KC-135R WIP screenies

Thread: KC-135R WIP screenies

Charter Member 2011

Now that's an interesting departure for PAD!
    Hope the boom is mapped to something Recorder Module can read, this is begging for a little formation flight...
    June sounds like a good month

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Interesting choice for PAD. Lookiing forward to some Arctic flights with the Gas Can.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post

Hope the boom is mapped to something Recorder Module can read
    I'm not sure exactly what this means but during our research we were advised by a simmer who does a lot of on line multi player flying with buddies that the boom animation needs to be activated by a door opening command in order to be seen in multi player. So that's what we did.
    Fingers crossed ...

Bob.

Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what this means but during our research we were advised by a simmer who does a lot of on line multi player flying with buddies that the boom animation needs to be activated by a door opening command in order to be seen in multi player. So that's what we did.
    Fingers crossed ...

Bob.
    Good .. this animation is recorded by Fsrecorder module

Well, the main exit command is recorded, but not the secondary exit command. If you want the boom extension to be captured on the latest version of FSrecorder, you'll need the boom command to be "shift E". Of course, you could always use the tailhook command, that's recorded now....but I don't know how that command is viewed in multi-player.

Hi,

Well, the main exit command is recorded, but not the secondary exit command. If you want the boom extension to be captured on the latest version of FSrecorder, you'll need the boom command to be "shift E". Of course, you could always use the tailhook command, that's recorded now....but I don't know how that command is viewed in multi-player.
    And that can be not so easy as usually the command is linked with the model animation code AFAIK
    I hope I'm wrong on this ......

We are using Shift-E2 for the boom but it's not too late to change it if that ain't gonna work in FSRecorder.

Bob.

Charter Member 2011
    Please do!
    Earlier versions of RM cannot do door opening, would the smoke (I) key work for you?
    Attachment 10080

Smoke command (I) will not work for that sort of animation. We could use the tail hook command but it's not very satisfactory because it's a user definable command in FS and not everyone uses the same key strokes.

B.

Charter Member 2011
    OK well it's time I upgraded my RM!
    Shift-E then?
    EDIT: Or any of the following:

- Flight Controls: Elevators, ailerons, rudder
    - Flaps: Flaps handle
    - Spoilers: Spoilers handle
    - Gear: Landing gear lever
    - Throttles: Throttle levers
    - Propellers: Propeller levers
    - Mixtures: Mixture levers
    - Engines On/Off
    - Lights: Aircraft lights
    - Parking Brake
    - Smoke System
    - NAV Radios: Nav1/2 frequency and OBS, ADF frequency
    - COM Radios: Com1/2 frequency, transponder
    - Airspeeds: IAS and TAS
    - Autopilot On/Off: Autopilot master switch
    - Concorde Nose Visor
    - Main Exit: Aircraft main exit
    - Tailhook
    - Wing Fold

Looking at the 4th picture I always understood that the boom extension was telescopic but not capable of angular movement. The main boom has some angular movement controlled by the control surfaces but how would the final extension be controlled into the receptacle?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bobmay View Post
    Smoke command (I) will not work for that sort of animation. We could use the tail hook command but it's not very satisfactory because it's a user definable command in FS and not everyone uses the same key strokes.

B.
    bobmay

I have as much modeling and animating experience as I have experience being a billionaire (which means NONE AT ALL), but I think that the user definable aspect of the tail hook should not stop you from using the Tail Hook command as the animation activator for the boom. Regardless of what key stroke combination a user defines for activating the tail hook, the sim will activate the tail hook. I have many aircraft with tail hook animation, and I have changed the key stroke for Tail Hook a number of times...yet the tail hook still functioned properly. As long as the model has the Tail Hook keyframe whatyamacallits, it doesn't matter what button or buttons are pushed...the sim will say "Hey, the fat guy in the chair pressed Shift T, so he wants me to extend the tail hook" or "The fat guy in the chair pressed joystick button number 14, so he wants me to retract the tail hook."

I could be wrong...but I am sure someone who has actually done some modeling and animating could confirm or deny my theory...or is it a hypothesis?

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    Looking at the 4th picture I always understood that the boom extension was telescopic but not capable of angular movement. The main boom has some angular movement controlled by the control surfaces but how would the final extension be controlled into the receptacle?

Mike
    I am going out on a limb here...I hope it's a stong one: The control surfaces on the upper boom help the boom controller guide the fuel extension into striking distance of the plane to be refueled, but the final positioning and actual connection are brought about by the pilot of the aircraft.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    I am going out on a limb here...I hope it's a stong one: The control surfaces on the upper boom help the boom controller guide the fuel extension into striking distance of the plane to be refueled, but the final positioning and actual connection are brought about by the pilot of the aircraft.

OBIO
    This can't be so in the USA system OBIO because in some cases the re-fuelling "hole" is behind the pilot of the receiving aircraft on top of the fuselage and out of his sight. In the USA system the boom operator does the positioning. In the British system, with the flexible hose, the receiving pilot guides his probe into the trailing hose. The KC-135 can use both systems, at the same time, if it is fitted with wing pods with trailing hoses.

Anyhow, the comments here have been very useful and we'll take account of them as we finish the model.

Bob.

The main portion of the boom is flyable, but the extension does not have a hinge movement. It goes straight out, and is fixed along the same longitudinal axis as the main boom element. It telescopes in and out, that's it.

Members who have read this thread: 0