DP and sound.cfg tutorials

Thread: DP and sound.cfg tutorials

DP and sound.cfg tutorials

Is there a DP tutorial? And a sound tutorial?

I have searched and found many bits of information and tips about the dp, but nothing complete.

And almost nothing about sound cfg. (I wanīt to give external sound to a glider and I donīt know what commands/triggers that)

And Iīve reached the limit of my knowledge trying to make some adjustments.

Thanks, Discus:salute:

Use this link to learn about the dp.

http://www.cfgse.calebflerk.com/index.htm

Talon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    Use this link to learn about the dp.

http://www.cfgse.calebflerk.com/index.htm

Talon
    Thanks a lot Talon!

Iīll start reading and learning today.

Still in need of a sound tutorial. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Discus:salute:

Discus,

Take a look at this thread in the FS 9 forum. It may be of some help with the sound files:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ad.php?t=37774

You could also PM "Obio" or "Lawdog." for help. Both are very good at sound files and both are very helpful too.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    Discus,

Take a look at this thread in the FS 9 forum. It may be of some help with the sound files:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ad.php?t=37774

You could also PM "Obio" or "Lawdog." for help. Both are very good at sound files and both are very helpful too.
    Thank you very much Jagd.

Discus

I am not nearly as good as Lawdog...he is the master sound pack creator, while I am just a lowly sound pack modifier....big difference between creating and modifying. What I know I know because of Lawdog. He sent me a quick tutorial on the sound config file...just enough to allow me to modify single engine to multiple engine sound packs.

There is more that I don't know about the working of a sound pack than there is that I do know, but what I do know I will work into a tutorial that is a bit more fleshed out than the one Lawdog sent me. With my Adult Attention Deficit Disorder and all the Honey Do work that my dear Deb has on hand for me, it may take about a decade or two before I get the tutorial written up and uploaded.

In the mean time, I have access to a very nice sound pack for a glider that I "borrowed" from FSX...it is for a regular glider....not a large military type...but I do believe that I can tweak it to work well enough to give you the results you are looking for.

I will download one of the CFS2 military gliders and get it installed so I can have a test mule to work with.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have been doing some investigation. I have found that even the glider that comes with FS2004 is void of external wind sound and the FSX glider sound pack is also void of any external sounds. This got me to thinking...which hurt my head greatly: There can be no external wind sound on a glider for the following reasons.

1) The Wind section of the sound config file does not work with flag settings. Flag 1 is internal, flag 2 is external. Without the ability to have the external flag for the Wind, there can be no external wind sound.

2) The only sections of the sound config file that properly work with flags, as far as I know, are related to the engine, touch down and ground roll. Gliders don't have engines, so they can not have external sounds via the normal engine parts of the config file. Touch down only works on touch down. And ground roll only works during take off and landing rolls.

I have a possible work around...but it's going to take some serious work to get this work around to work...just typing this sentence seemed to take a lot of work as well.

In order to have external wind sounds on a glider, it must be given an air file and aircraft.cfg file that gives it a motor. A very small, very low power motor with an ittsy bittsy, inky dinky prop. It could be a one cylider engine, producing 2 horsepower and equipped with a 1 foot prop with very minimal pitch. This dinky motor would not propel the aircraft, it would still basically be a powerless glider...but since the glider would now have a motor, a sound pack could be produced that would use wind sounds at the different RPM ranges. Really it would only take one wind sound that could be played at all RPM ranges and the engine could be left at idle all the time. With the glider now being a motorized aircraft, it could be equipped with internal and external wind sounds through the combustion call lines of the sound config file.

Now...I am not a flight dynamics guy. I have gotten lucky every now and then, but most of my attempts at tweaking air and config files, as they relate to the flight dynamics, have met with utter disaster. So, if someone who has the skill and know how to produce a set of flight dynamics that would give a glider a miniscule motor while leaving the free fall (glide) performance of the glider intact, I can put together a sound pack to give the glider internal and external flight sounds.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lots of thinking!

Hi OBIO.

Lots of thinking. I like that!

One thing: Baldyīs gliders come powerd by, I think, a 4 engine configuration borrowed from a Halifax. In fact when you select the DFS230 or the Horsa in free flight it reads "Handley Page Halifax B. Mk VII 4 engined bomber manned by 7 crew. Powered by 4 Bristol Hercules 14 cylinder engines...."
    This comes from the air file as in the Aircraft.cfg I couldnīt find any reference to this text.
    And from here comes the energy to lift it into the air if you donīt start in midd air.

May be you could add a flag to this "engine". I think in a glidders it would be better hearing the wind than the engine.

About the tutorial, it would be great, no matter how long it takes!

Cheers and thanks for your efforts.

Members who have read this thread: 0