787 Cockpit...what do you think?

Thread: 787 Cockpit...what do you think?

787 Cockpit...what do you think?

Hey folks

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Boein...ner/1743848/L/

Here is a nice shot of the 787's cockpit. What do you all think about it? I think it looks nice and roomy with good visiblity. The angled windscreen comes back far enough it looks like you would be able to get a good view upward. That is handy when you are in a bank and want to look along the horizon. Intersting they go with black and greys instead of their trademark brown and tans. Great to see Boeing stays loyal to the yoke. Never know when you need to use two hands to pull up. Makes good for dramatic flying scenes in movies

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looks like an awesome place to sit in. Lots of advanced electronics to enhance situational awareness. Electronic flight bags are nice.

One thing it is missing though - a tray to put your inflight meal and beverages on. :P

Nice!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    $5.00 says that is a computer generated image. Check the lighting on the overhead console, and the resolution of the ground vehicle outside.

Awesome panel, the glass screens that is. Alot of the rest looks old world Boeing. At least to me they do. The new large area glass screens look brilliant. Also the two entry zones for each pile (4 total) for what look like the FMC's. Must be the next generation FMC they will use?

I wonder what that thing is that looks like a palm control of some sort. The A380 has that also on the center console for each pilot.

Nice looking console though. Thanks for the heads up TJ.

:ernae:
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    $5.00 says that is a computer generated image. Check the lighting on the overhead console, and the resolution of the ground vehicle outside.
    The 787 is actually in Farnborough this week, so the picture is real. The lighting on the overhead panel just seems to be coming from a strange angle, and the tug probably got a bit distorted by the watermark and being shot through the windshield glass.

The palm rests look like they have some kind of LCD screen on them, but they don't have the scroll wheel that's present on the A380, so I'm baffled as to what they're actually for.

Lol yeah it could be CGI, but airliners.net is pretty strict about photo quality...I once tried to upload what I thought was a very nice picture of the Comanche I flew and it didn't match their expectations lol. We will just have to wait and see when photographers get more flight deck pics on that site.

I think the palm thing might be some kind of mouse/cursor device with buttons on the side. It might be an alternative way to access things in the FMS interface, or maybe come kind of windowsish OS to access other functions. I imagine when in cruise with the autopilot activated, the yoke is useless so might as well let the pilots put their hands somewhere. Hope the FO iscomfortable with a left handed mouse lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post

Awesome panel, the glass screens that is. Alot of the rest looks old world Boeing. At least to me they do. The new large area glass screens look brilliant. Also the two entry zones for each pile (4 total) for what look like the FMC's. Must be the next generation FMC they will use?

I wonder what that thing is that looks like a palm control of some sort. The A380 has that also on the center console for each pilot.

Nice looking console though. Thanks for the heads up TJ.

"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by azflyboy View Post
    The 787 is actually in Farnborough this week, so the picture is real. The lighting on the overhead panel just seems to be coming from a strange angle, and the tug probably got a bit distorted by the watermark and being shot through the windshield glass.

The palm rests look like they have some kind of LCD screen on them, but they don't have the scroll wheel that's present on the A380, so I'm baffled as to what they're actually for.
    Might be a touchpad style mouse
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by pilottj View Post
    I think the palm thing might be some kind of mouse/cursor device with buttons on the side. It might be an alternative way to access things in the FMS interface, or maybe come kind of windowsish OS to access other functions.
    It is called the Cursor Control Device. It is a touch pad to control the Multi Function displays - electronic checklists etc. The black area with white dots is called the Display Select Switch and it is function is self-explanatory I guess. At least on the T7.

It is a nice looking cockpit. Probably a lot more comfortable than flying coach.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltzei View Post
    Looks like an awesome place to sit in. Lots of advanced electronics to enhance situational awareness. Electronic flight bags are nice.

One thing it is missing though - a tray to put your inflight meal and beverages on. :P
    The tables are stow-away... look just below the steering tiller for the placard that reads "Table support must be deployed prior to..." and the table is stored vertically in the well on the sidewall. No comfort is missed unless they omitted the Shihatsu Massage function in the seats

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

What I find interesting about this jet is that it has tiller steering (or nose wheel steering for you non airline types) on both sides of the flight deck. Every other Boeing jet that I've been in in my airline career from the 727 thru the 777 only has that on the Captain's side of the cockpit. Even our Airbus jets have left side steering only (I work for the "World's Largest Airline"). Maybe it's there to comply with right hand drive for taxiing in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    The tables are stow-away... look just below the steering tiller for the placard that reads "Table support must be deployed prior to..." and the table is stored vertically in the well on the sidewall. No comfort is missed unless they omitted the Shihatsu Massage function in the seats
    Oh, yes. So it seems to have perfect ergonomics then. Massaging seats wouldn´t be such a good feature in case that they contributed in pilots falling asleep and flying (for example =D) 150 miles beyond intended destination...

Nice, but it lacks two things. Parachute harnesses for both seats.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltzei View Post
    ...Massaging seats wouldn´t be such a good feature in case that they contributed in pilots falling asleep and flying (for example =D) 150 miles beyond intended destination...
    No problemo...50 miles before overflying, the seats would bite you in the bottom :d

I think it's beautiful...always wondered why $100,000 cars always had a better-looking cockpit than a $150million aircraft.
    I'd have one of these up front in the Merc anytime...

Is it just the camera angle, or does it look like the left seat is offset too far to the left? Looks like the yoke column would be up against the inside of the pilot's right thigh and that the pilot would have to sit at an angle to use the rudder peddles.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NoNewMessages
    Only a guess, but I would imagine the seat shifts towards the console (both sides) for proper alignment. Then for getting in or out the occupant can shift it to the outer position.

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Is it just the camera angle, or does it look like the left seat is offset too far to the left? Looks like the yoke column would be up against the inside of the pilot's right thigh and that the pilot would have to sit at an angle to use the rudder peddles.

OBIO
    You are correct sir!!
    The seats on all Boeing jets are on rails that slide away from the instrument panel and towards the outside of the aircraft. When the seat is alligned with the control column there's about 2 inches between it and the center controls. Makes it a lot easier to climb in and out of the seat while in flight without knocking the flight controls all over the place. I can hear the announcement from the flight deck know..."Sorry about the unexpected turbulence back there folks"

Mark

I wish CR2's had those side-shifting seats! It was always a pain (sometimes literally) to fold my 6' frame into the left seat for brake riding without stepping on the radios on the center console!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Somewhat disappointing compared to the futuristic renderings they've shown a few years ago.

This just looks like an upgraded 777 cockpit.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.