UIVER Douglas DC-2 Video Review

Thread: UIVER Douglas DC-2 Video Review

UIVER Douglas DC-2 Video Review

Please click the image below for Mark Hurst's video review of UIVER's Douglas DC2 for FSX.

Thanks for looking.
    Cheers,

Nick

(screenshotartist - long gone)

I'm enjoying Mark's video reviews. He's got a great presence - very calm and thoughtful. I always learn something new about an aircraft by watching his vids.

Nice screenshots, too.

He has indeed Bill, but I'm going to insist he breathes on the next video!

Thanks for your excellent banner work again too.
    Cheers,

Nick

Excellent pictures, Nick!

The video is nice too. But I wouldn't call it a review...it's more a taxiing/crosswind video tutorial.

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Excellent video review! I like the emphasis put on the crosswind operation. (runway is rather narrow here!
    Thanks! :ernae:

That's true Tim, but what it shows is the capabilities of the model in FSX. It's a style I like in Mark's videos, I feel they are more engaging.
    Cheers,

Nick

Wonderful video presentation ! Amazing screenies ! :isadizzy:

Thanks, Nick ! Rob can be very proud. :salute:

cheers,
    jan

Has anyone converted this to any other flight sim (FS9 - CFS2)????

Now that was a sweet video and this Delta Charlie-2 is just beautiful. Has anyone done a successful conversion to FS9 or CFS2?

What an excellent video, and a seamless commentary. Not a single 'err' or 'umm' to be heard.

Ernest K Gann wrote at length of his experiences flying DC-2's, including the problematical crosswind taxying, in his book ' Fate Is The Hunter ', so I'm glad its replicated.

The 'Uiver' is still on my list of potential purchases, and this video has bumped it up a couple of places nearer the top.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kestell View Post
    Now that was a sweet video and this Delta Charlie-2 is just beautiful. Has anyone done a successful conversion to FS9 or CFS2?
    There's an older Fs9 DC-2 for sale too (See the site in my sig) but conversion to CFS2 is of course not allowed (Being payware). Maybe you could try it with Rob's old Fs2000 DC-2? Should still be available at flightsim.com.

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    What an excellent video, and a seamless commentary. Not a single 'err' or 'umm' to be heard.
    Always the sign that someone has thorough knowledge of their subject. How refreshing and what an interesting video.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Not a single 'err' or 'umm' to be heard.
    I think you would be surprised at the amount of micro-editing that goes into those commentaries! I assure you there are plenty of 'umms', 'ahs' and (er) other choice sound-bites to be squeezed out. I actually video-blogged the process of reviewing the Aerosoft Catalina over about forty days, and there's a bit in there about the sound editing. One of these days I'll get around to doing something public with it...
    MarkH

Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Hi all,

I'm very proud and pleased with the video and screenshots!
    Thanks Nick and Mark.
    And thank you Bill, for the banner, I realy like it very much, didn't know that was your work ;-)

Regarding the DC2 behaviour, also Bob Buck did some excellent pieces on that, some of it can be read here:
    http://home.hccnet.nl/r.cappers/dc2/history.html

Also please check out these attached pictures: they show the work the Aviodrome did on the Uiver last winter. The whole tail was overhauled, all bad panels were replaced, and everyting van covered with anti corrosive protection. All contoll surfaces were also restored and received new fabrik cover.
    As you might know, the tail section of the DC2 was changed numerous time, to increase lateral stability. (2 of those tails are implemented in our FSX package), ultimately resulting in the tail on the DC3.
    As we discovered, the tail was not completely replaced by the new tail, but the extention part was placed over the old tail, and the fairing was extended.

Cheers, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I think you would be surprised at the amount of micro-editing that goes into those commentaries! I assure you there are plenty of 'umms', 'ahs' and (er) other choice sound-bites to be squeezed out. I actually video-blogged the process of reviewing the Aerosoft Catalina over about forty days, and there's a bit in there about the sound editing. One of these days I'll get around to doing something public with it...
    Oh well...and there was Naismith and I thinking you were the consumate ad-libber and orator. :d

Seriously though, Mark, its a concise, focused and informative little review for the prospective customer ( me ) so thanks very much for it. As I say, Uiver has moved up my list of prospective add-ons, thanks to you.

Charter Member 2014 HighGround22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    . . . I always learn something new about an aircraft by watching his vids. . . .
    My thoughts precisely! Wonderful video -- entertaining, educational, plus easy to watch and listen to.
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?

JamesChams

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Very nicely done video narration; you've really got the voice for it, for sure. :salute: I especially like the history narrative in the early part of the segment.

The only thing I would point out to you, as just FYI (since having flown Multi-engine prop aircraft in real life), is that with high performance prop engines of this type or most any type, you want to watch your manifold pressure for throttle power management. We don't use the RPM gauges the way you would for a single engine. And, I don't know if this bird simulates it or not but, in a real aircraft we don't do rapid throttle shifts, as a substitute for differential braking and nose-wheel steering. Rather a subtle combination of the three with simultaneous joint throttle, differential braking, and rudder movements. This ensure that you don't overstress the engine, over heating it, even before you get to the takeoff point and overstress the wheel-lock mechanism/tire by dragging it (skids) into turns; not a good thing for a real aircraft.

However, I understand the point of "why" you mentioned your method. In reality, that is not how it is done because the method would likely result in severe cylinder-head damage fairly quickly and wear-down or break several other parts which might result in damage while in flight; a real disaster for a crew. There has to be a manual out there about this... Great video narrative though and a very interesting model.

Also, do you'll plan to make a DC-3 as well?

Finally, lovely Pic's, Nick C. and nicely presented & informative web article.

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

Thank you very much.
    Sincerely,
    From,
    James F. Chams

Quote Originally Posted by JamesChams View Post
    just FYI (since having flown Multi-engine prop aircraft in real life)...
    Hi James. I haven't flown multi-engine aircraft so I had to rely on my research.

My main sources for the taxiing techniques were the actual DC-2 operation manual included with the Uiver Team X DC-2 and a ten-page essay called how to taxi a DC-3 from http://www.douglasdc3.com. Both agree that taxiing is done using primarily differential engine power, and the latter comments (repeatedly) that using the brakes to steer is sloppy and inappropriate.

I also have the book North Star Over my Shoulder by Bob Buck, which contains a wealth of first-hand information about the DC-2. In particular, he describes how taxiing a DC-2 was a two-man job, the brakes alone requiring coordinated use of one hand and both feet, while the second pilot operated the throttles and, in the event of a quartering crosswind, the elevator control. One of the pilots also had to operate the tailwheel lock, which was in itself rather fiddly and involved. It seems that later DC-2s (including the Aviodrome's Uiver replica) were fitted with DC-3 type toe brakes, but these were still used primarily for stopping the aircraft. The DC-3 source mentioned above also comments that trying to steer with the rudder in a crosswind is futile, as the forces required will often exceed the strength of the pilot's legs!

I think the only concession I made to FSX which, after all, can't approach the challenge of handling a real aircraft such as this one on the ground, was to recommend the use of the tail-wheel lock as a turn-stopper. It wouldn't work in real life as the tail-wheel casters until you run straight and it pops into its centre slot. As FSX doesn't appear to model the tail-wheel lock's effect in any situation other than during a turn, I felt this was a fair trade! There are also some visual anomalies with the FSX tailwheel. If you lock it while it's off-centre, it behaves as if it's centred but the external views show it locked off-centre. I also realised (late) that FS-Recorder doesn't play back the tailwheel behaviour, so my ground turns in the video look like they were dragging the tail-wheel when really they were not. I decided it was too much trouble to go back and re-shoot the turns 'live'.

The only thing I forgot to put in the video when talking about cooling, particularly on the ground, was that I read you can increase the cooling airflow by increasing prop pitch, although sources also suggest taxiing was usually done with props fully fine.

Hope that helps.
    MarkH

Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Members who have read this thread: 1