what about movies?

Thread: what about movies?

what about movies?

when i read the question about do you cry at airshows, it made me think of movies that have drawn an emotional response from me. here are a few that came to my mind. maybe there are a few for you?

when shu lien holds mu bai's head in her hands as he lay dying from the poison dart in "crouching tiger hidden dragon", and tells him to use his last breath to allow his spirit to rise to heaven, my throat gets tight. i've seen that scene literally hundreds of times, and it does it to me every time.

also in "windstruck" when kyung jin cries out to myung woo as all the pinwheels spin in her apt, telling her that myung woo's spirit has come to say goodbye to her before he leaves this world on the 49th day since his death. i know it's just a stupid korean drama, but it gets me every single time.

last but definitely not the least is at the end of another korean drama called "now and forever" (Yeolliji) at the end, kyung min recieves a video message on his phone that hye won sent him a year previously, just before she died. i don't want to give away anymore than that, in the hopes that maybe one of you will be smart enough to watch this movie with your wife or girlfriend. this movie is very funny, and romantic, but the ending is also very sad.

honorable mention for "sad movie" (another korean drama)
    this movie will fool some of the most jaded movie goers. a very good film that, like many other gems from asian cinema, has gone nearly unnoticed by north american audiences.

don't be afraid of subtitles!

The Llorando (Crying) scene in Mullholland Drive. It manages to be both beautiful and sinister at the same time.

Positively breathtaking.
    Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

The Glenn Miller Story:

At the end, when Glenn Miller's wife (June Allyson) is listening to a radio broadcast, and they are playing "Little Brown Jug"...........that gets me teary-eyed every time.

NC

Airplane...!

Attachment 12884 Makes me cry through laughter!

The final scene in Sands of Iwo Jima after Sgt. Stryker is killed, when the flag goes up on Mt. Suribachi, always gets to me.

A few years back the girl I was going out with made me watch I am Sam. I had something in both eyes most of the way through the film. I wasn't crying it was just a normal bodily function to get rid of foreign objects. Honest. It was just a coincidence it kept happening at the sad parts and the really happy part at the end.

WWI started because some bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry.

Recently, the first 12 minutes of "Up".
    The last 5 minutes of that 12 minute section are done without any words at all, just images.
    But I remember the audience in the theater being a total blubbering mess at the end of that.
    Then there is another section later on in the movie as well...

Also...
    "It's A Wonderful Life".
    I don't know why, but I always tear up at this one scene.

The scene where there is a run on the Bailey Savings and Loan.
    George and Mary have just gotten married and are trying to leave on their Honeymoon.
    Everyone wants to close their account.
    It's a very dark and foreboding scene.

Mary puts up the two thousand she has in her hand.
    Folks are asking for large amounts money.
    Then it comes to Mrs Davis. (Ellen Corby, who many knew as Grandma Walton)
    The lighting is perfect on her face, Frank Capra did the shot wonderfully.

"Could I have $17.50?"

"Seventee....."

Jimmy Stewart really pulled the scene off, first by standing there in total amazement at her very humbly made request, and then giving Ellen Corby a real genuine heartfelt hug.
    Such a simple act but so very emotionally well done.

"Bless your heart! Of course you can have it!"

Just the way Ellen Corben said the line, and Jimmy Stewart's reaction just make it such a emotional moment for me.
    Also showed what a wonderful, genuine actor Jimmy Stewart truly was.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Recently, the first 12 minutes of "Up".
    The last 5 minutes of that 12 minute section are done without any words at all, just images.
    But I remember the audience in the theater being a total blubbering mess at the end of that.
    Then there is another section later on in the movie as well...
    Totally agree.

The end of Saving Private Ryan when Private Ryan salutes Captain Miller's grave, asking if he's earned the life he's been given.

Charter Member 2016
    Ok - the scene in "Dances with Wolves" when the soldiers are killing "Two Socks" the wolf up on the ridgeline. It didn't cause tears but it really did generate a feeling of rage in me that later I thought was an odd thing for a fictional story to be able to do to it's audience.

The power of a well done movie to draw out real emotions from it's viewers is what wins awards, I suppose.

PS: I'm getting irritated by this odd feature where the last word of a sentence or a line of words is duplicated at the beginning of the next line. Have you all noticed that ? It makes it look like we're stuttering as we type !! Can this be fixed ?
    "Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

Brian's Song and this speech by Gale Sayers (Billy Dee Williams). It has left a lump in my throat since I watched it as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfI_HT39eeM

A list of movies that have made me cry...better grab a drink and settle in for a lengthy read.

Shrek, Cars, UP (the beginning is the most emotional start of any movie EVER!), Monsters Inc., Marley and Me (cried so hard I couldn't breathe and had to leave the room), The Cure (again, cried so hard I couldn't breathe), Fried Green Tomatoes, Steel Magnolias, Stepmom, Bridge to Teribithia, Because of Win Dixie, Twister (when Helen Hunt's yellow truck got killed by the tornado...that was one sharp truck), Dying Young, Forever Young, Saving Privater Ryan (the grave yard scene when old man Ryan finds the Captain's grave), Old Yeller (every guy cries watching Old Yeller...they all may not admit it though), The Mighty, King Kong (the original version and the newest version, the middle version from the 70s was terrible), Cider House Rules.

And no, this is not a complete list...for that list get yourself a list of every movie ever made....I pretty much find something to cry about in every movie I watch. Heck, I burst out into tears watching those animal abuse commercials...but not when the "feed the children" commercials play...what's up with that?

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Magda Goebbels poisoning her kids in "Downfall" got me pretty good.

The last 15 minutes of "Marley & Me" were brutal! "Old Yeller" was another one...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

EVGA 790i Ultra | Q9450 @ 3.2GHz | PNY XLR8 OC 9800GTX 512Mb | 4Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 | 2x WD 150Gb Raptor X RAID 1 (OS) | WD 300Gb VelociRaptor (FSX) | WD 640Gb Caviar (Data) | WD 500 & 160Gb External HD's | ASUS 20X DVD | Coolmax 1200W PSU | ASUS Silent Knight II HSF | Antec 900 case | Samsung 2443BWX | XP Pro SP3

Charter Member 2015
    Most recent for me was Hachi. Based on a true story, a story of pure unadulterated loyalty.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Most recent for me was Hachi. Based on a true story, a story of pure unadulterated loyalty.

aahhhh!!!!! i wanted to see that but i forgot about it!!!! thanks for the reminder, i'm going to rent it this week.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    aahhhh!!!!! i wanted to see that but i forgot about it!!!! thanks for the reminder, i'm going to rent it this week.

Best get some tissues too
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Cary Grant discovering his painting on Deborah Kerr's wall and realizing what really happened - from 'An affair to remember'.