Flight Dynamics

Thread: Flight Dynamics

Flight Dynamics

As we fly this thing in different sims and in different ways, it is useful during the development to have your concerns and suggestions voiced (if not always resolved).

As an instance Milton discovered that a pitch change occured when switching from a different plane. As I generally don't do this, it remained "there". A simple fix he suggested. Many little hidden things in there and many I just haven't gotten to yet.

Cheers: T

Putz'n away with neutral pitch trim and thrust pitch, to achieve a mild positive speed stability.

Will soon be time to start splitting off air files for each model. Especially the fire bombers which will have very different parameters. Different engines, different weights, different supercharging.

More later: T

That sounds great Tom. We all look forward to that.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

We now have the three basic versions split up, -1-3's and Tanker. The tanker will be by far the most divergent. Engines, weights etc. Probably the -3 set up as the "racer" with the external tankage.

In real aircraft development, effort is made to reduce a tendency to spin, or at least make recovery possible. In our Az Backwards development we take a preferctly mild aircraft and try to add in evil tendencies.

Currently have a fairly mild initial stall, but if you persist it will flip into a spin, which it will maintain with neutral controls. Rcovery takes nose down elevator and full oposite rudder and about a turn. One must take care not to flip out the other way or have an accelerated stall in the recovery.

Spin at low altitude.....

From Corky Meyer's (Grumman Experimental Test Pilot) Flight Journal:

The Tigercat will go into an unrecoverable FLAT SPIN in about 5 turns.
    After 4 turns, it takes a bit over two full turns to recover.
    Another interesting bit of strange behaviour is that the aeroplane rolls faster with its Rudder than with its Ailerons.

- Ivan.

Holy dead thread resurrection!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I used some of Corky's comments in constructing the evil properties. An interesting book!

T

The thread may have been "dated" but certainly the topic continues to be of interest.

Tom's work on this is amazing and for that, we are most appreciative.

I am hoping that Robert will get on this after a nice break from moderating and the P-61 project where he has been doing yeomen's work.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

The Tigercat and Bearcat duo are arguably the pinacle of piston fighter design. That both were Naval Aircraft adds to the achievement. Being too late to the war to have a combat record makes them a bit obscure to many. I remember with one of the early combat flight sims discovering the F7F and it's capabilities. Unparalleled massive firepower concentrated closely about the axis plus it's fabulous ability as an energy fighter made for a winning combo.

The real Bearcat had too many structural issues with the break-off wingtips. Nice on paper, but not in service. Again, this is from Corky Meyer's articles and book.

- Ivan.

Members who have read this thread: 0