New Star Trek Movie - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Eoraptor1 View Post
    I have a very good friend who doesn't seem to have anything good to say about Sigorney Weaver; but she fails to realize what Lt. Ripley means to a nerd.
    that woman is just nasty! ew! yuck! ptui!

Silver Fox
    I've been a fan since 1966 (yes I was only 4), and the new movie looks fine so far. My biggest complaint is the fact that Enterprise is being assembled in the San Fransisco navy Yard instead of orbit. My second biggest worry is that in the apparent fight between Kirk and Spock there doesn't appear to be a loose duranium rod around... and we all know Kirk isn't supposed to fight without a loose duranium rod available to turn the tide of battle!

I have no problem with a younger, wilder, Kirk being less gentlemanly when he gets the girl. The redesign of Enterprise, including the bridge, looks fine. The original was built in the 60's and only works in the mind of the original fans. The re-imagined version looks more like something that could develop into the bridge of Enterprise-A or D. By comparison, and objectively, the original looks like something that some film students put together from scrap while filming a school project.

There are a few formulaic requirements that must be met:

1. Kirk gets the girl... and then chooses Enterprise instead.
    2. Spock struggles with his humanity
    3. A nameless red-shirted ensign dies a tragic, senseless death which causes Kirk angst.
    4. Enterprise exceeds design specifications to save the crew.
    5. McCoy needles Spock about being Vulcan.
    6. Thinly veiled social commentary and examination of current events form the backbone of the storyline.

I'm a huge fan of the original series (I don't even like the remastered versions), but this looks like crap. Apparently in the future, all our armed forces (re the Federation), are 19yr old ex-swimsuit & catalog models. Gosh, why not work the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus into the movie? Maybe they predicted the future correctly in LOGANS RUN. You do get sent to carousel when you turn 30!

MCDesigns
    LMAO, love the expendability one Robert

You'da' thunk that after a few missions, the "red shirts" would've held a revolt - refusing to beam down to the surface...:d

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Apparently in the future, all our armed forces (re the Federation), are 19yr old ex-swimsuit & catalog models.
    True and if Kirk is a CAPTAIN, boy he sure is young....

On the other hand, maybe everyone started out in COMMAND positions on a starship as Ensigns...

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    that woman is just nasty! ew! yuck! ptui!
    I see that she has been using her powers again. I don't hold it against you, Cheezy; you're under the influence of an extremely powerful being. You probably even think this posting was your own idea.

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Apparently in the future, all our armed forces (re the Federation), are 19yr old ex-swimsuit & catalog models. Gosh, why not work the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus into the movie? Maybe they predicted the future correctly in LOGANS RUN. You do get sent to carousel when you turn 30!
    That's A LOT of programming, Moses. I watched about five minutes of The Hills with one of my teenaged cousins and found it so completely vacuous thought I was on dramamine...

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Dang!!

I didnt see Trailer number 2!

Had to watch it about 5 times. Then watched it over by dragging the mouse slider, taking screenshots.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its more like Star Wars 'pace' and high details that Lucas uses in quick glimpses but done with Star Trek.

Impressed!
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Happiness Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns
    Dang, wanted to watch it, but it requires quicktime (refuse to install that again!)

I watched it on my iPhone...:mixedsmi:
    Welp I didn't watch it either for the same reasons as MCDesigns, and I refuse to own an iPhone. I don't hate Apple, I just refuse to support them.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Eoraptor1 View Post
    No hate, Dain. I know exactly what you mean; a lot of these "re-imaginings" suck. I'm willing to reserve judgement, though; I remember how many of my brother nerds were up in arms about Battlestar Galactica, tearing their hair out, crying blasphemy as thought they were Jeremiah himself. Now, I personally think the re-imagined show is the equal, in purely dramatic terms, to any show currently on televison, and that includes the critic's darlings like Mad Men, which is also full of sex. We'll see, is all I'm saying. I also know what you mean about the battering ram trailers, but the studios only have a few minutes to grab your attention, and let's face it, sex sells. When Phoebe Cates came out of the pool in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, she had my COMPLETE attention. I can't even listen to the Cars anymore without coming to attention.
    Battlestar Galactica, agreed. One where they got it right. But look at the reason, good writing.

Sorry, but just to throw in sex to sell a movie. Its too easy, too cliche'. Its wrong.
    Of course there was never anything wrong about Phoebe Cates in Fast Times... :costumes:
    (Forgive me, Jesus)
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    Rememer, the story line has something to do with time travel (again). As such, I don't think that bridge is supposed to be that of the original series Enterprise.
    Uh huh. Maybe Patrick Duffy will wake up in the shower at the end... :costumes:

McD, the trailers Gdavis linked to are for HD. Click on the bottom of that page... "Visit The Official Website" and you will see the 2nd Trailer start. No need to install any new QuickTime files. :d

This s=is a movie I've got to see, even if the Bridge looks too modern. :costumes:

Quantum of Solice get a bad review but it make over 70 millin the fist weekend it was out. So much for reviews.... I have read or heard a review I could trust.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled replies. :ernae:
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

It can't be too modern....mini skirts are back in uniform. Gotta like that...

The bridge looks like it should have, based on the time frame that the show depicted. The set making technology has advanced to a point that the future can be depicted. Those old early Star Trek days, only had flashing lights, switches and lighted buttons available when they made the sets. Look at the other science fiction programs made around the same time. They had similar kinds of instrumentation, and they were supposed to have taken place in the future as well. I think the new bridge looks like it came from the future, as it should.

Soso

Yeah, and in thirty years people will be saying how old and quaint THIS bridge looks.

Looks like James Dean as "Kirk".

The franchise made fun of the look of the old series in an episode of DS9 when they went back to Kirk's era.

One of the characters mentioned how they liked "classic 23rd century design".

I think they also made reference to the short skirt uniforms.

I saw some of the props from the original series at NASM about 14-ish years ago. They were literally made in someone's garage (or at least looked like it) - just painted wooden blocks with shiny bits of plastic or metal glued on. You could even sit in Kirk's command chair, which had about as much padding as the first generation of military HMMWVs (I can only hope the latest variants have better seating :costumes. Anyway, with the bar set so low everything else has to look better. :d

Edit: I should have said what a fantastic job the lighting and effects engineers must have done to pull of what they did back in the '60s on such a low budget. :ernae:
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

(link to higher res image http://bigyellowtaxi.files.wordpress...enterprise.jpg )
    At first I didn't like the new ship but from this view a lot of the original shines through. This will probably give away how much of a Trekkie I am but the new nacelles seem out of place. The top clear section seems to fit in between ships of The Motion Picture and The Next Generation. At least another refit after the Constitution Class refit for the motion picture. I wish they just keep the nacelles from The Original Series ships with the bland top. On the bright side the Bussard collectors (the red spinning things on the front of the nacelles) look awesome! (maybe someone else out there understood what i said? :redf Oh well cant wait to see the new ship in action!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi
    Is it me or In the first trailer the voice over for "space the final frontier" sound like Optamas Prime
    I do like the 2nd trailer,for the last 8mths Ive been collecting all of the orig series episodes.I should have the full set by the time this movie hits cinema's

Dain In literature there are only 7 basic stories,there are also 36 sub plots by the time your in ya 30's to 40's ya seen em all
    The trick is for Hollywood to stop relying on SFX and get back to basic story telling,see if its possible to get all of the sub plots into one film.
    To date the only film Ive ever seen come close,is the orig "witness for the prosecution"
    Wozza
    The source code for Vista may very well be the longest suicide note in history

Lol, those nacelles almost look like 747 fuselages attached to the booms. Sheesh. I think I prefered the refit nacelles.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    One thing that DOES bother me is that the bridge is entirely TOO MODERN! :isadizzy:

My son (25 years young) and I always get into a friendly debate regarding the Original series that I grew up with and the Next Generation that he grew up with. It's the usual things, Kirk vs Picard, NCC1701 vs NCC1701-D, etc. And it'll rock along until I remind him that without the Original series, there wouldn't be a Next Gen ! :costumes:

An afterthought: You know you're getting old when you see the re-re-re-mastered DVD's of the Original Trek coming out !!!!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
    Dain In literature there are only 7 basic stories,there are also 36 sub plots by the time your in ya 30's to 40's ya seen em all
    The trick is for Hollywood to stop relying on SFX and get back to basic story telling,see if its possible to get all of the sub plots into one film.
    To date the only film Ive ever seen come close,is the orig "witness for the prosecution"
    Wozza
    I was referring to the Hollywood film formula of one basic story and 7 sub plots. A move up to the Literature formula would be refreshing...