FSX High Poly Models to FS9? Yes...

Thread: FSX High Poly Models to FS9? Yes...

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

FSX High Poly Models to FS9? Yes...

Hey all,

For the Developers...

If you are interested in exporting your high poly models into FS2004, and you use Gmax or can put your model into Gmax, (FS2004 SDK version), then I have a tutorial I have just created that will walk you through how its done.

Its about 30+ pages as I wanted to cover 'everything' so that there should be no questions. I also did picture like flow charts to show how its done as well as a few screenshots.

This is in MOV format (Apple of course) so you will need something that plays MOV format, such as Quicktime, which the base program is free download.

Click screen to advance pages.

Sorry, no background music...

Download here; http://lionheartworld.net/misc/FS9_U...m_for_Gmax.mov

Let me know if you have questions about it.

NOTE: This is for people using Gmax, FS2004 SDK version. There will be a tutorial by PropTrash on doing this in FSDS. Its quite similar but X files coding is different when adjusting scales for the 4MM bypass.

Tutorial done in Keynote from the Apple iWork office suite.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Blog Entries
    That is some very good news Bill! Outstanding development!
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Hey all,

For the Developers...

If you are interested in exporting your high poly models into FS2004, and you use Gmax or can put your model into Gmax, (FS2004 SDK version), then I have a tutorial I have just created that will walk you through how its done.

Its about 30+ pages as I wanted to cover 'everything' so that there should be no questions. I also did picture like flow charts to show how its done as well as a few screenshots.

This is in MOV format (Apple of course) so you will need something that plays MOV format, such as Quicktime, which the base program is free download.

Click screen to advance pages.

Sorry, no background music...

Download here; http://lionheartworld.net/misc/FS9_U...m_for_Gmax.mov

Let me know if you have questions about it.

NOTE: This is for people using Gmax, FS2004 SDK version. There will be a tutorial by PropTrash on doing this in FSDS. Its quite similar but X files coding is different when adjusting scales for the 4MM bypass.

Tutorial done in Keynote from the Apple iWork office suite.

Bill
    What are you going to do now ?, your life is empty, I mean you've been after this fix for years and now what are you going to bang your head over LOL.

Well done for sticking at it, sadly for me its too late, I'm Fsx only these days but the 3mm bug was always an issue, there was one complex work around where you scaled 10x then later rescaled the x mdl after compilation, maybe thats whats sort of whats going on here. BTW did I see you post right in the BWB thread about no poly limit in FS9 now ?, now thats an achievement, biggest I ever got through was the AS B-24 at 73K.

Kindest

Michael

SOH-CM-2014
    Hey Michael,

lololol... Yes, its quite a huge victory or blessing.

What will I do now? Create some awesome interiors for FS9.

You said about scaling up the model 10X and changing the file settings? Yes, that is one way. Scale up the model 16X (works better mathmatically), then reset 'Super_Scale' in the main ASM before compiling with BGLC-9.exe.

Another clean way is to reset the WORLDSCALE in the X files, then reset the 'Super_Scale' back down to 2 or so in the ASM. With Gmax, the WORLDSCALE is changed from 0.000977 to 0.015632. This way, you do not have to scale up your model in Gmax or FSDS. (That is a real pain, especially with working in proper scale. I suggest the X files editing).

By the way, if you downloaded this tutorial 'before' I posted 'this' post here, then please redownload it. I found a small section missing and its now installed and reuploaded.

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Thanks Bill,

I'll definitely have a look see. FS9 has more tools for movie making than FSX, so I'll probably have a use in the near future.

In answer to Michael's question about what you're going to do next. Well I thought a device that would re-insert white eyebrows would be in order. Now that would be a different kind of plug-in.

John MacKay

I think a powerpoint presentation or simple .pdf would have worked better...

Anyways, there's still the problem with textures. You'd have to significantly alter the mapping and materials to "revert" from native 2048 size textures to the old 1024s and spec and bump maps.
    With the missing possibility to control material properties with a spec map you'll have create a lot more materials which in turn degrades aircraft performance.
    Also, FS9 doesn't get along with bones, so "boned" features like lightsplashes won't work.

So if someone is crazy and willing enough to backwards-engineer FSX models with a lot of effort, why not...

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I had thought I remembered that Keynote did export as PDF. I was wrong. But it has a PowerPoint export option. I'll upload that one also.

Anyways, there's still the problem with textures. You'd have to significantly alter the mapping and materials to "revert" from native 2048 size textures to the old 1024s and spec and bump maps.
    Actually, 2048 is identical to 1024/32bit. Either more density or more realestate, comes out the same.

With the missing possibility to control material properties with a spec map you'll have create a lot more materials which in turn degrades aircraft performance.
    Actually, in FSX, you have 'many many' materials that have 3 to 7 different textures 'each'... Thats say an average of 35 textures for just 5 materials at 7 textures each, (spec, bump, reflection, diffuse, light, ramp, etc, etc). With FS9, you have Diffuse, light, spec. Spec is rarely used. Even lightmaps are rarely used, only the solid black for reflective textures.

But..... You dont have bumps in FS9.
    But.... (but) with infinite polygon limits, you could model your rivets, lol...

Also, FS9 doesn't get along with bones, so "boned" features like lightsplashes won't work.
    There is the Russian FS2004 light bloom addon, if thats is what you are talking about on light splashes. But on Bones, nope. Though I do not know many people that have created bones in their models, besides Robert Kerr/N2056.

So if someone is crazy and willing enough to backwards-engineer FSX models with a lot of effort, why not...
    Not alot of effort actually.
    * Create new scene in FSX Gmax
    * Create basic textures using FS9 option when creating materials, drag/drop master Diffuse texture into texture slot
    * Use 'Select Parts by Material' to mass select parts, apply new FS9 materials to them. Continue till all parts are remapped to FS9 textures
    * Delete animation points in reverse and bring parts like props, tires back to nuetral zero point, rename them with FS9 animation tags
    * Rename all parts animated with FS9 animation tags, use 'key' animation name tags with ailerons, rudders, elevators, flaps, etc, so you do not have to delete the animations.
    * Create new FS9 Gmax scene, import/merge plane in FSX format into new scene
    * Export, save, install, test.

I have already been running it through in my mind what all has to be done to revert an FSX bird into FS9 format.

Charter Member 2011
    There is the Russian FS2004 light bloom addon, if thats is what you are talking about on light splashes. But on Bones, nope. Though I do not know many people that have created bones in their models, besides Robert Kerr/N2056.
    he means lights like the ones used on the lotus L-39 (check the pics) http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...oducts_id=2214
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    he means lights like the ones used on the lotus L-39 (check the pics) http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...oducts_id=2214
    ...or one's used on the DA42 FSX version, the CJ1+ (not yet released), the MilViz C310R...

...or even his own DO328T he's working on... :ernae:
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Nothing like a nice piece of supportive comment...

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    ...Agreed. Uncalled for. Period.
    Matt

Actually, 2048 is identical to 1024/32bit. Either more density or more realestate, comes out the same.
    Hm, right. Didn't think of that.

Actually, in FSX, you have 'many many' materials that have 3 to 7 different textures 'each'... Thats say an average of 35 textures for just 5 materials at 7 textures each, (spec, bump, reflection, diffuse, light, ramp, etc, etc). With FS9, you have Diffuse, light, spec. Spec is rarely used. Even lightmaps are rarely used, only the solid black for reflective textures.
    FS9 really supports specular maps? Or do you mean specular LEVELS that can be set for every material?

Anyways, what I actually was on about was that I, for example, have parts of varying "shinyness" on a single texture sheet. Using a specular map for the FSX model, I can control the reflectivity of those parts. Say metal parts = bright, painted parts = dull (depending on paint used....glossy, non-glossy, etc...).
    Without the spec map texture, building a FS9 model, I'd have to set up another material with a different specular color and level (in "Blinn Basic Parameters" in the Material Editor) just for the "shiny" parts, right?

But..... You dont have bumps in FS9.
    But.... (but) with infinite polygon limits, you could model your rivets, lol...
    LoL, too true.

See Stiz' and Bill's replies below.

Not alot of effort actually.
    * Create new scene in FSX Gmax
    * Create basic textures using FS9 option when creating materials, drag/drop master Diffuse texture into texture slot
    * Use 'Select Parts by Material' to mass select parts, apply new FS9 materials to them. Continue till all parts are remapped to FS9 textures
    * Delete animation points in reverse and bring parts like props, tires back to nuetral zero point, rename them with FS9 animation tags
    * Rename all parts animated with FS9 animation tags, use 'key' animation name tags with ailerons, rudders, elevators, flaps, etc, so you do not have to delete the animations.
    * Create new FS9 Gmax scene, import/merge plane in FSX format into new scene
    * Export, save, install, test.

I have already been running it through in my mind what all has to be done to revert an FSX bird into FS9 format.
    Okay, so it's basically the reverse of the process needed to convert a FS9 model to FSX standard.

The thing is, that I got one to two queries if I ever intended to do my Do328 for FS9 as well. I declined, but offered my source files to anyone willing to attempt a conversion. With a good tutorial on hand (I know that you can do those. Your tut on FSX materials is really helpful!) the whole conversion process might be doable for the inexperienced as well increasing the chance of the FS9ers getting their up-to-date Do328. :d

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    ...or one's used on the DA42 FSX version, the CJ1+ (not yet released), the MilViz C310R...

...or even his own DO328T he's working on... :ernae:
    Exactly².

I am Björn K. and I'm using bones in my aircraft. :redf: :d

( You forgot the VRS F-18E though. After all, it was Jon who gave us the excellent tutorial on light splashes! )

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixthreeone View Post
    ...Agreed. Uncalled for. Period.
    Goodness gracious guys, I've never intended to crash into Lionheart's parade!

I've only had questions and concerns on the technical side of the process. No harm intended at all.

SOH-CM-2014
    No harm done Bjoern. I knew where you were coming from.

:ernae:

Note; it is faster to convert to FS9 from FSX then to convert from FS9 to FSX. FSX has sophisticated materials and all parts must be hand animated while FS9 has just basic materials and alot of the parts do not require animation, (basics that is, like tires, control surfaces, props, etc).

Code is also super basic and is in standard XML in FS2004. (Unless you have only learned FSX exclusively and do not know anything about FS9, then you are into another code learning experience....)

Bill

(Unless you have only learned FSX exclusively and do not know anything about FS9, then you are into another code learning experience....)
    Ummm...what's the difference?

Charter Member 2011
    Ummm...what's the difference?
    capital letters and other little things which dont sound like much but are a royal pain when converting code

Note; it is faster to convert to FS9 from FSX then to convert from FS9 to FSX. FSX has sophisticated materials and all parts must be hand animated while FS9 has just basic materials and alot of the parts do not require animation, (basics that is, like tires, control surfaces, props, etc).
    allthough you do have to make sure you name your parts right, i'm useless at that, i tend to call mine what they look like ... so a circle thingi will be well .. circle_thingi!
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Originally Posted by Lionheart

Hm, right. Didn't think of that.
    Hang on, is it right? 2048 resolution is twice that of 1024, think of all the detail you can/cannot do. Surely 2048 dds loss is not so serious as to to cancel that out?

capital letters and other little things which dont sound like much but are a royal pain when converting code
    Tell me about it... xP

Members who have read this thread: 0