• I don't use charts

30 34.09%
  • I use third party Electronic flightbags for FSX

11 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Electronic Flightbag?

Your Electronic Flightbag?

What do you guy's use for charts, maps, etc?
    Just a poll without any goals

1. Just give me real/printed charts/maps!
    2. I use my iPhone to browse on the web during my flights
    3. I don't use charts
    4. I use third party gauges.
    Philippe
    Student Pilot

Charter Member 2011
    i just pick a random airport and go exploreing
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Yea, I use different methods but none of them involve charts or maps. If I'm flying short hops, I'll take a general direction and go. If I'm flying long trips, especially IFR, as much as I dislike the ATC for FS, I'll use that and follow the controllers directions, or I'll dial it up in the GPS and fly it that way.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I use Foreflight on my Ipad (close enough to answer 2) for airport info and whatever is in the airplane for navigation.

Glenn

Most of my 'flights' are to check the latest bit done on a project, and don't tend to be very complete
    When I do decide to actually fly for awhile for fun I tend to do so over the same area I fly over with my dad in real life. I know that area well, so I just crank up & go :d
    Regards,
    Robert

None of the above

I use charts online via skyvector and NACO approach plates
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Voyager when in the US and most of Canada. Great product, and there is a freeware version that does not have some of the features of a subscription, as terminal charts, US Low/VFR charts, etc., but what may be the best of all, I can also export a flight plan to FSX with the paid subscription! I sprung on a limited time subscription a while back, which provided me all the terminal charts and Low/VFR charts. 'One time' paid subscription was just fine, as I do not need the most current updates...this is FS.

When outside the US, I've been using Plan-G, and find it to pretty darn good, but then have to go hunting for the terminal procedures I need on file.

Both utilized on a second PC or laptop via network.

Since most of my flights have been short I didn't use charts much. Since this summer I have real (FAA sectional/terminal) charts for my local area I have used those some.

Flying with charts and maps that I've filed on my computer or that I search on the internet. Following a route including departure and approach rules is not a chore for me more like a fun challenge.

I went to see Foreflight (ther's a lite free version).Very impressive. Would indeed justify purchasing an iPad all by itself :d...
    Dominique
    Asus P4C800/3.0 Ghz @ 3.16-2 Gb PC3500 DDR-MSI 7800GS-Dell 19" LCD-CH USB pedals, yoke and HOTAS.
    Hab Mut, hatten wir durch.

Depends upon what I'm doing. If I'm just farting around and having fun or just flying a simulated tour group (out and back sight seeing flight experience), I usually don't worry about charts or maps other than for the airport I'm using as a base of operations. If I'm simulating a charter flight, cargo flight, or long distance flight I will use the FlightSim map to plan my flight, pick stopping points and destination, then usually go online to obtain airport diagrams for the airports at which I expect to land.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Real charts for me. I like to stay totally current on all the airspace regulations I'm breaking.

-Mike

Blog Entries
    I am like Mike (Lotus) except my charts are out of day. Over the last two years, I have slowly purchased all of the US Sectional and several of the ones from Canada.

I am not concerned if they are out of date. When one becomes worn and torn, I will replace it with a new one. Too bad I can't buy out of date ones for less money.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

This thread raises a valid point about FSX. In all previous versions of FS I've used FSNavigator, which is not only ludicrously convenient to use, but is integrated into FS (so is accessible in-flight without minimising the app). Since the developers dropped it, there's been no decent integrated flightplanner that I can find for X. I currently use Super flight planner but it's standalone and very buggy. Anyone have suggestions of an integrated app? Or is there anything on the horizon? I miss my FSNav!

LPXO

Videre Vincere Est
    I'm in charge a flight planning / navigation unit. Make an educated guess

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

I've voted "I don't use charts" since my IBM Thinkpad isn't an IPhone.

But yeah, it's the Thinkpad for charts, checklists and entertainment.

I fly on my main monitor with a web-browser open on my second monitor. In the web browser I use Skyvector.com for my sectionals and course information and then I use AirNav.com for approach plates and airport diagrams. I usually end up with at least 3 or 4 tabs open per flight with my necessary information. I also buy stacks of recycled note-pads to copy down IFR clearances and ATC instructions from the great guys at BostonVirtualATC.

The workload can get pretty high when flying with lots of traffic in the weather and leading a 4 ship of inexperienced wingmen. The busiest I ever get in flight sim is making an approach into a busy airport in bad weather and having to switch back and forth between ATC and my flight's intercom -- trying to answer ATC and communicate turns and power changes to my wingmen before being able to initiate a turn makes for a frenzy of button pushing and clicking. Without the second monitor and the pads of paper I don't think I could keep it all organized, safe, and enjoyable for myself, ATC, and the wingmen.

A good briefing is also just as important as a good electronic flight bag.

Hi,

Anyone know of a good, free electronic flight bag or replacement kneeboard for FSX?
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Blog Entries
    wellllll, i know where the sun rises and where the sun sets. Most everything else is relative.
    The majority of my flying is done with a special set of gauges for development, a calculator, a blueprint, and a set of specifications. not exactly the stuff a fun flight is made from.. Hwever, i DO find myslf asking one question perhaps more than anyone else..
    "Has anyone seen an airport around here?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SADT View Post
    Hi,

Anyone know of a good, free electronic flight bag or replacement kneeboard for FSX?
    Yes.. as a matter of fact, i do... Please look here..

http://fswidgets.com/screens/efb2004/

Ken Stallings
    Presuming this is an FSX question, I do not use charts nor a third party electronic flight bag. I just use the map that's available in FSX. I generally just do fun flying in FSX.

In the real flying I use a Garmin 695 as an EFB but also have paper sectionals and instrument charts for backup.

Cheers,

Ken

Blog Entries
    Welll, electronics is good, but ive worked enough ham radio events to know that even sattalites go down, in which case, paper is the only ay to fly. preferable with a sextant and compass.. But i never learned to use a sextant ( and i used to live on a boat (blush ))..

IFR all the way with me.... (Thats 'I Follow Roads/Railways/Rivers') and use a road atlas/road map of the local area...

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrant View Post
    I'm in charge a flight planning / navigation unit. Make an educated guess
    Just the way i like it:salute:

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Charts? I don't need no stinking charts!!!

Just kidding. Thing is, I don't even know how to read a chart; let alone use one!!

NC

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Yes.. as a matter of fact, i do... Please look here..

http://fswidgets.com/screens/efb2004/

If I read the information on that site correctly, you have to use a Ipad, Itouch, or Iphone to use the free app. Otherwise, it costs $25 to get their software called, "EFB"?

http://fswidgets.com/shop/index.php

NC