USAF Huey gunships

Thread: USAF Huey gunships

USAF Huey gunships

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o>Hi,</o>
    <o></o>
    A secret and little known part of the helicopter war over <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Vietnam</st1lace></st1:country-region> was the use of the UH-1F/P Huey helicopters by the USAF. Small numbers of the easily recognised camouflage painted Foxtrot and Papa short cabin Huey’s were used to support clandestine/special operations over South East Asia (both Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos), by the 20th Special Operations Squadron. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    This included insertion/extraction and close air support for small Special Forces teams. For the later task they flew heavily armed gunship UH-1P’s with both rocket pods and cabin mounted GAU-2 miniguns. The squadron was called the “Green Hornets” and fittingly they used the "hornet" radio callsign. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    20<SUP>th</SUP> SOS pilot Capt. James Fleming earned the Medal of Honor for the rescue of the 7 man strong SOG recon team “Chisel” in the Central Highland region of <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">South Vietnam</st1:country-region></st1lace>, near the Cambodian border, in 1968. Fleming managed to extract the team from a very hot (and confined) LZ, the enemy was only meters from charging both team Chisel and the helicopter itself. Two gunship P’s, of which one was shot down, provided heavy covering fire from both miniguns and rockets during the extraction.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    The 20<SUP>th</SUP> SOS is still in the secret world of special operations today, flying the new CV-22 Osprey.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    I have painted the Nemeth UH-1C as “P” gunship 65-7929 as it looked in the late 1960's. The Air Force short cabin Huey was sort of a Frankenstein creature with the small cabin of the UH-1B, the GE engine from the large CH-3 (as the USAF had a large stock of engines for..) and the longer tailboom from the UH-1D. The most recognized feature was the engine exhaust which is on the right side and not in the back of the engine. But this I think the C is a good stand in for the Papa gunship and the Huey certainly looks interesting painted in the SEA camouflage scheme.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    UH-1F 64-15492 which was the one flown by Fleming on the mission he earned the MoH is also coming (it is wrongly marked as “7945” in the pics, the nose number will also be changed to only the last 3 digits.

<o>
    <o> </o>

<o> </o>

<o> </o>

<o> </o>

<o> </o>

<o> </o>

Regards
    Jens-Ole
    </o>

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I forgot to mention that the (typical) Nemeth texture mapping was a real pain in the *** for making this scheme…. Almost impossible to find where the small parts where situated on the texture.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    Some more information about the decals on the 20<SUP>th</SUP> SOS Hueys; they were only painted with their serial number on tail and nose and a large hornet painted on the boom.<o></o>

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

gajit
    :salute: Very well done - especially with that paint kit!

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Looking good, Jens!

Paint looks very good. What scenery you have there?

Thanks!

It is the Vietnam (really the entire SEA) scenery pack. Great stuff, which brings the us bases in Vietnam, Thailand and Laos to life.

Regards
    Jens-Ole

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I've been looking for a 20th repaint for quite some time. Finally after the correct key word search, this popped up. I'm a former Green Hornet, so this is a must for me. I'm not seeing it in the library. Was it ever released?

-Jeff
    I pass gas!

Hello Jens, the repaint looks fantastic, where can the SEA/Vietnam scenery be downloaded from ? Mike

Flyboy, you can get it at this link.....

http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/Downloads.html

It should come up in English but according to some of my friends it 50/50 that it will be in French. If thats the case there should be a translate button on their home page.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Hi, where is the download of this amazing repaint? Thank you