De Havilland DH 103 Sea Hornet NF 21 FSX is Out - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: De Havilland DH 103 Sea Hornet NF 21 FSX is Out

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    This hornet rocks

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Ran this model on the Ark in AI Carriers a few times. No issues at all. Quite easy to land and launch!
    "Soon to be Expat"

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i had given up flying for a while
    this just got me back
    cheers
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    i had given up flying for a while
    this just got me back
    Thought you'd like it H ......it's just like a baby Mossie after all!
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Sooo...
    This only works with "Engine Stress" turned off?
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

CG 1976, Where did you get that Gibraltar scenery? I've been looking for some for ages.

Cedar Key - Or so Old John MacDonald would say
    Yes Dains that would be a correct statement. (see the begining of the thread with Noddy's comments.

For anyone who feels the need -- Larry (Tako) found a little niggler after Rob went to press - it takes a little twisting to find - but Rob thought before someone found it he would replace the whole thing -- If you look down into the cockpit from directly above you can see through the
    the floor aft of the seat and forward of the bulkhead.....your choice but Rob has replaced the whole model fixing it....its on the library at "The Pond" now.....also thought you might like to see the NF21s cuter older sister.....

Attachment 14928

Cheers

Leif
    www.classicbritishfiles.com

Quote Originally Posted by mmann View Post
    I tried to load the aircraft on from a Carrier Tracks flight but every few seconds the flight end window would pop up and I would have to tell it not to end my flight. The engines were stopped and nothing I could do would start them! The flight was started with an aircraft that had the engines running. Any ideas?

Regards, Mike Mann
    I had the same problem starting at my local airport. I restarted fsx and loaded a different plane first and the problem went away.

Quote Originally Posted by clmooring View Post
    I had the same problem starting at my local airport. I restarted fsx and loaded a different plane first and the problem went away.
    But why would this problem even exist in the first place? I have many dozens of other freeware and payware aircraft and not one of them, under any circumstances, has ever created this kind of problem.

Regards, Mike Mann

Quote Originally Posted by RyDraiggoch View Post
    Yes Dains that would be a correct statement. (see the begining of the thread with Noddy's comments.
    Just making sure that this is how it was designed to be operated.
    Thanks.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    CG 1976, Where did you get that Gibraltar scenery? I've been looking for some for ages.

Looks like Aerosoft's new GibraltarX http://www.aerosoft-shop.com/product...ibraltrax.html
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Charter Member 2015
    Rob has replaced the whole model fixing it....its on the library at "The Pond" now

Leif
    www.classicbritishfiles.com
    Thanks for the HU,Leif... download link is http://classicbritishfiles.com/index...rtdown&id=1863
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Looks like Aerosoft's new GibraltarX http://www.aerosoft-shop.com/product...ibraltrax.html
    :salute:Bingo

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Thought you'd like it H ......it's just like a baby Mossie after all!
    yup many years ago a really great guy got me involved with one
    loved them ever since
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Quite a nice model, but the FDE is way off, anybody else noticed if you point the nose up 90 degrees with only the 2 wing tanks full the thing will hover! I know it was a powerful aircraft but thats just crazy lol, really nice addition to fsx though! I just can't wait for his Attacker to be released!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by peter12213 View Post
    Quite a nice model, but the FDE is way off, anybody else noticed if you point the nose up 90 degrees with only the 2 wing tanks full the thing will hover! I know it was a powerful aircraft but thats just crazy lol, really nice addition to fsx though! I just can't wait for his Attacker to be released!
    I wouldn't say it's too unrealistic. An aircraft of that weight with twin Merlin's and 4 bladed props with that much area on them could in all probability be hung on it's props in the vertical. I remember my demo flight back in the 90's in an SU-29 and the instructor hovering & torque rolling the plane staying perfectly vertical. Shocked the hell out of me! I've seen a Grumman F7F Tigercat do things in the vertical I had previously thought impossible. But, if you want to know the original Sea Hornet's Test Pilot's feelings:

Just after VE Day the first semi-navalised Sea Hornet PX 212 arrived at the RAE, Farnborough. Eric Brown initiated "work-up-to deck landing" trials. 37 years later, he was still impressed:

"...The next two months of handling and deck landing assessment trials were to be an absolute joy; from the outset the Sea Hornet was a winner!"
    "The view from the cockpit, positioned right forward in the nose beneath a one-piece aft-sliding canopy was truly magnificent. The Sea Hornet was easy to taxi, with powerful brakes... the takeoff using 25 lb (2,053 mm Hg, 51" Hg) boost and flaps at one-third extension was remarkable! The 2,070 hp (1,540 kW) Merlin 130/131 engines fitted to the prototypes were to be derated to 18 lb (1,691 Hg, 37" Hg) boost and 2,030 hp (1,510 kW) as Merlin 133/134s in production Sea Hornets, but takeoff performance was to remain fantastic. Climb with 18 lb boost exceeded 4,000 ft/min (20.32 m/sec)"...

"In level flight the Sea Hornet's stability about all axes was just satisfactory, characteristic, of course, of a good day interceptor fighter. Its stalling characteristics were innocuous, with a fair amount of elevator buffeting and aileron twitching preceding the actual stall"...
    "For aerobatics the Sea Hornet was absolute bliss. The excess of power was such that manoeuvres in the vertical plane can only be described as rocket like. Even with one propeller feathered the Hornet could loop with the best single-engine fighter, and its aerodynamic cleanliness was such that I delighted in its demonstration by diving with both engines at full bore and feathering both propellers before pulling up into a loop!
    "Soon to be Expat"

That's very interesting actually mate thanks for the explanation!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

And we thought that the rate of climb was a little far fetched......the power to weight ratio of the Hornet was indeed phenomenal......Much like its older brother...I remember being told by a
    BAC1-11 Captain for Dan Air many years ago about flying Mosquito's, and that one of the party tricks of the squadron was to take off with a fully loaded Mossie and with the gear and flaps still down feather one engine and roll the aircraft around the dead engine.....not many aircraft you could do that and live to tell the tale. Oh yes, the gent (now long gone) was a Mosquito pilot for 487 Squadron RNZAF so I never doubted his estimation of the DH Mosquito. As part of the Beta team I spent quite a bit of times doing aerobatics in various conditions, but , never managed to do what Peter described , I did however manage a series of rather impressive vertical maneuvers usually ending in a very marked stall turn in which ever direction my foot was heaviest. My suggestion is , if you find the FDE "unrealistic" then you bin the thing.

Cheers

Leif

SOH-CM-2024
    Wow! What a ride! I had forgotten how beautiful the Hornet is! The only problem I had occurred after I got curious and enabled the engine damage- sure enough, I was barely off the runway and I started losing power, with engine fires soon after. I ended the flight and went to fly it again and it seemed the entire front of the plane was engulfed in a cloud of smoke- from both the cockpit and external views. I switched to a different aircraft and got the same smoke cloud. Closing and reopening the sim and unchecking the Engine Damage box set everything to rights again, no worries. This one's very, very definitely a keeper- I'll be looking forward to the other variants! My compliments! Any chance we'll see the prototype paint scheme for one of the next ones? -Mike Z.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Thanks for the HU,Leif... download link is http://classicbritishfiles.com/index...rtdown&id=1863
    I’ve downloaded the file several times now, but each time I try to unzip it I get the message that the file does not seem to contain a valid archive. Has anyone else had that problem?

Stickshaker

If your experiencing difficutly downloading at www.classicbritishfiles.com - go to the support forum there - I set up a thread for Roddymod with an alternative link to the file - it will be active for a couple more days.

Usually Im sorry to say the problem is with the download speed at your end. but the alternative link will give it to you I promise

Leif

Quote Originally Posted by mikezola View Post
    Wow! What a ride! I had forgotten how beautiful the Hornet is! The only problem I had occurred after I got curious and enabled the engine damage- sure enough, I was barely off the runway and I started losing power, with engine fires soon after. I ended the flight and went to fly it again and it seemed the entire front of the plane was engulfed in a cloud of smoke- from both the cockpit and external views. I switched to a different aircraft and got the same smoke cloud. Closing and reopening the sim and unchecking the Engine Damage box set everything to rights again, no worries. This one's very, very definitely a keeper- I'll be looking forward to the other variants! My compliments! Any chance we'll see the prototype paint scheme for one of the next ones? -Mike Z.

Mike - after Noddy and MMann reported the same problem I did a little experiment
    if you read the real F20 pilots notes (specifically the care and feeding of the Merlins)
    you CAN use fly it with engine damage ON however the tendency for most people is to
    overboost the engines on take off....you can do EXACTLY the same thing with Del Palmers
    Dove if you your not very quick coming off the power and Boost after takeoff - the secret
    lies in the correct prop settings and careful mangement of the engine and prop rpm

Cheers

Leif

Mike - after Noddy and MMann reported the same problem I did a little experiment
    if you read the real F20 pilots notes (specifically the care and feeding of the Merlins)
    you CAN use fly it with engine damage ON however the tendency for most people is to
    overboost the engines on take off....you can do EXACTLY the same thing with Del Palmers
    Dove if you your not very quick coming off the power and Boost after takeoff - the secret
    lies in the correct prop settings and careful mangement of the engine and prop rpm

Cheers

Leif
    I'm just going to relate this information to you then.
    I was attempting to take off from KFCA the other night, which sits at about 4000' ASL.
    Prop RPM was reduced as recommended, and when I slowly applied throttle, I got halfway to the 'green zone' on the boost gauge, and both engines lost power entirely.
    I never saw any smoke or fire, so I have to assume they dismantled themselves.
    This happened repeatedly at the same airport, despite making adjustments.
    I have gained enough experience over the years to manage throttle and prop settings properly.
    Respectfully, I don't think it's mismanagement of the quad that's causing the problem for some of us. :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    I’ve downloaded the file several times now, but each time I try to unzip it I get the message that the file does not seem to contain a valid archive. Has anyone else had that problem?

I had the same problem the first few times I tried to download. Each time the file was in the process of downloading I left the download site to do something else. Each download came up
    empty or only partially filled. I had a successful download when I stayed at download site
    until the entire file was completely downloaded.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Members who have read this thread: 1