Swiss mountain flying missions

Thread: Swiss mountain flying missions

Swiss mountain flying missions

I found this on an other forum, and I thought I would share it, I tried the first one (free) and it's great!

The guys start their new company with a freeware mission Mountain Flying in Switzerland. You may download it here: http://www.vertical-studios.net

[YOUTUBE]v/YxFwyLcEMKc&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

The scenario is:
    Welcome to beautiful Geneva, Switzerland. Today is a gorgeous day to be taking your first mountain flight in the Swiss Alps. Your round trip will take you over two mountain passes, an airport in the middle of a steep sided canyon and another airport in the heart of the Alps.

This first leg takes you from the grass runway in Geneva up and over a mountain pass named Col de Coux and down to an airport in a canyon. Along the way you’ll be able to enjoy all the beautiful scenery, including incredible views of the snow covered Alps and Lake Geneva, with its word famous jet d’eau. The chief flight instructor from the Aeroclub de Genève will help you navigate and also handle all the radio communications, but it will be up to you to safely arrive at your destination. You are the Pilot in Command!

Includes:
    - Detailed aeronautical charts of your departure, route, and arrival
    - FSX Nav Log, Flightplan and GPS with programmed waypoints
    - Real world voice actors with written text of entire dialog

Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Great stuff, thanks for the HU!
    Anneke

Bump,

I thought there were some Swiss Mountain flyers overhere.
    This is very nice work, therefore the bump.

Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Downloaded the free download last evening and then flew the first leg this morning. Nicely done! I'll probably pick up the 2nd and 3rd legs as well to complete the circuit. I'll get the rewards and then re-fly them with different weather/seasons and my own aircraft selection. Thanks for the HU!:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Hello ...

Thank you all for your feedback ... and to robcap for re-posting this press release. I'm Chris, the owner of Vertical Studios, and I'm glad to see you are enjoying this mission.

I flew this flight in real-life last summer. It was quite a thrill. The default scenery is pretty good in FSX, but of course nothing compares to the real thing. Here's one picture showing the jet d'eau from 3,000 feet (AMSL). You get to fly right over it because of the departure procedures for VFR flights from the Geneva airport.

I also have two more promo videos, for parts 2 and 3 ...

Promo for part 2: Sanetsch Pass
    [YOUTUBE]XK66n8_0Cl8[/YOUTUBE]

Promo for part 3: Col de Jaman
    [YOUTUBE]3o1eP5DDUYE[/YOUTUBE]

Kind regards,
    Chris
    Chris Klein - Vertical Studios

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice job Chris. It's nice to hear voices other than the FSX stock stuff. Adds a bit more realism to it. At your current price, I'm wondering if you are going to expand on the mountain flying series?

Current System Specs:

Hi falcon409 ... thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I probably will do another mountain flying series, but perhaps in Colorado this time. I flew there as well for a few years and so I'd like to be able to build a mission using my real-world experience ... although the idea I have in mind is a bit more than what I did in real life. I also have other ideas for other missions. I'm sure I'll do another series in Switzerland (or perhaps nearby France). There are some great mountain airports in the French Alps! I will probably stick to basic VFR sightseeing flights, but you never know. Right now I'm still focusing on getting my company launched ... and of course getting part 3 "out the door".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I too downloaded this one and have enjoyed the first leg.

I'm madly in love with the instructor pilot (well, her voice anyway). I love a woman who will file a flight plan for me......
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, she does have a nice voice!

Blog Entries
    Chris have you purchased Full Terrain's PNW or Austrailia. I would like to see some missions planned around that! The scenery they make is breath-taking. Falcon409 is right, this first mission is outstanding. The information you provide with each mission is excellent. Except for Gera's missions I have pretty well ignored missions as I saw them as too gamey. Wow! This mission far exceeded any of my expectations.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Just picked up Flight 2 of 3. . .Now I have a dilemma, lol. . .which to do first, watch World Cup (US vs Algeria) or fly the next mission, lol.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Well, flew the second mission which has two challenges: Climb to 9500' in the Cessna 172 without stalling and then land on a very tricky approach. The climb alone takes 2/3 of the mission, lol. Even with the mixture leaned for best possible engine operation I could only muster about 60kts in the climb at 500fpm. I thought maybe I had some carb icing which was reducing engine power, but even with carb heat on it made no difference.

The approach comes up on you pretty quickly, so you're descending from 9500 to about 2300 and landing in less than 7nm. That sounds doable and it is, but you don't get a view of the rwy until you're on the base leg (because of the mountains) and if you're still high, you have to drop like a rock to make the rwy and not go off the end.

Good job Chris, looking forward to the final mission.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Good job Chris, looking forward to the final mission.
    Hi falcon409 ... thanks for the feedback. Yes, part 2 is more challenging than part 1 (and part 3). It is like this in real life as well. The descent from the pass was QUICK and the approach to Saanen really is blind ... you cannot see the runway until well established on the base leg. In fact, if you take a look at the included approach chart for Saanen you will see that one has to fly past the airport (sort of on downwind) IF approaching from the west (not the case for this mission), then fly around a mountainside (losing sight of the runway), then turn around (to get onto base) and only then will the airport (re)appear. Like I said, it was quite exciting in real life.

Thanks for including some screenshots. It was great to see it from your perspective!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Chris have you purchased Full Terrain's PNW or Austrailia. I would like to see some missions planned around that! The scenery they make is breath-taking. Falcon409 is right, this first mission is outstanding. The information you provide with each mission is excellent. Except for Gera's missions I have pretty well ignored missions as I saw them as too gamey. Wow! This mission far exceeded any of my expectations.
    Ted
    Hi Ted ... no I haven't, but I'll check it out. Thanks for your feedback.

I find it hard to believe somebody would name a flight sim company Vertical Studios when there is already a very similar sounding Vertigo Studios. Reminds me of how Vertigo Studios was previously RealFlight, very similar to RealAir, and all that did was cause confusion for customers, leading them in many cases to believe RealFlight was RealAir. I'm glad they changed to Vertigo Studios, which is a much better name, but now I see this happening again.
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem Quad @ 4.2GHz
    EVGA GTX260 216 710/2500MHz
    OCZ Platinum CL7 6GB
    EVGA Intel X58

I'm sure others have made that same observation SolarEagle, but this thread is about the Swiss Mountain Flights, and any feedback related specifically to those flights, not why someone has a similar sounding company name and how much confusion that's going to create. Let's stay on topic please. Thank you!:salute:

Current System Specs:

Charter Member 2011

Always wondered what to do with Switzerland Pro...

Compliments to the lady with the lovely voice, she reminded me just in time to put the mixture back to rich, before I flew my Baron into the ground.
    I've always been faintly embarrassed by the FSX missions, but this is a great effort.
    I'll certainly look into legs 2 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    Compliments to the lady with the lovely voice, she reminded me just in time to put the mixture back to rich, before I flew my Baron into the ground.
    I've always been faintly embarrassed by the FSX missions, but this is a great effort.
    I'll certainly look into legs 2 and 3.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, reminded me numerous times during ALPHA testing ... and I'm the one who wrote the script so that she would know what to say !!! I guess that's a good lesson for me to ALWAYS use a checklist !!!

Thanks for wanting to check our parts 2 and 3. Here are the PROMO VIDEOS for each one:

Part 2:
    [YOUTUBE]XK66n8_0Cl8[/YOUTUBE]

Part 3:
    [YOUTUBE]3o1eP5DDUYE[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoy,
    Chris

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]