Marcel Kuhnt’s excellent BN-2 Islanders

Thread: Marcel Kuhnt’s excellent BN-2 Islanders

Marcel Kuhnt’s excellent BN-2 Islanders

Available from his website http://www.m-r-software.de/ , these are really fine re-creations of the series of “island-hoppers” from the Isle of Wight.

Despite reading and re-reading all of Marcel’s documentation I have not been able to solve three problems:

1. There are no internal sounds
    2. I cannot load the passengers nor “put stairs to the door”
    3. The pushback “truck” only appears briefly (flashing)

I have downloaded and installed per MK’s readme:
    BN32Rest.zip
    BN32Snd2.zip
    BN32Snd3.zip
    ....plus a few of his aircraft.

If anyone has MK's Islanders installed, please help me outta this predicament!

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Hi,

Just installed for testing
    All work good (internal sounds also)
    Please mind that you have to run bn_instal.exe after EVERY install of ANY Islander in EVERY [fs2004]\aircraft\BN-2*-directory!
    Read carefully the documentation for activate the passengers
    Use the sound dedicated to the plane type (number of blades)
    Notice:
    When aircraft view from rear the passengers dissapears lol
    They are not 3D !
    One thing unable to activate are stair and safety flag (never find the famous labels)
    For the doors opening be sure to cut magnetos (overhead panel) or it's a anoying alarm sound
    Pushback work great (it's a man in red coverall pushing a trolley )
    Visible externally and from VC (no flashing)

Seemed an appropriate place to mention that Premier Aircraft Design have just launched their own new Trislander!
    Andy

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    Seemed an appropriate place to mention that Premier Aircraft Design have just launched their own new Trislander!
    From PAD's write-up:
    "The Trislander is a development of the BN2A Islander and has exceptional low speed handling characteristics, extended endurance, increased payload, low noise
    signature..."

Well I can tell you that the one Great Barrier Airlines flies (Livery included in this release) is possibly the loudest GA plane I've ever heard!
    And, back to topic: If you have 5.1 sound and a subwoofer, Marcel's soundset might well be the best ever done for a flightsim model.
    Best tried when home alone, and animals are elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by claudius24 View Post
    Hi,

Just installed for testing
    All work good (internal sounds also)
    Please mind that you have to run bn_instal.exe after EVERY install of ANY Islander in EVERY [fs2004]\aircraft\BN-2*-directory!
    Read carefully the documentation for activate the passengers
    Use the sound dedicated to the plane type (number of blades)
    Notice:
    When aircraft view from rear the passengers dissapears lol
    They are not 3D !
    One thing unable to activate are stair and safety flag (never find the famous labels)
    For the doors opening be sure to cut magnetos (overhead panel) or it's a anoying alarm sound
    Pushback work great (it's a man in red coverall pushing a trolley )
    Visible externally and from VC (no flashing)
    The labels are in the little pocket in the cockpit door. Go into VC and look down and left at the bottom of the door. Hawkeye if you unzipped BN32Rest.zip straight into the FS9 folder, look in the documentation folder for manual_english and it will tell you about the gauge that controls passengers but be warned they're a scary bunch.

WWI started because some bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry.

Always had a soft spot for the Islander/Trislander, childhood memories of holidays to Jersey, and watching the activity at Jersey Airport; seeing those yellow Aurigny Trislanders among the (BMI?) Heralds as always a real kick.

And Marcel did a great job in putting together the set of variations he covered, they stil look great.
    Andy

Without checking, are these the ones that incorporate a little head-bob in the cockpit? Man I wish that was transferable!
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

bull494
    Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    Without checking, are these the ones that incorporate a little head-bob in the cockpit? Man I wish that was transferable!
    Yes...And I agree with you. It's a nice effect.

I had NOT run the BN_instal.exe but Claudius set me straight on that. Thank you.

Following Clarke123's advice, I read S L O W L Y thru the Manual and located the panel gauges that load the pax. Thank you.

However, still cannot activate the stairs no matter I click/click the label in the Captain's door- pocket. And the pushcart mech. still has the shakes. But I got 99% of the prize, so I'm content.

Thanks to all who replied! :salute:
    - H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Where can I find bn_instal.exe ?

Where can I find "bn_instal.exe" ? I looked at the English and German Kuhnt sites and did not find it.

Here I read :

"Please mind that you have to run bn_instal.exe after EVERY install of ANY Islander in EVERY [fs2004]\aircraft\BN-2*-directory!
    Read carefully the documentation for activate the passengers"

In all my experience I have never seen such a torturous, insane way of installing an aircraft. Only a German could manage that complicated way of installing a plane...

Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    Where can I find "bn_instal.exe" ? I looked at the English and German Kuhnt sites and did not find it.

Here I read :

"Please mind that you have to run bn_instal.exe after EVERY install of ANY Islander in EVERY [fs2004]\aircraft\BN-2*-directory!
    Read carefully the documentation for activate the passengers"

In all my experience I have never seen such a torturous, insane way of installing an aircraft. Only a German could manage that complicated way of installing a plane...
    Its a batch file you will find in the bn2 aircraft folder, once you unzip the bn2 to your fs9/aircraft folder

Ttfn

Pete

Members +
    I also forgot about those pesky install.exe's.. Silly me, I remember now the initial install I did, many years ago, & I did an install after I read this forum. Somehow, I remembered to look within the folders, & the memory came back!
    Great planes.

Motormouse,

Thanks, got it and installed the a/c okay.

I just installed (30 mins ago) Marcel's BN-2B in FSX. The zip is 'j8vbk.zip' at FlyAwaySimulations. The ones at 'other' Sim sites have the *.exe you must run. This one does not have any *.exe and installs directly. I just flew it in FSX Accel to test. everything works. Press 'Wing Fold' key (if assigned!) with engines off to view 'maintenance mode' with mechanic. Did not try in FS9 yet.

Over at FltSimCom the thread on this 'oldie-but-goodie' install produced bad 'texture.ban' textures (fault of exe ?). Zippy found this zip with no exe so thanks to him for that. I don't trust that type of install (run 'exe' and put 'dll' in...) so glad Zippy found this one. Why so much BS is beyond me! Apparently he was trying to control the repaints, which is ok IF IT WORKS. Cheers.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Edit: Tried it in FS9 and it works perfect. Just copy the '*_new.cab' to gauges folder (for VC gauges). With full flaps and lots of up pitch trim it will land at 53 kts (ha!). Bogus but fun.
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    With full flaps and lots of up pitch trim it will land at 53 kts (ha!). Bogus but fun.
    Not that bogus, I recall seeing John Davies, the BN test pilot doing single engine STOL takeoffs in a fully ballasted BN2 from the 400yard STOL strip st Bembridge

Ttfn

Pete

I can't get the passengers to appear. Panel view shown in the manual is not what I'm seeing in the sim. Very strange install routine, I'm about to dump the plane and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    However, still cannot activate the stairs no matter I click/click the label in the Captain's door- pocket.
    Hawkeye, I don't see any stairs either. When I click the sign in the door pocket it turns transparent in the pocket and appears in the pilot's window, as if he's requesting stairs from the line crew. (see pic) If there are stairs that are supposed to suddenly appear I'm not seeing them with the doors open or closed.

I have installed the Premier Aircraft Design Trislander--it is excellent as are all of their design, and what is more, it does not have the torturous installation process that Khunt's a/c have.

I did email Kuhnt to ask him about the xxx.dll, no answer.

Nick

Hi Nick,
    I finally got everything working on Marcel's BN-2... I think. I wanted his BN-2A so I could repaint it to look like the planes Harbor Airlines used to fly out of Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island. His sound packages are very good. I'll take a look at the PAD Trislander too, since you recommended it.

Members who have read this thread: 2