RTW 2009 Start Date

Thread: RTW 2009 Start Date

RTW 2009 Start Date

Just want to confirm the race start date for RTW 2009, so I can book the week off work.

Steve
    Proud member of the RTW Team

The start date is usually the first Saturday after Valentine's Day. This year, Valentine's Day does fall on a Saturday, so the Exec Committee may push the start time to Sunday (for obvious reasons.)

I've already gotten the whole week of Feb. 16th-20th off from work, so needless to say I'm raring to go for this one.

Hmm that is a good question I have always just assumed it would be on the 21st of Feb.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Anyway will take a week off, although it's very interesting when th race will start.

The Race Website has been updated to count down to the official start time.

Looks like we are starting on Sunday Feb 15th at 11:30 EST or -5UTC

Starting on a Sunday limits participation for people who can't take time off work.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbee View Post
    Starting on a Sunday limits participation for people who can't take time off work.
    It does.. but so do (near) fatal injuries that may be received by pilots hunched in front of simulator monitors during the designated period of "romance" of a different kind specified for Feb. 14th :isadizzy:

we need live pilots without crippling injuries!

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbee
    My vote (I know I don't have one) would have been to keep with the standard and use the first saturday after the 14th.

In fact I was planning on that date all along.

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    It does.. but so do (near) fatal injuries that may be received by pilots hunched in front of simulator monitors during the designated period of "romance" of a different kind specified for Feb. 14th :isadizzy:

we need live pilots without crippling injuries!

Rob

So you are telling me that you are going to take the 14th and not look at routes and flight plans.

The Routing Rules will need to be out No later than Friday if they come out on Saturday who is going to look at them....:d

ME!

There is still time for them to change their mind but I think this is a bad decision but their maybe other factors that I can not see.

I too would prefer Saturday the 21st for the above reason and the fact that I can't participate much on Sunday due to other commitments. Most of the past races have started on the Sunday after V day, think last year was the first to start on a Saturday.

- dcc
    - -

I emailed Matt about the countdown timer (while it was still counting UP from 2008), and he updated it to the 15th only as an estimate. They do not know what day the race will start yet.

He will update the timer again as required once the date is set, but he set it for the 15th in the meantime so it will count down towards a rough guess of the start date.

So, the countdown timer target currently does not automatically indicate the exact race start.

I sincerely hope that the race start stays on the 15th. I've already got the week of the 16th-20th off from work, and I was expecting that week to be the "RTW Week" from the start.

If it changes, then I could seriously be out in the cold. At my workplace, the earlier you get your vacation requests in, the better. If I end up having to cancel my vacation request for that week, and can only get part of the next week off, I'll be very, very, VERY upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    So you are telling me that you are going to take the 14th and not look at routes and flight plans.
    The Routing Rules will need to be out No later than Friday if they come out on Saturday who is going to look at them....:d
    ME!
    Well now that you mention it... thanks for volunteering Dave!

(you know better than that...)
    Now, for purely selfish reasons, the 15th worked fine here. I could bribe/sneak past V-day but if it's a 21-22 start then I gotta RTW over my b-day... the champagne and cake I could pass up, but the dancing girls would be too great a distraction :d.

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    but the dancing girls would be too great a distraction :d.
    Send them this way - being unemployeed this year - I can give them proper attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Reggie Fields, KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by RFields View Post
    Send them this way - being unemployeed this year - I can give them proper attention.
    Awwwwwwwwwwww Reggie you OBFF! You are SO kind, but I wouldn't want to strain your... eyes.. yep.. that's it... eyes... you gonna need them for racing! (and scoring and reading Duennas and the legal fine print) :costumes:

Sorry to hear you are taking the year off but I hope all's well or getting better. Tell ya what.. if there are any extras, I'll share :d

Rob