the fuel selector was set to the MAIN tank.... I wonder what happened? The engine didn't cut when I switched tanks, so I believe it was working. This plane is using the stock P-47D panel.

I will be looking at it tonight when I get a chance and will be checking again with a different gauge.

- Ivan.

Name of the gauge: FW190a.gau
    Internal name: none
    Organization: Microsoft Corporation
    Version: 1.0.5020
    Copyright: © 1983-1998 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Size at 1/1 ratio; 20 width, 70 height at low resolution, 30 width, 105 height at high resolution.

Attachment 20910

Visual: 4 bitmaps for both resolutions, each complete backgrounds. Numbered 1 - 2 - 3 top to bottom.

Functioning: The "lever" is on the 1 position and, if moved before start-up, will return automatically on that position upon start. After each mouse click anywhere over the gauge, the "lever" goes to the next position in a loop following this sequence; 1 > 2 > 3 > 1. You can't click to go backward.

Effect: On initial 1 position, all tanks (with the exception of wing tips tanks) are emptying according to the "no gauge" pattern already described in previous posts.

On 2 position, center #2 tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On 3 position, center #3 tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

On subsequent passage to 1 position, center #1 tank is emptied. Once empty, engines cut-off and no other tank is solicited.

If you want to "tap" on auxiliary-main wing tanks again, you must cut-off the engines, either by selecting an empty tank or by cutting the engines, en restart them by pressing the E key.

CONCLUSION

The Fw190A only has center tanks and this gauge will work perfectly on them. But you have to remember that, if you don't click on it, it will empty the tanks in the "no gauge" order and start with the center #3 or #2, whichever contains fuel, tank despite pointing initially to the number 1 position. You can also use wing tanks as long as you do not click on the gauge or, if you do, by restarting your engines as described above.

You can modify the appearance of the gauge but must remember that, being a "clustered" gauge, it will show on any other aircraft associated to that gauge. I strongly suggest that you rename it before starting modifications. All bitmaps appear to have transparency in them. Also remember to make the change for both resolution.