FS9 movie - Australian scenery question

Thread: FS9 movie - Australian scenery question

FS9 movie - Australian scenery question

I am now in the process of collecting models and props for a FS9 flight sim video about the 1934 MacRobertson air race. One of the highlights of the movie will be the emergency landing of the KLM DC-2 at the Albury racetrack in Australia. One of the features for these scenes will be the towns people driving their cars and trucks to the racetrack so that they could line up and down the infield and use their headlights to light the field so that the plane could land.

I'm collecting a bunch of models of old cars. My question to the Australian members of the forums. Would these old cars have had their steering wheels moved from the left side of the car to the right side when they were imported into the country, or would they have been left the way they were originally made and the driver just got used to it.

Attachment 15648

Thanks

X_eidos2

'strewth, d'no cobber!

Charter Member 2011
    90% sure they were not modified.
    Looking forward to the movie...

Most likely would have been been converted to or imported as right hand drive as until the 60's or 70's or so Australia was very pro British on a lot of things and nearly always took their lead on everything.

Local production of cars back then would have been RHD,although usually a lot of the major parts were imported ( first fully made local car wasn't until the very late 40's)

I had a bit of a look around on the net,and found some pics of old Ford model T's and a Chevy plus some others as RHD from that era.

Charter Member 2011
    Cars that were built for the Australian market (or the British market, actually) were RHD.
    Vehicles imported from the US or elsewhere as LHD stayed that way - it was way too expensive to convert a "normal" car.

So the answer is: you can have both in your movie.

Thank you all for the insights. While the cars will only be on screen for a few seconds, I want them to look right to all audiences.

I never realized what a big deal the MacRobertson race was until I started doing research for the video. There's a wealth of info on the internet as well.

Here's my favorite photo at the moment:

Attachment 16165

Members who have read this thread: 0