Hope I haven't asked this before. Easiest helicopter to learn on?

Thread: Hope I haven't asked this before. Easiest helicopter to learn on?

Hope I haven't asked this before. Easiest helicopter to learn on?

I used to have CH pedals, and even with them, I never really mastered helicopters in FSX. Oh, why lie, I never even came close.

And now I no longer have pedals, just an X-52, with the "twist" rudder function.

Still, even though I really don't think of helicopters as airworthy, I can see that they might come in handy when checking out scenery such as PNW and it's enhanced airports.

So, any recommendations, or should I forget it until/unless I get some pedals?

Quote Originally Posted by tracyq144 View Post
    Still, even though I really don't think of helicopters as airworthy,...
    To be blunt, I think that statement says a lot.
    I don't think you're ready or willing to learn how to fly a helicopter in FSX.

As a FSX Rotorcraft pilot, I would recommend you use Piglet's MAI-890 ultralight or the Piper Cub for viewing scenery.
    Very good fixed wings for low and slow.

Now if you really want to learn how to fly an FSX helo, the default Bell 206 works just fine.
    Head on over to Hovercontrol.com .
    HC has their Training Center. which is a good source of information.
    Also there are plenty of folks, including quite a few real world helicopter pilots, that are more than happy to teach you how to operate a helicopter in flightsim.

And some folks don't use pedals, they use the twisty stick as well.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

The only helicopter I'll ever recommend is the Dodosim 206 (and maybe their huey if/when it comes out). If you really want to learn, it is the best you can do. Slowly move the realism knob from 1 to 5 as you get better.

Just my two cents. I'm sure just about everyone will disagree with me... but hey, that's what I'm here for!

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    To be blunt, I think that statement says a lot.
    I don't think you're ready or willing to learn how to fly a helicopter in FSX.
    LOL, bit of tongue in cheek. :d

LOL, bit of tongue in cheek. :d
    Yep it was. Sorry.

'Easiest' is the one you learn how to hold a hover in.
    With the default 206, get it to about 55 to 60% torque.
    Let it get light on the skids, very very slowly add a little bit more collective.
    Get it up a few feet, then work on slowly bringing it down.
    Small movements is key.

If you can master the to and from hover transition, heck the rest is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    The only helicopter I'll ever recommend is the Dodosim 206 (and maybe their huey if/when it comes out). If you really want to learn, it is the best you can do. Slowly move the realism knob from 1 to 5 as you get better.

Just my two cents. I'm sure just about everyone will disagree with me... but hey, that's what I'm here for!
    Its the best, I don't disagree.
    But I personally would only recommend it to the serious enthusiast.
    Think the $50+ price tag would scare away some.
    But it's worth every penny if you are serious to learn.

The default with the modified FDE available at Hovercontrol is pretty good for the casual person though.

If you need to learn to fly a copter, start with the default Robinson R-22.
    You don't need to invest immediately in a payware. Keep that for when you will be ready to go for the next level of flight realism.
    The default R-22 is the most easy to masterize for an absolute beginner.
    At first, I'd recommend you to fly it like a normal aircraft, with "high" speed, that is.
    Then, try to reduce your speed more and more. The smaller the speed, the harder the control. Take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Now if you really want to learn how to fly an FSX helo, the default Bell 206 works just fine.
    Head on over to Hovercontrol.com .
    HC has their Training Center. which is a good source of information.
    Also there are plenty of folks, including quite a few real world helicopter pilots, that are more than happy to teach you how to operate a helicopter in flightsim.
    I totally concur!!

Not only is the default Bell 206 a good way to start (some people believe the FSX turbine-engine FDEs are better than the piston-engine FDE used in the Robinson R22, but some other people may disagree), Hovercontrol is a great place where qualified instructor pilots will happily meet helicopter newbies in multiplayer and teach them to fly. One of Flight Sim's best kept secrets I reckon!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Easiest Helicopter to learn on?

I was going to say.... Is there one? :d

I think the 206 is a good one. They all act like they want to send you careening into the ground in a slight, flat spin.

I was once hanging out with the guys online, and I think it was Moses or Willy flying a helo that totally impressed me. He whipped that bird around and was flying it like it was on tracks. Made the coolest vertical approach and flared it at the right speed, spun it around smoothly and parked it. I about fell out of my chair.

So.......... It is possible to fly these things well in FS. How its done is a mystery to me. I have spent hours just trying to hover, lol...

Track IR really helps though. Massively.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Practice,practice, and more practice if you want to be good at it, there is no easy Mcdonolds fast food way to it. If you get a easy flight model, it wont be helping you to learn, just practice!!!!
    bell 206 is a good start. Not trying to be a ass, just the truth!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Marvin is right. Practice, practice, practice.

Hovercontrol has freeware scenery available for both KMSO - Missoula and 4S2 - Hood River.
    Each of those sceneries have helicopter training quads laid out.
    Its a good way to practice control, s l o o o w l y going from square to square...

http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/...0&y=0&bool=and

Then you can get good enough to eventually land, for example, on the little log helipads near many of the fire watch towers all throughout the FTX PNW scenery. :d

I know the Dodosim one gets a lot of hype - and I think you need a good hardware setup for that. I run the Cerasim Bell 412P with a twist joystick and love it.

But before you do all that I'd recommend the default missions with the helicopter. They are good for practice - like landing on a moving ship!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Dain,

Where did you get that cool yellow paint scheme? Is that the stock 206?
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    I know the Dodosim one gets a lot of hype - and I think you need a good hardware setup for that...
    It's not hype, it's that good, Ryan.
    And it's actually quite easy on the framerates.
    It's comparable with the default 206 on my old system.
    The realism factor runs via a module and simconnect.

But again I would recommend the Dodosim 206 to someone who is serious helicopters.
    Someone who would enjoy going through the start up sequence of a 206 exactly, knowing that failing to do so will blow the engine. :d