CarrierCat Launch and recovery FSX Windows 7 64 bit

Thread: CarrierCat Launch and recovery FSX Windows 7 64 bit

CarrierCat Launch and recovery FSX Windows 7 64 bit

Hi guys

with all these excellent Carrier prop aircraft with us already and more to come (Bearcat from Vertigo and JF Wildcat) I wondered if anyone can help with a problem I've been having. On my old Vista Machine I found Rob Barendregts RCBCO-30 package excellent for launching and catching aircraft but since I went over to a new machine that has Windows 7 64 bit operating system I havent been able to get it to work... just causes the Sim to hang up. So I've been going back to the acceleration method and i find I can usually get the trapping to work ok but not the Catapault launch. Am I doing it right... place aircraft on catapault position... full Throttle then press shift + spacebar? should brake be on or off? Probably something I'm doing incorrectly but be grateful for any advice on this.

KR Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MDIvey View Post
    Hi guys

with all these excellent Carrier prop aircraft with us already and more to come (Bearcat from Vertigo and JF Wildcat) I wondered if anyone can help with a problem I've been having. On my old Vista Machine I found Rob Barendregts RCBCO-30 package excellent for launching and catching aircraft but since I went over to a new machine that has Windows 7 64 bit operating system I havent been able to get it to work... just causes the Sim to hang up. So I've been going back to the acceleration method and i find I can usually get the trapping to work ok but not the Catapault launch. Am I doing it right... place aircraft on catapault position... full Throttle then press shift + spacebar? should brake be on or off? Probably something I'm doing incorrectly but be grateful for any advice on this.

KR Matt
    Indeed you're missing a step.
    You have to "attach" to the catapult first.
    The keys you're looking for are SHIFT+U and SHIFT+I. One if for lowering the launch bar of the plane, if available (it is on the default Hornet), the other one is for attaching to the catapult. Only then you can trigger the SHIFT+SPACE catapult launch.

And the plane must be positioned correctly on the launch pad, not always so obious by the markigs, you may need to move plane tad forward till it works correctly.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

You are talking about Prop tail draggers I think, very few come set up for cat launch the only one I am sure does is the Westland Wyvern.

Check in your aircraft.cfg for this entry,

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = 1.433, 0.0, -2.522
    launch_bar_lug = 10.423, 0.0, -7.42

If you do'nt have a entry like this then accel cat will not work, this example is off the Wyvern you can try adding it and see what happens as sometimes it takes a bit of manipulating the locations to get it looking right.

Just press shift + I that is all you need if you are positioned correctly, as far as I can see Shift +u operates the visual tow bar, no launch bars on tail draggers.

Thanks... i think that may be the remaining piece of the puzzle since they are catching ok but not firing off the deck. I'll give it a try.

KR Matt

Matt I have done cat launch setups for a number of taildraggers used by the Royal Navy which aircraft have you got.

The ones I'd be particularly interested in getting the set ups for are the following...

Flying Stations Swordfish, Vertigo Hellcat and Dauntless and the Maam Avenger.

If you have values for any of these I'd be grateful for em

KR Matt

The Swordfish doesn't currently have catapult hook on points as you end up doing 200+ knots off the end of the deck, if I can get a fix for that working I'll release an update.

Its a great model.. but it does seem to need some assistance getting of the deck because it doesnt accelerate very quickly...especially if you have a Torpedo dangling underneath... I usually end up with a plop and splash.

KR Matt

I've found you need a good 20kts wind over the deck to make a safe take-off. In the war I think they generally got that and if not they used RATO!

Hi Folks

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    The Swordfish doesn't currently have catapult hook on points as you end up doing 200+ knots off the end of the deck, if I can get a fix for that working I'll release an update.
    Phil -
    Did the stringbag regularly use catapults ?

I'd just read I sank the Bismark by John Moffat.
    IIRC, the majority of takeoffs were from rear of deck,
    becoming airborne by/before superstructure.

ATB
    Paul

The ODG Project

I've never felt so frustrated.......
    died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly.......
    yet had so much fun, in a long time.

Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

I think most of the time it was free take-offs, certainly all the books I've read and pictures I've seen indicate this. I've only got a couple of photos of one on the accelerator which involves some sort of Heath Robinson contraption to hold the tail up. With the low stall speed any sort of wind over the deck allowed you to get airborne very easily.
    There's one tail told by a TAG of his pilot running their 'Bag up to full throttle while standing on the brakes, this lifted the tail off the deck while parked near the stern. He then managed to take off and pass behind the island, which certainly surprised some people. I know a number of times on the Arctic convoys they landed by waiting for the ship to overtake them from behind!
    In the 'From the Cockpit' book on the Swordfish there's no mention of operational use of the accelerator, but one detailed account of using RATO. Obviously not a scientific survey but probably some indication of the incidence of use of either method, certainly there was some distrust of RATO in case one side didn't fire!

Hi Folks

Cheers Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    There's one tail told by a TAG
    of his pilot running their 'Bag up to full throttle while standing on the brakes,
    this lifted the tail off the deck while parked near the stern.
    He then managed to take off and pass behind the island,
    which certainly surprised some people.

I know a number of times on the Arctic convoys
    they landed by waiting for the ship to overtake them from behind!

ATB
    Paul

The ODG Project

I've never felt so frustrated.......
    died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly.......
    yet had so much fun, in a long time.

Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Matt, this is what I have for the Hellcat, delete the .txt bit from the file name and you should be left with a zip file.

The hook attachment point has also been modified to reduce/eliminate the nose over tendency when you catch the wire so delete after backup the existing [TailHook] section.

There is a aid to getting the hook up point included which you can use until you are confident you do'nt need it anymore then delete that light.

The Maam Avenger I do not have and as I do'nt think RN used the Dauntless I probably will not get it, as for the Swordfish as Skip said it was not given cat ability as the launch speed is way above its max speed and in real life would I think rip the wings off

Thanks for the help...I'll give this a try

KR Matt