USAF National Museum

Thread: USAF National Museum

USAF National Museum

Earlier this month I had the opportunity to visit the National Museum of the Air Force at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. This is a "must see" for any military aviation buff or CFS2 enthusiast. I was last there in 1959 when the aircraft were fewer but newer. Obviously much has changed. It is, in many respects, even better than the Smithsonian's air museums. The wealth of aircraft, exhibits, and artifacts is staggering. I was barely able to scratch the surface in my short visit and I plan to return next time and spend a couple of days.

For me the most impressive thing was to see some of the actual planes that fought in WWII. Salted among the replicas and repainted look-a-likes were a few of the original planes, such as the B-24 "Strawberry Bitch" or the B-17 "Shoo Shoo Baby". These were not repainted versions of the planes, but the actual bombers themselves that flew missions over Germany and Italy. Also on display is the real B-29 "Bockscar", the plane that dropped the A-Bomb on Nagasaki to end WWII. They even have the actual "Memphis Belle" which is currently undergoing restoration and will be put on display upon completion.

Snapshots can't do the planes justice and the subdued lighting in the museum halls doesn't help, but hopefully these few photos will give you a taste. If you haven't been to Wright Patt - go. If you have been, go again!

What a great place.

I stopped there between assignments in the late 80s and spent a day there. I needed two days to see it all properly.

Someday I'll get back there and see it again.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Huh, I thought that Shoo Shoo Baby was going to NASM, but I guess she hasn't moved yet.

WH
    With the wisdom of an owl, the courage of a eagle and the grace of a hawk,
    May you fly through the heavens and always land clear. — Unknown
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    I live here and I have never been anything but amazed since I was a very young hobbit by this Gem..
    Even before it moved here from Fairborn, it was a wonderous place to see..
    And now.. behond belief..
    It is still a favorite place of mine to visit several times a year..
    I am grateful the Air Force Museum is near by..

I was there a few years ago.....for an hour and a half....and took over 400 pics! I didn't even make it halfway through the WW2 section of the museum. One day, I need to arrange things so I can spend an entire day or two there.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

poet,traveler
    Took me 2 days to get thru it.Did you get to see the XB-70? Holy cow that thing is big,It takes up the whole hanger ,front to back.:d
    Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

CC et all: fantastic place! I agree the lighting makes photog tough, being able to get close and personal with the A/C is great! All eras covered, checking out a B52, F22 and the Blackbird as easy as a Spad, Fokker or a Caprioni bomber! Sorry about the duplicate pix! not quite awake yet!
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

More pix, if you're close, you have to visit this place, and take the tour over to the prototype hanger, and Presidential Planes!
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.