Next from Lionheart Creations; Boeing 797 Blended Wing - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Next from Lionheart Creations; Boeing 797 Blended Wing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    are you going with zippers?...or buttons on the sleeping berth curtains..
    My money says it'll be a charge coupled coating that simply darkens the windows when you press a button..

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    are you going with zippers?...or buttons on the sleeping berth curtains..

lolololol.....

'How did you know about that? Have you seen the plans already? Who did you buy out to find this information out?' HH
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

One little nitpic, based on the pics you just posted. It seems to me that either those men in the pic are too big or the plane is too small. As I don't see those guys fitting through the boarding doors and it seems the two rows of windows are too close together to fit two decks if the people are that size. Just saying.

As for it being a luxury flyer, maybe it should be painted like a flying hotel? Hilton Air? :iidea:
    I think it would look great in Tame Colors or Cathay Pacific. Or build it as a half cargo/half airliner config as a transport for the U.S. Thunderbirds Demonstration team. Just think of how cool that would look in a T-Birds scheme! :d

SOH-CM-2014
    I agree. It does look a bit small. I was wondering that myself.

I'll go through everything again and double check dimensions.

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

SOH-CM-2014
    Doors are too small...

Correct wingspan (identical to A-380), and people are 5'10".

Thanks for the heads up on that.

The more I work with this and test it in FS, the more smaller it looks. At first it seemed like a giant, like a Zeppelin, but its actually not.

Bill

Why does it appear to me that based on the wing shape it would generate negative lift in level flight? It seems upside down to me.

Blog Entries
    because the entire body is a wing.. As the aircraft speeds up, the center of lift for the wing moves further back as the pressure zone within the back part of the wing drops.. If they were to turn it upside down, then the plane, like an indy racer, whould be able to drive on its wheels, upside down on the top of a tunnel.. While the overall egg shape of the body/wing generates less drag, the shape of the body/wing generates huge amounts of lift..

looking good Bill....

regarding wings... most aircraft in the civilian sector these days use a laminar flow wing, summarised this is a wing with it's broadest point some one third of the way along the wing/root chord, if you've ever seen a P-51 wingtip you can spot it instantly...

5'10" People... how tall are the doors? 6'2"? i hope so or i'm going to be banging my head... a flying hotel.... now thats an idea, antonov investigated it on their An-225, well that would be a flying cruise liner... now wheres the cruise liner i remember as a kid... would look good in some shipping colours with some cargo doors... Bill is there a 797F planned?

SOH-CM-2014
    Couple of more shots of the high speed Zeppelin...

SOH-CM-2014
    Couple of more shots of the high speed Zeppelin...

Awesome!

Hi Bill,

Looks sensational!

One thing that's struck me, every single airport that would have to take this plane would need to be modified.

It would obviously carry a substantial amount and as a freighter it would carry outsized (wide) cargo with ease. What would be the ground pressure for such a beast?!

It would never get FOD damage unless the bits came for the airplane itself. Fuel tanks could be enourmous, as Airforce One this thing could circle the globe twice before it needed to refuel?!

Regardless, since we are in fltsim it matters not but the questions regarding plausibility entertain the mind.

Cheers
    Butch

What futuristic tankers...kind of enlarged APCs from "Aliens" (which in reality were modified airplane tugs)...

SOH-CM-2014
    Hey Butch,

Remember, its the same size 'width wise' as an A-380, and the A-380 is getting into many airports with no issues.

I believe it would fall in a similar weight field.

Also, the design gives the aircraft (vessle) a more economic fuel burn, only needs 3 engines instead of 4 like the A-380, and can lift more weight with its wing/body design.

The 'refueler' version that USAF is having made as a prototype to check out will be a 2/3rds scale version with only 2 engines instead of 3.

I dont think they know what the weight would be yet. I would think the same as a 747 with the new composite technologies they would put into this, if (if) they make it.

Bill

Members who have read this thread: 0