What do you guys tink?

Thread: What do you guys tink?

What do you guys tink?

A few weeks ago I was posting on AMD's hex cores. I have a great setup, but want something new.

Well today I stopped in to Microcenter and picked up 'afew' things.

CPU: Intel I7 930
    MoBo: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    CPU Cooler: CoolIT ECO:ALC (Liquid cooler)

Items I'm looking at getting

HDD: Samsung F3 500GB SATA
    GPU: ATI 5850
    Memory: 6GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600

Well...what do you think?
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

NoNewMessages
    Check the Giga-crap web site to see if they have a listing that shows the RAM as being "compatible". (Excuse my terminology for Gigabyte, I'm RMA'ing a mobo that's been a pain in the rear.)

I'm still working on getting my i930 er, working properly. But that's on an EVGA mobo. But I can fly so darn smoothly over the photo scenery I work on, just locked at 60fps. That's what I have noticed the most from my older C2D system, how much smoother things are.

Good luck with the ugrade!

Blog Entries
    You should be fine Wulf that Gigabyte board is pretty good... a little touchy but a solid performer! Don't know about the GSkill you are using I never tested it. I'm a Corsair memory freak. I love that i7 930, very very versatile. I have yet to find a game or app that does not do well with it!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Is the video card I'm looking at getting over kill? I have a 8800GTS 512 currently, and it seems to run really well.
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

NoNewMessages
    FWIW, I have a 9800 GTX+ and once I get the i930 working as it should, the video card will be considered a weak link in my performance efforts. It will do OK, but my opinion, the CPU almost demands a newer, faster card.

But I'll leave the geek stuff to Ted and Mason.

harleyman
    I just built a gigabyte X58 (same model)USB 3.0 and run Corasir 1600 on it.....(have to tweak it to run 1600 is all..

It runs hot, but it rapes FSX with a new GTX 440 nvidia ...

Just found out the 960 chip must be warped....I pulled a long rifle cooler off it and put back the stock cooler..ran it a bit...Pulled the cooler off, and not one speck of paste touched the cooler heatsink...Hmmmmmmmm

I lapped the chip and its better..I was affraid to lap a hole right into it too !
    INTEL AGRRRRRRRR

Yes..The Long Rifle cooler was the same , bolted down evenly and tight with a crossbow backing plate..next to no paste on the contact point....CRAPOLA !

it was running idol temps of 58-60...Celcuis...

Blog Entries
    I started lapping all the i5 and i7 Cores to Harleyman. Wulf that 8800GT may have been good in it's day but FSX responds beautifully to the better video cards.
    Ted

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I started lapping all the i5 and i7 Cores to Harleyman. Wulf that 8800GT may have been good in it's day but FSX responds beautifully to the better video cards.
    Ted

Hey Ted... I talked to Intel today...They have never heard of this before...I am going to call gigabyte tommorrow....Its seems that the Die on the mobo may be incorrectly mounted, as when I pull eighter heatsink, there is no paste on the bottom nor any mark on top of the chip to see that a heatsink was ever there....Hmmmmmm

Ever heard of such a thing ?

Blog Entries
    Nope it wouldn't start up if the die were wrong because it would be grounding the processor prematurely. In other words you would not be able to use several of the pins on the processor. I've seen the die warp

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Nope it wouldn't start up if the die were wrong because it would be grounding the processor prematurely. In other words you would not be able to use several of the pins on the processor. I've seen the die warp

Maybe I'm refering more to the lock down frame for the chip that hold it in place on the Die ????

All I know is both heatsinks once removed have no paste on them at all...(remember one is attached with a backing plate and screws...

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf190 View Post
    A few weeks ago I was posting on AMD's hex cores. I have a great setup, but want something new.

Well today I stopped in to Microcenter and picked up 'afew' things.

CPU: Intel I7 930

Items I'm looking at getting

GPU: ATI 5850
    Memory: 6GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600

Well...what do you think?
    I think you did your homework. Here is my current system:

CPU: Intel I7 920
    GPU: ATI 5830 - Gigabyte http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125317
    Memory: 6GB OCZ DDR3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227365

Stay away from the OCZ RAM I got because mine doesn't play too well with that MB. I love my Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, hands down the best MB company and I build a lot of computers and have tried different MBs.

So with my CoolIT ECO:ALC I overclocked to 4.2 @ 72 degrees max after 5 hours of prime and 4.5Gbs worth of MemTest running. 3.25 volts on the CPU, but I crashed recently with those setting while in FSX???? I realized that this was due to the fact that when I ran prime I wasn't running the video card heating up the inside the case or drawing down power on my pathetic 550 watt powersupply.

Any how these were my settings as I recall:

21 cpu multiplier; 3.25 CPU voltage (load line on LVL 2); 1.66 Memory voltage; CPU PLL 1.92; CPU QPI 3.75; NB 1.2volts; QPI link is at the lowest multiplier 36 as I recall. RAM is 1600 8-8-8-24-1-88.

Many people won't put the QPI > 3.5 or CPU PLL > 1.88 but I had to boost that stuff to get the RAM stable at the timings they were rated at while the CPU was running that fast. Right now I have my system turned down to 3.8ghz because I can run it that fast with only 1.25 volts and I want to get a better Power Supply before I run it at 4.2 again. I use the Jesus usepools=0 and highmemfix=1 tweaks and set my FPS to 20 and then enable everything and max out everything in the settings.

the ATI card I have can OC from GPU 800 to 920 and Memory from 1000 to 1150. It makes some real good pictures.

Enjoy and let us know what you ended up with and how you like it.

I finally pulled the trigger on what I had left to get for my build so it's on it's way. But I am wondering about the PSU. I have a Thermaltake 650watt modular PSU that has a very strong amperage ratting, I think 52A, but it is about 4 years old. I have had no issues with it, and it should run the 5850 just fine, but what do you guys tink?