And then there were two (Aerosoft cancels A-10) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And then there were two (Aerosoft cancels A-10)

Aaaaaaaaactually, those are napalm bombs..
    You sure? Look more like practice bombs to me...

Does seem to be carrying a lot of drop tanks mind, probably should have put in some internal fuel!

Blog Entries
    yeah, i'm pretty sure.. but i've been wrong before..

It's mostly the fact they're blue which is generally used to denote practice ammo, light red is used for napalm. Generally on live ammo they just use coloured bands and paint the rest olive drab.
    Obviously this doesn't include BAe's marketing ideas (riot control Sea Dart anyone?) or fibreglass dummies (Yeovilton's gate guard is not 'that' tooled up!).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post

Does seem to be carrying a lot of drop tanks mind, probably should have put in some internal fuel!
    Wellll, it DID carry 507 gallons internally.. quite a bit for those little engines..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    It's mostly the fact they're blue which is generally used to denote practice ammo, light red is used for napalm. Generally on live ammo they just use coloured bands and paint the rest olive drab.
    Obviously this doesn't include BAe's marketing ideas (riot control Sea Dart anyone?) or fibreglass dummies (Yeovilton's gate guard is not 'that' tooled up!).

That might be just an anomaly with the first picture. Even the wing looks blue, and the one blue piece of ordanance in the picture is reallllly blue.. in the second picture taken in Nam, they are definately what the military at the time called green..

I was thinking the ones in the second pic look like these

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...omb-shell-usaf

First picture could be a range of ordinance to be honest but I'd say the centre one is almost definitely dummy because of the colour and the lack of contrasting stripes.

In the last pic they are practice bombs but they are balistically matched to real ordinance!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

I think theres some crossed wires here LOL, I believe Pam is talking about the tanks, where as y'all others are talking about the little bomblets on stations 1 and 2, in the second image they are practice bombs and the tanks could be either Napalm or fuel, though I'm tending to side with Napalm as they apprear to have a filler connection or something and you dont tend to fill the pylon fuel tanks with their own entry point, its usually done via the aircraft single point filling station, I think ?.

Best

Michael

you dont tend to fill the pylon fuel tanks with their own entry point, its usually done via the aircraft single point filling station, I think ?
    I don't think it's definitive either way, I've stood by a Strikemaster where each fuel tank was individually gravity refuelled which took an age! Similarly I know some naval aircraft had two filler caps on the pylon tanks so you could fuel them with the wings folded or unfolded. I 'think' it may be something to do with pressure refuelling and/or the complexities of the fuel system where it may just be easier to fill the external tanks separately, rather than add extra float level switches and sequencing valves.

Agree with you on the crossed wires! To clarify, if it looks like you could pick it up in one hand, I think it's a practise bomb, under one arm I'm not 100% and a two man lift fuel tank or napalm. Certainly the early napalm bombs were converted fuel tanks so you can't really say!

Blog Entries
    definetley crossed wires.. i was referring to the tanks.. Unless thats an OA-37 my bet would go to napalm.. Nam is a tiny lil country ( 50 miles from saigon to the coast and 20 miles from Nha trang to Camh Ranh ). and that little plane wouldn't need but her internal tanks to make it from one end to the other and most of the way back.. I'm not sure quite who's responsibility it was, but they'd fill the tanks, then pour in this powder that jellified the gas.